The Avengers Avengers Assembled: News and Speculation - - - Part 69

I haven't been following Whedon's career as many people in this forums (although I did knew about him prior to Avengers), but I think one thing that makes the movie stand out is how well it turned out, when in fact was a very tricky/difficult movie to pull off. So the gratification and the final results are (for me, anyway) even bigger, all things considered.

But as far as the general public are concerned, it's perhaps the best thing he's done that they've seen. Much of his work is quite niche and can go under the radar if you're not into that genre. Buffy was probably the biggest one before while the rest (Firefly, Dollhouse etc) aren't quite as known. Nearly everyone has seen The Avengers on the other hand.

That really doesn't matter, though. The words came out of Whedon's mouth, not the public's. And he's right. He's done much, much better work.

Just got back from what I think is my fifth viewing. The Coulson scene was untouched in our theater; we still saw the blade through the chest.

To me, there are a ton of highlight moments in the movie, but the best is still the first time the group gets together on the bridge, right after Ruffahulk tells his secret. When the Chitauri start howling and Hulk screams back at them and the music starts in... Damn. So great.

That really doesn't matter, though. The words came out of Whedon's mouth, not the public's. And he's right. He's done much, much better work.

While I think that many people, including Whedon (although he is known for self deprecation), downplay all the strengths of the film or dismiss them, I do agree that it is easily his weakest piece of work. I partly assign that to the incredibly rushed creative process behind the scenes, quite frankly the fact the film isn't bad is remarkable.

I'm sorry but no. Avengers craps all over Dollhouse and as great as Firefly was, I also think Avengers was a better overall film than Serenity was.

While I think that many people, including Whedon (although he is known for self deprecation), downplay all the strengths of the film or dismiss them, I do agree that it is easily his weakest piece of work. I partly assign that to the incredibly rushed creative process behind the scenes, quite frankly the fact the film isn't bad is remarkable.

btqVU.png

0pfJM.gif

I partly assign that to the incredibly rushed creative process behind the scenes, quite frankly the fact the film isn't bad is remarkable.

Really? A movie that has been planned well before the first Iron Man in 2008?

1738398_o.gif

ap1yd.gif

I'm all out of gifs, but I agree. Someone is just being silly. :whatever:

A nice collection of gifs. In short, I agree with these gifs.

Wow. I didn't realise what I said would prove quite so controversial. I loved the hell out of the Avengers, saw it nine times in the cinema and think it's one of the top three comic films ever made. That said, I think Whedon's other work is stronger. It's difficult to compare television with films admittedly being as the entire method of telling stories is different but I think his other projects have a better defined thematic through line and meatier character arcs.

I have no doubt though that the sequel will improve on the first in every possible way. The fact that Whedon seems to have complete control over the story and a generous amount of time to write and polish the script is very encouraging.

:huh::mag:shock Are you serious ?

Entitled to thier opinion and all, but...
Yes, Rock, that's exactly my reaction, too.

I used to believe that opinions are never wrong. My faith has been shaken.

Really? A movie that has been planned well before the first Iron Man in 2008?

Uh no it wasn't, not the way you're implying.

The Avengers was definitely rushed behind the scenes, I absolutely agree that it's a miracle this movie isn't a disaster. From what I understand it was an Iron Man 2-esque pace, no room for error or course correction.

Uh no it wasn't, not the way you're implying.

The Avengers was definitely rushed behind the scenes, I absolutely agree that it's a miracle this movie isn't a disaster. From what I understand it was an Iron Man 2-esque pace, no room for error or course correction.

The wheels were not in motion during Iron Man, but there was definetely a plan, the seeds of what eventually became The Avengers were already there.

The fact that Avengers is a sequel to 5 different movies, all of them interconnected between, is proof enough that there was an elaborate plan behind the scenes.

I don't understand what the 'rushed behind the scenes' means anyway.

To each his own about Whedon's work I suppose. Whedon himself said he doesn't think The Avengers is a great movie.

I think its his best work including Serenity.

easily his weakest piece of work.

i won't argue with someone who says they prefer Serenity or Firefly over the Avengers but jeez, "easily his weakest piece" :wow:

thoroughly bewildered. do you honestly prefer early Buffy to The Avengers??

A stronger piece of Whedon work than The Avengers? :doh:

[YT]0RdmprwLhdo[/YT]

does anyone have a clip of chris evans saying "avengers assemble"?

The wheels were not in motion during Iron Man, but there was definetely a plan, the seeds of what eventually became The Avengers were already there.

'A plan' meaning 'yeah we want there to be an Avengers movie someday' - not like a single script being polished to perfection over the course of 4 years, the way you suggest.

Whedon was hired in summer 2010 and rewrote the entire script for a movie that came out summer 2012. That's not much time at all.

Saying The Avengers has been being worked on since pre-2008 is like saying Episode I was 22 years in the making.

'A plan' meaning 'yeah we want there to be an Avengers movie someday' - not like a single script being polished to perfection over the course of 4 years, the way you suggest.

Whedon was hired in summer 2010 and rewrote the entire script for a movie that came out summer 2012. That's not much time at all.

Saying The Avengers has been being worked on since pre-2008 is like saying Episode I was 22 years in the making.

So you're saying he had two years to work on the script? That's plenty of time for any director, especially for someone as talented as Whedon. Hardly rushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"