Avengers: Infinity War (2018) vs Endgame (2019)

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
For people that have seen both movies. Which one is better ?
Please use spoiler tags if you're intend to post spoilers. Thanks.

Infinity War by a mile. It's a great film which expertly juggles a lot of characters (special mention for Thor, Thanos and Stark), a lot of great lines and several amazing battle scenes.

As for Endgame:
Long story short, it's a messy time travel story with unclear rules and an inconsistent tone. It spends far too much time on callbacks to previous films and doesn't really have that many great lines/moments of its own. The big final battle had some cool spectacle but it was a bit too overcrowded for my taste.

Iron Man, Cap, Hulk and Scarlet Witch got some cool - albeit very predictable - moments but I was disappointed not to get a Hulk fight scene and I hated what they did to Thor (if they needed to nerf him there were way better ways of doing it than making him a fat slob that's still somehow worthy).

I'm also still confused about what's been done to the timeline.
  • The world and snap survivors are five years older than everyone that was brought back?
  • Cap traveled back and lived a full life in this timeline which nobody remembers?
  • Loki's alive but that's an alternate timeline?
  • Hulk decided not to resurrect Vision, Heimdall, Quicksilver etc?

Last edited:
Endgame. A very fitting conclusion to ten years of story: I won’t go into too much detail, but Endgame is everything - epic, emotional, exciting, exactly how it should be. It’s the greatest superhero movie ever, IMO.

I have to give it to Endgame as I do love me some character introspection, drama, and raw emotions it invokes. IW is its own beast but Endgame takes it even further in being and feeling unlike any superhero flick thus far and that's what I love and want for the genre.
Love both. They're very different but I just love the slow pressure cooker type film of EG that allows scenes and moments to breathe.

Endgame for the same reasons m2k, plus, I actually loved how they used time travel. IW is great, though, personally I put them very close.

My complaint last year was, that IW was just an assemblance of Scenes where well known characters meet others for the first time. Scenes for which we waited almost 10 years to happen. I was pretty underwhelmed when seeing it in the Cinema, though I liked, how Thanos was portrayed as a very complex vilain. I never got the excitement for the movie and didn't got it when I watched when it was released on BluRay. Last week I watched a 3rd time and for the 1st time I really liked it.

I fell in love for Endgame after seeing it the first time last night. The movie has 3 acts and every act could be a movie for itself. Every act has a different tone and pacing. This was perfect.

After my first viewing of Endgame I voted for Infinity War. At the time I was tired and it was a night time session.

Having had a second viewing of Endgame this afternoon I have changed my mind. The pacing worked better for me and the 2nd act didn't feel as scattered - plus I noticed more in the 3rd act that I hadn't taken in the first time.

I do think that Infinity War's battle on Titan still holds up as one of the GOAT cbm battles but Endgame' s final battle is next level intensity
and we get to see how incredibly powerful, skillful and deadly Thanos is all by himself without relying on any stones, its clear to me that he could have bested post Ragnarok Thor by himself and does so here without any help from the Black

Where Endgame does surpass Infinity War is that
it actually is an ending, both for Tony and Cap. Both characters get perfect endings, Tony gets the ultimate redemption arc and Cap gets the faithful soldier's reward - I loved how Cap's ending played out and he so deserved it.

Endgame is the Return of the King of the MCU.

Last edited:
Endgame is the better film, but had a boring fight scene.

IW isn't as good as Endgame but up until the moment everyone turned into dust, it was nonstop action. Titan fight scene is still superior.

As far as movie and storytelling and reaching a satisfying end to 10 years of storytelling, Endgame.

As far as action packed popcorn flick, IW.

They are so different from each other so it's kinda hard to compare, both are tied for my favorite movies of all time. But for me, Infinity War is a better technical movie but Endgame just has the better emotions (But IW also had great emotions and EG was also a great movie).

They are so different from each other so it's kinda hard to compare, both are tied for my favorite movies of all time. But for me, Infinity War is a better technical movie but Endgame just has the better emotions (But IW also had great emotions and EG was also a great movie).

Favorite movies of all time? How many films have you seen? That aren't based on comic book properties, anyway.

Favorite movies of all time? How many films have you seen? That aren't based on comic book properties, anyway.
I mean of course I know they are better movies technically than comicbook movies, but I don't care, no other movies brought out so many emotions out of me. I grew up with the MCU (I was high school when Iron Man came out), and what Marvel has done has or may never be matched again so that's why these are my favorite movies of all time.

Endgame

Messier but also more thrilling and emotional than IW.

I thought Endgame had, by far, the better pacing. The story in IW was all over the place.

Endgame. Kind of like Deathly Hallows 1 and 2. They can't really be separated, but you need an ending. Most of the Marvel movies were really stand alones, but this one really isn't.

After the fact, what would your must see Marvel movies be in order to understand Endgame? I went with someone who said they didn't understand everything (unlike me, who has seen every, single, frelling movie at least 3 times), but wants to see it again and get it.

I don't think it would be a spoiler to recommend this, so, for the sorta casual viewer, I'd say

IM 1
The 3 Cap movies
The Dark World and Ragnarok
Guardians 1
AntMan and Wasp
Avengers and IW (Thanks Cap Obvious)
CM

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Dr. Strange.

Last edited:
Infinity War.

In the words of 21 Savage "Issa Tie" for me boss, I actually teared up at the end of Engame and I NEVER tear up in movies.

I feel like IW is an all around better movie, but the character work, emotional beats, and overall AMAZING acting peformances of Endgame make up for most of it's flaws.

Before going to see Endgame, I had decided that if I liked it half as much as Infinity War, then I would be satisfied.

The fact that I have to debate in my head about which one I like more is a great thing, lemmetellya.

I think that if I had to choose, I would go with Infinity War. Personally, I find the writing to be overall superior in that film. However, Endgame does hit the emotional beats consistently throughout, thus making it a more than satisfying conclusion for what Infinity War had set up.

FYI after a second viewing of Endgame I have changed my vote from Infinity War to Endgame and edited my post accordingly.

To quote myself in the other poll thread, Endgame and it's not even close. Better character development, greatest action sequence, and pretty much better in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"