Awkwafina is ....?

IMHO, she's the worst part of the movie. Painfully unfunny.

In her defense, when she's not cutting jokes, Katy is fairly tolerable. But I don't know why she's along for the ride and going everywhere with Shang-Chi. There's no justifiable reason for it other than they felt Shang-Chi needed a comedic foil to comment on everything.

But yeah, she's basically the comedic plucky sidekick, ie Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd.

I felt the same way about Darcy Lewis before WandaVision.

I felt the same way about Darcy Lewis before WandaVision.

Well in WandaVision they actually gave her a reason to be there, and they also downplayed her comic relief aspects. Granted, she's still not my favorite character or anything. Katy literally has no reason to really be on this mission with Shang-Chi.

Well in WandaVision they actually gave her a reason to be there, and they also downplayed her comic relief aspects. Granted, she's still not my favorite character or anything. Katy literally has no reason to really be on this mission with Shang-Chi.

Darcy had some comedic moments but it wasn't as over the top as it was in the first two Thor movies.

IMHO, she's the worst part of the movie. Painfully unfunny.

In her defense, when she's not cutting jokes, Katy is fairly tolerable. But I don't know why she's along for the ride and going everywhere with Shang-Chi. There's no justifiable reason for it other than they felt Shang-Chi needed a comedic foil to comment on everything.

But yeah, she's basically the comedic plucky sidekick, ie Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd.
I think she was there for two reasons
1) To be the audiences POV to Shang-Chi and this world
2) Like you said, the comedic sidekick

I didn't mind her as much as I thought I would and she did have a few good moments but

the fact that they're setting her up as his big sidekick who's going to be by his side when she doesn't really add anything is just odd

I thought Awkwafina was ok in this movie and as a credit to her she felt like people I knew in real life. So in that sense she felt natural. Although I wish Awkwafina could just address the whole elephant in the room about her Blaccent earlier in her career. I begrudgingly like her but that whole bit always made me a little uncomfortable. I have very complicated thoughts about it.

I Liked Darcy in Wandavision.
But I HATED the character In Thor The Dark World.
As long as Awkwafina isn't as over the top as Darcy was in that film,
I will be okay with it.

Interesting. I actually always liked Darcy. I thought the way TDW inserted her itself was forced but I loved Kat Dennings' performance.

I guess me being ok with Nora Lum in Shang Chi would be an unreliable barometer lol.

I think she was there for two reasons
1) To be the audiences POV to Shang-Chi and this world
2) Like you said, the comedic sidekick

I didn't mind her as much as I thought I would and she did have a few good moments but

the fact that they're setting her up as his big sidekick who's going to be by his side when she doesn't really add anything is just odd

1. She's not really necessary for that since she's not really a POV character in this film.
2. As a comedic sidekick she's a complete and utter failure and generally not funny. It's only when she's not cutting jokes I find her tolerable.

Well she's an archer now, so maybe she can be the next Hawkeye or Ronin. [/spoiler[

I thought she was good as the friend/sidekick and suitably muted and not over the top as she might have been. I wasn’t sure how she would turn out but in the end I was happy.

Put me down as another person who liked Darcy just fine ( moreso than Foster, ahem ), and was fine with Katy here. Awkwafina had good chemistry with Liu.

( Also, my wife proposed as "sidekicks" movie with Darcy, Luis, and Katy, and I can't say I would turn such down. . . )

I don’t see her as a side kick. I thought they showed a good job that they are life long friends. Only thing I wish they snuck in was a line or two that she called her family to let them know she was ok after they went to Macau

Put me down as another person who liked Darcy just fine ( moreso than Foster, ahem ), and was fine with Katy here. Awkwafina had good chemistry with Liu.

( Also, my wife proposed as "sidekicks" movie with Darcy, Luis, and Katy, and I can't say I would turn such down. . . )
Ha, a sidekicks projects sounds good. :up:

She wasn’t as bad as I thought she would be. She was funny when she needed to be and serious when the scene called for it. I’m glad she wasn’t so over the top like her character in Crazy Rich Asians.

Throwing in my support for Awkwafina. I loved her, and I think my showing in SF absolutely adored her. She is basically Shang-Chi's Sam. Useful and resourceful when they needed her, and willing to fight with him and Ta-Lo.

Interesting. I actually always liked Darcy. I thought the way TDW inserted her itself was forced but I loved Kat Dennings' performance.

I guess me being ok with Nora Lum in Shang Chi would be an unreliable barometer lol.
At least, when they brought Darcy back, they got rid of her insufferable boyfriend, I HATED THAT GUY! If subsequent MCU films are any indication, it was as if he never existed at all.

I could easily see that as a future installment of Marvel One Shots.
You never Know.

Thought she was going to be annoying at first but she was really good. Loved the Hotel California gag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"