Azzarello and Cliff Chiang's New 52 Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman World' started by Mad Love, Oct 29, 2014.

?

How do you feel about Azzarello's Run?

1. Loved it!

2. It was good.

3. It was OK.

4. I don't care for it.

5. Glad it's over!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mad Love The Future of Justice

What are your thoughts on Azzarello's run now that's it's over?

2. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Overall I enjoyed it. The art was A+.

I just didn't like how Azz had to make up completely new characters outside of the gods/Hippolyta and I am not a fan of the Amazons culture still being so basic. There was really nothing beautiful about Paradise Island.

3. Mad Love The Future of Justice

I think adding characters only strengthened her mythos. Superman and Batman get new characters all the time. Their worlds are constantly expanding, so it's only right that WW's world keeps up. Her supporting cast has layers than mirror herself: The Olympians, the Amazons, and her cast in the outside world. That's on the same level as Superman having a Kryptonian cast, Smallville cast, and Metropolis cast.

When I hear disagreements with changes done to the Amazons, there's a preconception that doesn't sit right. Why judge a country in terms of being beautiful? Seems kind of sexist. And what definition of beauty is being imposed? The Amazons in the run were complex. I don't understand how you saw them as basic.

4. Bullseye1 Registered

Just finished reading the last book. Overall I loved both the story telling and artwork. They will be sadly missed but I am excited for the new team.

5. SlamAdams Registered

Consistently the best new 52 book IMO

6. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Yeah Superman/Batman get new characters all the time but they also have their old characters that appear plenty. Aleka might as well have been Artemis. 32 issues and not one former WW character who wasn't a god showed up.

There is nothing sexist about not liking the more barbarian side of the Amazons/Paradise Island. And I am not talking about the personality of the Amazons as being basic, I'm talking them still being stuck in the past and not really making any advancements.

7. Cain Gentlebane

Loved it. It remained self contained and untainted by crossovers and events which kept the momentum flowing with no disruption.

It was also very bold with the way it unapologetically modernized a lot of it's concepts (making Diana the God of War, it's take on the Greek Gods & the Amazons, Diana's new origin etc.) but still easily felt very much like Wonder Woman. Even more so than the Diana you saw in other DC books like JL and Superman/Wonder Woman. So in that sense it conceptually lived up to the promise of what the New 52 was supposed to offer.

Cliff Chiang's art was also a revelation. Very easy on the eyes and flexible in terms of tone and scope but also highly cinematic. This was definitely one of my favorite all time Wonder Woman runs and I really do think Mr. & Mrs. Finch have their work cut out for them following it up. Best of luck to them on that.