Bat Fight/STUNT CHOREOGRAPHY THREAD

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score
So. How would you guys like the fight scenes in The Batman to look like? Who would you like as the fight choregrapher?

I honestly would not mind Reeves hiring Guillermo Grispo and Damon Caro from BvS again.
Say what you say about that movie, but that warehouse fight was awesome. It had its things like Batman killing, but with Matt Reeves direction that can easily be solved.

I'd also like Philip J. Silvera, who worked on the iconic hallway fight scenes from the first two seasons of Daredevil:

Or David Conk/Eric Linden, who worked in Punisher Season 2.

Last edited:
No-one whose done superhero stuff before. Maybe the guys who did Warrior or The Raid?

No-one whose done superhero stuff before. Maybe the guys who did Warrior or The Raid?

Yeah thats my thing too...i want see new people that give the fights a complete unique style.
But i think its incredible hard to get the fighting right, especially in batman.
Yeah you could look at the arkham games for example but its hard.

I would give the BvS guys a chance because the warehouse fight is awesome...with more direction and all i think they could nail it.

But overall i would be for new blood on this.

I know pretty much every superhero fan wants this, but get the teams behind The Raid or the John Wick films.

I think the problem is finding an actor willing to put that much training and effort into choreographies. The warehouse scene in BvS and highway scene in CA:WS are the best fighting scenes in all cbm. Every other one is over-lacking, stiff or plainly bad.

The Raid fight choreographer pretty much only choreographs films where he's one of the leading actors because he's the only one that can do those movements.

Now that I think about it, I'm actually a little surprised that we haven't seen a Batman fight scene utilizing some elements of Wing Chung and Jeet Kune Do. I'd love to see some trapping and parrying. Some throat shots. I think it should be quick, purposeful movements. Never stopping. Never even slowing down, really. As he's striking one person, he's blocking another. Or elbow striking someone behind when loading to punch the one in front of him.
If you're not familiar with some of the terms above, take a few minutes to watch this video.

Now that I think about it, I'm actually a little surprised that we haven't seen a Batman fight scene utilizing some elements of Wing Chung and Jeet Kune Do. I'd love to see some trapping and parrying. Some throat shots. I think it should be quick, purposeful movements. Never stopping. Never even slowing down, really. As he's striking one person, he's blocking another. Or elbow striking someone behind when loading to punch the one in front of him.
If you're not familiar with some of the terms above, take a few minutes to watch this video.

I agree with all these entirely.

1) Make the fights short. I don't want them last 5 minutes straight like in Daredevil or John Wick.
2) Use the fights to tell a story, not showcase choreography.
3) OMG, do something about guns. I won't survive another TDKR nonsense.

Batman needs to fight like someone who knows every weakness of the human body, something like Sherlock Holmes movies with Downey Jr (but without the crappy slow motion).

I would be very pleased with faster fights, more precise punches and kicks, like "I don't have time for this, will finish quickly".

So. How would you guys like the fight scenes in The Batman to look like? Who would you like as the fight choregrapher?

I honestly would not mind Reeves hiring Guillermo Grispo and Damon Caro from BvS again.
Say what you say about that movie, but that warehouse fight was awesome. It had its things like Batman killing, but with Matt Reeves direction that can easily be solved.

I'd also like Philip J. Silvera, who worked on the iconic hallway fight scenes from the first two seasons of Daredevil:

Or David Conk/Eric Linden, who worked in Punisher Season 2.

The Daredevil fight style for this would be amazing

Since Reeves seems to be going for a grounded, noir-type aesthetic, one thing I would really like Reeves to take from the Daredevil choreography is the hero's humanity. I don't want Snyder's Bat-God type fighting style. I want a Batman, who like the Netflix Daredevil, is clearly a very skilled martial artist, but also just a normal human being, who does get hit and overwhelmed sometimes and gets tired during extended fights with a large number of adversaries.

I hope this Batman is smarter than attacking head on crowds of enemies. Gadgets, sneaking... If this is a realistic take, then bandits are usually armed to the teeth with firearms. It's absolutely suicidal to engage them like Daredevil does (or unless batgod ala Snyder). Batman should use his toys as much as possible. Gas, disorient, disarm, scare, tie down (or immobilize any other way), blind and in the most extreme cases engage in brawls.

I'm really surprised how shy filmmakers are about gadgetry. It's like there's only two solutions - beating to a pulp or straight up killing....

If he trained on Jeet Kun Do, he should fight like Bruce Lee in this scene of Birth of a Dragon.

