Babies and Ear Piercings: What's your opinion?

Ya well some tribes put golden rings around the female's necks to make the neck grow larger since they were babies for vanity as well.

I'm sure if that was going on in the states you people would have different opinions.

Mmmm....yeah, not really. That is a part of their culture and tradition and it's existed for hundreds of years. Would I have it done to my daughter? No. But it doesn't mean that I can't accept that is their practice and a part of their culture. Just because you wouldn't do it personally to your kids doesn't make it an invalid or wrong practice. But thanks for making assumptions about me.

jag

Mmmm....yeah, not really. That is a part of their culture and tradition and it's existed for hundreds of years. Would I have it done to my daughter? No. But it doesn't mean that I can't accept that is their practice and a part of their culture. Just because you wouldn't do it personally to your kids doesn't make it an invalid or wrong practice. But thanks for making assumptions about me.

jag

:whatever: yea no problem Jag :up:

BTW as I stated before, theres a difference between tradition and doing it just for the hell of doing it. I'm not blasting tradition.

We're talking about putting holes in the babie's skin for jewlery, not medical procedures to fix something that happend during the child development process.

They're both altering a child's born appearance for societal aesthetic reasons.

:whatever: yea no problem Jag :up:

BTW as I stated before, theres a difference between tradition and doing it just for the hell of doing it. I'm not blasting tradition.

Why is 'tradition' the only way these things are valid? Some places, its 'tradition' to cut off a young girl's clitoris and sew her vagina shut. Tradition is not always automatically moral.

They're both altering a child's born appearance for societal aesthetic reasons.

So are you saying if a baby was born with half its face not connected and it being fixed, its comparible to body jewlery embedded in the baby's skin? :huh:

Logan's Runt said:
Why is 'tradition' the only way these things are valid? Some places, its 'tradition' to cut off a young girl's clitoris and sew her vagina shut. Tradition is not always automatically moral.

Well theres a fine line between something that has been going on for generations in a family for personal beliefs and doing it at Hot Topic for a 2 for 1 piercing special.

So are you saying if a baby was born with half its face not connected and it being fixed, its comparible to body jewlery embedded in the baby's skin? :huh:

Well theres a fine line between something that has been going on for generations in a family for personal beliefs and doing it at Hot Topic for a 2 for 1 piercing special.

I'm saying that parents make decisions for their children for a variety of reasons. To make them have an easier time in society as in reconstructive surgery, or to make them 'pretty' as children are just different points on one continuum. You seem to think you have the end all knowledge of just where on that continuum it goes from being 'right' to 'wrong' and that's pretentious and offensive.

And doing something for 'tradition' actually takes the child's feelings less into account than a parent unhindered by familial/societal pressures deciding to do it.

I'm saying that parents make decisions for their children for a variety of reasons. To make them have an easier time in society as in reconstructive surgery, or to make them 'pretty' as children are just different points on one continuum. You seem to think you have the end all knowledge of just where on that continuum it goes from being 'right' to 'wrong' and that's pretentious and offensive.

No I dont, I'm just stating my personal beliefs on the subject. If you or your friends have babys that have piercings then I apologize if I offended you but thats just my belief that the child should make its own decision if it wants body jewlery perminately attaced to itself. The subject of this thread has entitled me to state my opinion.

Nobody can debate around here without it turning into personal attacks or arguments. Everybody wants to be right and turn the other person's views to match they're own..and they get frustrated when it doesnt happen, which results in a lot of flaming on these boards. The Internet. :up:

No I dont, I'm just stating my personal beliefs on the subject.

Nobody can debate around here without it turning into personal attacks or arguments. Everybody wants to be right and turn the other person's views to match they're own..and they get frustrated when it doesnt happen, which results in a lot of flaming on these boards. The Internet. :up:

I don't see how what I said was 'flaming' or 'personal attacks.' :huh: I have just as much a right to hold the opinion that your opinion is pretentious and offensive, and express it, as you do to hold it.

