Age of Ultron Avengers: Age of Ultron Fan Review Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, great to see the majority love it. even better the second time around. will go see it again

I was really amazed at how pretty much all of these characters had their moments throughout the whole film. I can't imagine how difficult that is.

Avengers 1 and 2 are probably the only films that have really grabbed that classic sense of hero adventure like Indiana Jones and Star Wars did when I was growing up. Embraces the comic book feel more then anything else out there as well.

Was very impressed with AOU.

Last edited:
Loved the movie. I would probably say same as first, but with better action.

I don't get why people say Ultron was rushed. For one, he's a robot. He thinks at the speed of light. He doesn't need to develop from infancy and build character and such, he just is, from the moment he's turned on. And secondly, he did the same thing in the comics over the course of a panel (maybe two).

My only problem was Quicksilver's death. Would have loved to see more of him in the future. But even though I wouldn't have done it were it my decision, it was handled very well and I'm glad Barton kid #3 has a heroic namesake.

Agreed on both

With Ultron I thought his motivation was pretty clear right when he was created and communicating with Jarvis.

Agreed on both

With Ultron I thought his motivation was pretty clear right when he was created and communicating with Jarvis.

That scene was exceptionally well done, IMO. Whedon did a remarkable job showing how quickly Ultron was able to come to his conclusions. Just like a computer would.

I am super happy that this film gets so much love now from you guys! It doesn't deserve any less! The previous negativity surrounding this film in here previously is baffling to me!

fanboys/ girls :sly: also i noticed a lot of the sour reviews came from those who i dont think the move has come out for them yet, but they claimed to have seen it so it only means #piratecopy, which im pretty sure would turn out lousy because theres a lot of dark indoor scenes in the movie that translates poorly in a bootleg.

That scene was exceptionally well done, IMO. Whedon did a remarkable job showing how quickly Ultron was able to come to his conclusions. Just like a computer would.

As strange as this may sound (in this kind of movie anyway) this was one of my favorite scenes in the film.

Just got back. Spent 2 hours in a row close to the screen but I knew I had to watch it the day it came out because, they're the freakin' Avengers!

I had heard some of the more mixed things about the film and there's really no denying them. They're plain as day. Ultron sometimes go overboard, there's a lot of stuff cut out, some weirdly unnecessary subplots and minor characters and whatnot. But in the grand scheme of things to me, the movie was a helluva ride and pros greatly outweighed the cons. Even Ultron's humor was great to me.

Evan Peters was much more charismatic as Quicksilver, and I've never liked ATJ as an actor but I felt like on paper his character was very much Quicksilver and ATJ gave it his all and most importantly, was enjoyable.

I loved how they got Ben Davis. The colors were more muted but with such varied landscapes and settings, it just really added a bit more mood to each shot. There was more complex cinematography throughout and it really helped give that "Comic book brought to life" feel.

Action was top notch. I almost feel like I have to watch it again to catch it in more detail.

Whedon felt so guilty over Hawkeye's treatment in Avengers so I really liked all the focus he got here.

Lots of oohs, ahhs, whoas and laughs from me. Had flaws, but the pros outweigh the cons and I really enjoyed it. 4/5!

My only CGI gripe with the heroes was with Iron Man. I just couldn't follow him like I can in the other films. Shame seeing as he was a standout visually in the first.

Loved it. In many ways I think it is better than the first film, but it suffered from too many cuts, and you could tell. The pros faaaar outweigh the cons, as I honestly had only two issues with the film, honestly:

Jumpy scenes
Quick-ash dying was unnecessary IMO.

9/10

I didnt mind any jumpy scenes. Overall quality outweighs any negative. Thsi is an EPIC film.

As far as kiling quicksilver i think they had to kill someone cuase it wouldnt make sense if noone died. And they cant kill the 1st liners. Not until Infinity war anyways.

Quicksilver's death affected me more than I thought it would. I never really paid attention to him in the lead up to the movie, and even during the movie he was just there. Wanda was the more compelling twin. When he died, I realized how much I had come to like him :csad:

Sigh Joss Whedon. Refuses to make things dark and gritty but loves killing off characters :o It was great haha.

Eventhough I greatly enjoyed this film and it gave me pretty much everything that I thought was missing in the first film, the only thing it still lacked and the only thing keeping it from being a truly great film.....is a great villain.

I feel like Ultron is going to be a very controversial topic ala Mandarin for years to come but he just wasn't satisfying as a villain to me. I want a big, bad, unstoppable menacing villain and Ultron wasn't that. He did not feel threatening and every scene he was in was punctuated with a joke that ruined any tension that was built up. Just my opinion.

Eventhough I greatly enjoyed this film and it gave me pretty much everything that I thought was missing in the first film, the only thing it still lacked and the only thing keeping it from being a truly great film.....is a great villain.

I feel like Ultron is going to be a very controversial topic ala Mandarin for years to come but he just wasn't satisfying as a villain to me. I want a big, bad, unstoppable menacing villain and Ultron wasn't that. He did not feel threatening and every scene he was in was punctuated with a joke that ruined any tension that was built up. Just my opinion.
He sucks in fight and same as his planet destroying plan

My only CGI gripe with the heroes was with Iron Man. I just couldn't follow him like I can in the other films. Shame seeing as he was a standout visually in the first.

