Barbie: The Movie

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
Amy Schumer Playing ‘Barbie’
EXCLUSIVE: Amy Schumer will play the title role in Barbie, the live action Sony Pictures film based on the venerable Mattel toyline. The PG movie will begin production in the spring for a global summer 2018 tent pole bow, after Schumer puts her imprint on the script by Hillary Winston. Given her edgy stand up comedy and her movie breakthrough writing and starring in the R-rated Trainwreck, what makes Schumer the right actress to play the embodiment of a beloved toyline that for years featured a doll with impossibly perfect physical proportions? Aside from the fact that she has Barbie hair, Schumer’s growing stature as a role model for female empowerment fits perfectly with how the film will exploit Barbie’s evolution into dolls of different sizes and shapes.

Schumer will play a character who lives in Barbieland, among all of the various Barbie characters beloved by collectors. In a fish out of water story reminiscent of films like Splash and Big, she gets kicked out, basically because she’s not perfect enough and is a bit eccentric. She then goes on an adventure in the real world and by the time she returns to Barbieland to save it, she has gained the realization that perfection comes on the inside, not the outside, and that the key to happiness is belief in one self, free of trying to adhere to some unattainable standard of perfection. Mattel, with a lot at stake since the toyline has generated $3 billion in sales, signed off on the take.

While Sony, and the film’s producers — Walter Parkes & Lori MacDonald (who won the rights from the toymaker in 2014), and Amy Pascal (who bought the project as Sony Pictures chairman before joining as producer) worked on numerous drafts by top female writers for several years, this one came together like a bolt from the blue after Winston and the producers cracked the code with a funny empowerment take that sparked the interest of Schumer and made her want to fit into her crowded movie schedule. Sony chief Tom Rothman brought the script to Schumer personally, and pitched the take to her. After she read Winston’s script, Schumer emailed that she was in. A deal is now being finalized.

The studio will now lock in a director, and the intention is that the filmmaker be a woman. Word around Hollywood is there is a short list of directors including Me Before You helmer Thea Sharrock (who is apparently unavailable for the slot), but its a big job and the studio expects to fill it shortly

Schumer, who wrapped an untitled Jonathan Levine-directed comedy for Fox and the Jason Hall-directed DreamWorks drama Thank You For Your Service, also co-wrote with Jennifer Lawrence a script they will star in together, is repped by UTA and Maverick Management’s Guy Oseary and Carrie Byalick at B, and attorney Isaac Dunham.

Mmm, I don't find Amy Schumer all that funny to be honest.

If this is supposed to be satirical though, I'm a little bit interested.

Schumer as Barbie? Huh.

Not my first choice, but I'll give her a chance.

^ I won't.

Question of the day: why is this rapist Sony's choice to play Barbie? She's not funny, she has no talent and she's not even attractive. So why is she involved?

Lol Hulk-1700 everybody

Funny SJ did a movie fights question about a Barbie movie in an episode I was rewatching.

Sure cast Schumer. I don't think it's a good choice. I don't care. I don't care about this movie. I'm not anywhere near the target audience

Haha, what?

Basically they're pulling a Starsky and Hutch/every adaptation Will Ferrell has ever starred in here.

Last edited:
Lol Hulk-1700 everybody

Funny SJ did a movie fights question about a Barbie movie in an episode I was rewatching.

Sure cast Schumer. I don't think it's a good choice. I don't care. I don't care about this movie. I'm not anywhere near the target audience

Haha hey, it's true. She admitted it out of her own mouth.

But yeah, you're right there. I don't care either since, like you, I'm not the target audience. I'm just confused as to why she was chosen out of all the potential candidates.

Is this like an Alice in Wonderland type continuation where it's years later and Barbie has fallen off the wagon?

LOOOOOOOL

Rothman doesn't care anymore. He wants Sony to burn until nothing is left

:woo:

I wonder if she'll publicly complain after the film that Sony demanded she lose 30 lbs for the role.

^ I won't.

Question of the day: why is this rapist Sony's choice to play Barbie? She's not funny, she has no talent and she's not even attractive. So why is she involved?
She's a rapist?

160.gif

Clearly Barbie should have been played by Megan Fox.

I never understood the hype around Amy Schumer. I know Hollywood keeps telling me I should find her funny, but I never really could. If anything, I expect this to be another Ghostbusters 2016 situation.

I think Shumer's only popular because of her goofy last name, TBH. It shounds like Shoe.

She's not a rapist. Are you a crazy red piller, Hulk?

Maybe he's thinking of Lena Dunham.

She's not a rapist. Are you a crazy red piller, Hulk?

Oh God, the age of the internet and people still don't know how to use it.

If you do some searching (which you obviously didn't) you'll find that Amy Schumer told a story once whereupon she describes a situation involving her and a guy she always liked who, as far as I know, didn't share that same attraction. She happened to be around him while he was drunk to the point he couldn't do anything but pass out. And she admitted she had sex with him while he was passed out.

What do you call that? He was drunk, didn't consent and she had sex with him anyway.

If you don't call that rape, your elevator clearly isn't reaching the top floor. Then again, that's probably the case anyway. :cwink:

We all know I'm not gonna read that, bruh.

Cool, have a nice time subscribing to your misogynist rhetoric, bruh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"