That's the nature of having a discussion.

I don't see how what I said was 'flaming' or 'personal attacks.' :huh: I have just as much a right to hold the opinion that your opinion is pretentious and offensive, and express it, as you do to hold it.

That's the nature of having a discussion.

No I just think its funny how quickly people get catagorized when debates turn into disagreements around here. Nobody can be nice and have a conversation without it resorting to some kind of resentment towards the other.

No I dont, I'm just stating my personal beliefs on the subject. If you or your friends have babys that have piercings then I apologize if I offended you but thats just my belief that the child should make its own decision if it wants body jewlery perminately attaced to itself. The subject of this thread has entitled me to state my opinion.

(Its hard to respond to you appropriately when you keep editing.)

I don't know why you think I'm offended. :huh: I'm simply responding to your statements with ones of my own. There's no need to rant about mean people on the internets, everything is fine. This didn't even come close to getting heated. If you want to stop discussing, that's fine, just stop. :huh:

No I just think its funny how quickly people get catagorized when debates turn into disagreements around here.

I'm not flaming you. I'm simply trying to understand your position that tradition or custom suddenly validates a practice you personally disagree with, making it more acceptable for them to do it than for people who don't do these things out of tradition or custom. I'm not understanding this distinction you are trying to make and would simply like for you to articulate it in a clearer fashion.

jag

I don't know why you think I'm offended.

Logan's Runt said:
You seem to think you have the end all knowledge of just where on that continuum it goes from being 'right' to 'wrong' and that's pretentious and offensive.

You werent offended, just saying that the statement I made was offensive?

You werent offended, just saying that the statement I made was offensive?

Something being 'offensive' and being personally offended by it are two different things. :huh:

I can smell an offensive odor and not take it personally. And I was talking about the opinion that you seem to hold by the way you are expressing yourself, not any particular statement that you made.

I'm not flaming you. I'm simply trying to understand your position that tradition or custom suddenly validates a practice you personally disagree with, making it more acceptable for them to do it than for people who don't do these things out of tradition or custom. I'm not understanding this distinction you are trying to make and would simply like for you to articulate it in a clearer fashion.

jag

Mike_D202 said:

^^^ thats where I stand in a nutshell on the issue.

Logan's Runt said:
Something being 'offensive' and being personally offended by it are two different things.

Sensitive Sally :down:

^^^ thats where I stand in a nutshell on the issue.

Ahhh, but WHY is there is a fine line? What defines that fine line for you and why does it exist in your eyes? That's what you're not explaining.

jag

:huh: I'm not the one getting all ******** over being disagreed with.

LOL i'm sorry I didnt expect to have to try and defend my view on the subject 6 or 7 times with 6 or 7 different ways to explain it.

I'll get back to your answer later Jag I have to move all my stuff into the new apartment.

No worries. Just curious about how/why you make the distinction, since I really don't personally. Good luck with the move and enjoy the new place. :up:

jag

It's just earrings, y'all. Now, if you wanna put a hoop through a baby's nose or pierce its eyebrows, now that, I have a problem with.

I'm going with the Mike Tyson facial tat. Ain't nobody gon' mess with my boy on the playground.

It's just earrings, y'all. Now, if you wanna put a hoop through a baby's nose or pierce its eyebrows, now that, I have a problem with.

I believe it's the Tibetans that traditionally put a small stud in the nose of all their females at a very young age.

jag

I believe it's the Tibetans that traditionally put a small stud in the nose of all their females at a very young age.

jag

Eh, to each his own, I guess. But I was referring to like one of those bull rings through the middle. That'd be jacked up.

Eh, to each his own, I guess. But I was referring to like one of those bull rings through the middle. That'd be jacked up.

Hmmm...actually, install one of those puppies and then put a lead chain on there and you've got complete control of your child. Hmmm....

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"