Batgirl 'Batgirl' movie? - Part 1

I think the suit looks great. Pretty fantastic interpretation of Burnside's New 52 concept for her homemade suit.

I've seen the comparisons to cosplayers' more stylized, 1:1 look. But I think that would take away from how low tech and DIY the suit is meant to be. And to be fair, I understand why some have complaints about the material, as the early-Arrowverse and Fox-Men films ruined the idea of leather suits for people, but I think it very much works in this context.

Rumors say that
Old Man Bruce will give her another suit
, so I imagine anyone with complaints won't have them too long.

I'm excited to see more.

I didn't know they were going to start with the Burnside suit (I think she'll end up with the look from the Gail Simone run) but it looks great to me, an accurate adaption and makes sense as a Year One suit.

batgirl-prototype1.jpg

Batgirl_Vol_4_37_Textless_Darwyn_Cooke_Variant.jpg

I like this Spidey suit better because it's so simple that for the first time you believe Peter could make this himself. The Batgirl suit, however, looks too over-designed for a homemade costume but is cheap-looking at the same time.

That's because it's just a leather motorcycle jacket and pants she bought somewhere then stitched a bat symbol to.

I like this costume in the comics but it absolutely doesn't look good here, gives off CW vibes as some have said. Also, the Burnside costume would make sense when she starts out as a teenager but not when she's already a grown woman.

Would rather prefer sth like this:

CtjT2FOWgAAiGXW

What does age really have to do with it. She'll be a young adult just as she was when she wore the costume in the comics. She's doesn't have real money to make a suit like in that pic.

What does age really have to do with it. She'll be a young adult just as she was when she wore the costume in the comics. She's doesn't have real money to make a suit like in that pic.

Oh I know, but I always felt it would suit a teenage Barbara better. The Burnside costume feels a bit too cutesy for a grown up Barbara. If she starts being Batiglrl as an adult then sth like this would be a better proto suit:

M7zLOuT.jpg

What does that even mean? Over-designed, but cheap-looking? That's a paradox if I've ever heard one. If it was under-designed, then folks would say that Barbara clearly didn't put in enough effort for her first outing.

Just for the sake of discussion, the two are different thing. "Over-designed" refers as the pure aesthetic of the suit while "cheap-looking" refers to how the idea translates from the mind or paper to reality.
You can have a simple design being materialized into something cheap looking, like the Adam West batsuit (even if iconic), or into something polished, like Garfield's second Spider-man suit. On the opposite, you can totally have something over-designed ending very cheap looking, just like Gotham's batsuit.
Really, the two thing are independant from each others.

Last edited:
I like this Spidey suit better because it's so simple that for the first time you believe Peter could make this himself. The Batgirl suit, however, looks too over-designed for a homemade costume but is cheap-looking at the same time.

Context is key here. We know Peter knocked that costume up himself, we don't know for sure that's what Babs has done.

Personally, I think this is the main and only suit for the Batgirl movie. They have an aesthetic they want to target, and this is it. I don't think there will be much of a reasoning behind it's look.

You could rationalize the biker “leathers” look as homemade/improvised. But the cowl (which seems pretty good in the photo) kinda contradicts that. Also — never been a fan of the short cape. Long at least suggests some functionality (e.g., sci-fi “glider wings”); whereas short looks useless.

I'm disappointed it's so impractical. I guess I've been spoiled by what The Batman is showing us, but I always lean in the direction of these suits at least attempting to seem like they could function in the real world.

This... doesn't do that at all. No real signs of protection whatsoever. Pointless looking cape.

They're obviously going for a very heightened, comic book reality here, where practical stuff is left behind, which is a choice as much as any other... but it leaves me cold, to be honest. Feels much more BoP than Dark Knight or Reeves Batman (which makes sense, I suppose).

You know, people who say it looks like a CW suit...actually make me like it even more, because say what you will about The CW shows, but the first 2-3 seasons, the leather suits worked.

Hell even late into the show, Olivers Green Leather suit still managed to look fine.
Seeing as this is probably her origin or year 1 suit, this is fine.

And above all, i will wait for moving material, trailer footage etc.
Because the lightning and and angle has worked against many suits in the past.

Look at Afflecks, in the movies it works mostly due to the way Snyder shot him and all.
But when you look at BTS stuff etc, the suit itself looks like a bloated 3d printer project, the cowl makes Affleck look chubby and as if he has a short, fat neck.
Look at The Avengers captain america suit, in some angles and with the right light, the cowl looks good...but theres a good reason they had him without it for the most part.

Many comic book suits look rather goofy if you put too much light on them and from the wrong angle, i need to see this suit on film to be able to say if i like it or not.

And the burnside look seems to be especially hard to get, i say maybe 3-4 cosplayers who managed to pull it off, the rest tried it but looked kind of awkward with it.

The one thing negative i will say at the moment is that the way they shot it, was really bad.
It looks like an overall, like its one piece together.
I hope that is really just the angle.
Other than that, its fine for what i assume it is and for a photo where they have gone overboard with the light and choose the wrong angle.

Batgirl looks amazing, go read Batgirl Year One. She makes the suit herself! By the end she’ll get an upgraded suit from Keaton/Batman

I'm disappointed it's so impractical. I guess I've been spoiled by what The Batman is showing us, but I always lean in the direction of these suits at least attempting to seem like they could function in the real world.

This... doesn't do that at all. No real signs of protection whatsoever. Pointless looking cape.

They're obviously going for a very heightened, comic book reality here, where practical stuff is left behind, which is a choice as much as any other... but it leaves me cold, to be honest. Feels much more BoP than Dark Knight or Reeves Batman (which makes sense, I suppose).

Thats the whole point of the costume lol. It's handmade, it's her going out alone not properly prepared.

I love the suit. Can’t wait to see Batman and Robin’s suits too

The Year One costume looks better than this.
But by how much? I don't really get the backlash. Were people really expecting an exact translation? Compared to the old days, this would have been considered super spot on back then. I don't really understand why we have to pick on the material of the outfit now.

The suit is accurate but executed badly, that's the crux of the problem. Everyone knows it's not a final suit, but the fact they led with those images for marketing is comical.

Had they put a bit more thought into the presentation there would be no problem. A closer take, different background to compliment the suit, pose, context.... any kind of care would have made it look better. The general cheapness of the image is where I think the CW comparisons are coming from.

Thats the whole point of the costume lol. It's handmade, it's her going out alone not properly prepared.

Well, yes. But going out in that suit in any narrative that leaned in on the realism aspect would mean she'd be dead in minutes. That suit obviously suggests a story that won't be going in that direction. Which is fine for other folks, but it disappoints me, as I'd like to have seen a more 'realistic' tone for Barbara's first outing, rather than the campier kind of thing they seem to be going with... if that suit's anything to judge it by.

He’s right and he should say it.
Yeah we get that, but marketing is everything. I dunno who saw that image and said YES! This is what we should release as the first look. They only have themselves to blame for the poor reaction and I imagine that's why the director is getting defensive, because he knows.

She looks great in the suit.

Still wish WB would upgrade this to a theatrical release, a la Blue Beetle.

I thought Blue Beetle is HBO Max too or is it now theatrical?

Edit: just saw the news in the Blue Beetle thread. Interesting development

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"