CGI was fine on Iron Man and Hulkbuster was awesome cgi too

I've let the movie sit for about a week after first seeing it, and I've settled on 7/10. It's a good movie with good moments, and gets a pass mark, but it didn't exactly set my world on fire. It sort of came and went.

THAT was simply AWESOME!!!

I give it a 9/10 because like many people have said, it feels TOO packed with action at times.
The theater was packed! The audience (mostly adults) clapped when the movie started, laughed at all humorous scenes and groaned at the end when Cap goes to yell Avenger Assemble! lol
LOVED all Thor's parts and what time he and Cap had (personally think there should be more) the audience was shocked when Thor hands Mjolnir to Vision. lol
Stan's cameo, to ME was his BEST yet. lmao
All and all it was an AWESOME movie. You will NOT be disappointed at all, and it IS a nice stand alone film so stop reading this and go watch Age of Ultron!!!

I've let the movie sit for about a week after first seeing it, and I've settled on 7/10. It's a good movie with good moments, and gets a pass mark, but it didn't exactly set my world on fire. It sort of came and went.

This is how I feel as well. Good moments accompanied by many flaws. Whedon also included several story arcs which people either seem to love or hate which may explain why the reviews by critics and fans are so mixed.

Saw the 7pm showing last night...Holy crap.

Initial reaction: 9/10 for me. This is the best silver screen representation of a comic event yet. Every character was handled very well, the action was incredible, and Ultron was a genuinely interesting villain.

My only gripes would be:
  • Pietro's Death - I'm bummed, as I would've liked to see him in future movies. But if they had to do this they could've made the impact of it hit a bit harder. Show Wanda mourning over Pietro's body, show the rest of the team reacting to Wanda's pain.
  • Natasha's Capture - ...why didn't Ultron kill her?
  • Tony's and Bruce's Lack of Remorse/Guilt - They didn't seem too torn up over accidentally creating a killer AI.
  • Thor's Sub-Plot - Needed more time for explanation. Selvig wasn't necessary at all.
  • Overall Editing - The movie would've greatly benefited from an extra 10-15 minutes.

Highlights:
  • VISION - So well done, and so well played by Bettany. I had my doubts about them pulling off Vision on screen, but it worked so well.
  • The Twins - I enjoyed them more than I thought they would. Especially after their turn on Ultron.
  • Hulk v. Hulkbuster - 'nuff said.
  • Character Development - From Wanda's visions through all the conversations at Clint's farm, the character development and exploration was awesome.
  • The Hellicarier - TWS launch guy cameo was great and Rhodey joining the final battle was so good. I only wish Falcon was with him.
  • Nathaniel Pietro Barton - :waa:
  • New Avengers - The perfect ending to this movie.
  • "Language!" :funny:

A fitting (apparent) ending to Whedon's tenure with Marvel. Bravo to Feige, Whedon, and the rest of the Marvel team.

Last edited:
I don't really have time to give a full review but as I said earlier, this might be my favorite Marvel production and that says quite a bit. All the initial "disappointment" was way overblown.
They did rush through a lot of things, and I felt the movie would have benefitted with 10-15 more minutes of Tony at the beginning explaining Ultron and clearly outlining why he is going behind the backs of everyone on the team because as it stands I feel they rushed into it.
But that's basically my only gripe. The Vision was amazing, I cannot wait to see him in future installments. He truly was as cool as he needed to be.
I also thought Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were pretty strong additions as well. Honestly, I loved Quick Silver in DOFP, and was worried Joss wouldn't be able to top that. But by the end of the movie, especially the scene where he dies, I was won over. He wasn't just a punchline, or a quick solution to never be used again, he was a real character with an arc.
I think Ultron might be one of my favorite villains in the MCU, behind Loki, Kingpin, and maybe the Red Skull. James Spader did a great job of giving him menace while still adding a lot of unexpected character to him.
Overall I'm pretty over the moon about this save for a few gripes here and there. I liked it as much as I liked the first one, and that says a lot. Again, I'm going to have to see it a second time to really make sure, but these are all my initial impressions.

lmao "Language" was one of the better funny moments through the film hahaha

Loved the movie. I would probably say same as first, but with better action.

I don't get why people say Ultron was rushed. For one, he's a robot. He thinks at the speed of light. He doesn't need to develop from infancy and build character and such, he just is, from the moment he's turned on. And secondly, he did the same thing in the comics over the course of a panel (maybe two).

My only problem was Quicksilver's death. Would have loved to see more of him in the future. But even though I wouldn't have done it were it my decision, it was handled very well and I'm glad Barton kid #3 has a heroic namesake.
I think defending how quick Ultron developed by mentioning that he is a robot is silly. Robot or not it still came off as rushed and either poor writing and poor editing. Im guessing poor editing considering I hear the runtime was cut down a decent amount like 10 or so minutes

Quicksilver will be back im pretty sure I think one of the stones would/could be used to bring him back. It seems weird that they'd introduce him and kill him off in the same movie

In one scene Tony says to Ultron something like "He did it 2 minutes earlier than me" or "I did it 2 minutes slower than him" I didn;t understand the reference

In one scene Tony says to Ultron something like "He did it 2 minutes earlier than me" or "I did it 2 minutes slower than him" I didn;t understand the reference

He was basically saying that Ultron beat him to the quip of "clearly you've never made an omelet."

Think it was 2 seconds earlier, Ultron seemed to copy Tony in many ways and Ultron was quicker with the cracked egg comment by 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"