Sans the crotch punch.

I'm new to these boards, but Ive always wanted to see a batman that measures brutality with finess equally. One on one he should be a man of few hits, but they are brutal. Like short of coma and or killing brutal. But in a multiple attackers he won't be as successful and can take hits, but won't feel it until afterwards. He's supposed to be a master of all fighting styles, let him show it. He could be fighting multiple attackers the way he would one on one and start to lose, then switch up to Krav Maga to take out the armed attackers, then use jujitzu on the big and final attackers. Show he has the strength and fighting capability but is also just a man, with a crap load of knowledge. After the fight thats when you see him fall and be in pain. In some ways he could even escape if he's overpowered and outnumbered and use his gadgets and stealth. The one and possibly only thing I loved in the bvs warehouse fight is you saw him take on multiple people at once, not one while the other 5 wait for their turn.

Bobby Holland Hanton, Scott Kirkbride, Jean-Paul Ly , Cali Nelle , Chris Waite

So far these guys are the only stunt performers on the IMDb page. I'm sure more will be added at later date.

I want to see the long wide shots, brutality and realism of The Raid, sans killing.
I also think it would be cool to see Batman use a few specific martial arts/fighting styles. Obviously the choreography will use moves from a variety of disciplines, but usually there are a couple that are used as a base model in action movies (BJJ in John Wick, Keysi in Jack Reacher, etc) to maintain a tone. I'd love to see:
Krav Maga for the "street fighting" element like elbows, headbutts, dirty moves, plus the weapon disarms-
Dragon Style Kung Fu for the more traditional martial arts moves, as it uses the forearms, trapping, and zig-zagging footwork (for moving between bad guys in big fights)-
And Catch/shoot wrestling. BJJ is great but not for a guy in a cape taking on multiple guys at once. The last thing he wants to do is be rolling around on the ground with one guy while the other is just line up their shots/head kicks. Old-school European style submission wrestling would make more sense, he could use neck cranks and straight arms to break free of larger opponents, use standing slams to throw guys without bringing himself down to the ground, and arm locks to intimidate/interrogate bad guys.

Thoughts?

One thing I would like is to actually see the fighting from a wide angle, no choppy editing.
I would like Batman to be skilled but not indestructible. I would like to see him overcome some with certain skills or ability’s. it would be cool for him to be nervous taking on a team of 10 people but tactifully take them out with some struggles.

I wouldn’t mind some of the fights similar to Captain America and GSP’s fight.

there is always one thing I would love to see in live action it’s cheese but it’s just something I’d like, is seeing Batman leap from the car with the cape wide open

I want to see the long wide shots, brutality and realism of The Raid, sans killing.
I also think it would be cool to see Batman use a few specific martial arts/fighting styles. Obviously the choreography will use moves from a variety of disciplines, but usually there are a couple that are used as a base model in action movies (BJJ in John Wick, Keysi in Jack Reacher, etc) to maintain a tone. I'd love to see:
Krav Maga for the "street fighting" element like elbows, headbutts, dirty moves, plus the weapon disarms-
Dragon Style Kung Fu for the more traditional martial arts moves, as it uses the forearms, trapping, and zig-zagging footwork (for moving between bad guys in big fights)-
And Catch/shoot wrestling. BJJ is great but not for a guy in a cape taking on multiple guys at once. The last thing he wants to do is be rolling around on the ground with one guy while the other is just line up their shots/head kicks. Old-school European style submission wrestling would make more sense, he could use neck cranks and straight arms to break free of larger opponents, use standing slams to throw guys without bringing himself down to the ground, and arm locks to intimidate/interrogate bad guys.

Thoughts?
Agreed. I would also add boxing as something Batman should use often.

I definitely don't need to see Batman struggling in fights like Netflix Daredevil did, unless the opponent is much bigger and stronger than he is.

I hope this Batman is smarter than attacking head on crowds of enemies. Gadgets, sneaking... If this is a realistic take, then bandits are usually armed to the teeth with firearms. It's absolutely suicidal to engage them like Daredevil does (or unless batgod ala Snyder). Batman should use his toys as much as possible. Gas, disorient, disarm, scare, tie down (or immobilize any other way), blind and in the most extreme cases engage in brawls.

I'm really surprised how shy filmmakers are about gadgetry. It's like there's only two solutions - beating to a pulp or straight up killing....
I 70% agree with this. I want Batman to be able to take out a group of thugs hand to hand but if the group gets too big then we get to see all the toys come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"