'Batgirl' movie? - Part 1

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Feb 26, 2018.

1. fan4stic Registered

I don't like the purple look.
    They're not right, all by themself.
    But I don't like the design. I don't like this look.

super85 likes this.
  2. Phoenix_Flare Registered

you’re entitled to your opinion/feelings HOWEVER the fandom needs to stop bashing these movies. We say we want more comic accuracy in costumes and then when we get it we complain. I know Batgirl has other looks but this particular film is taking inspiration from year one. Not to mention it looks like Batman Forever and Robin is not canon so we can bet forever those horrible movies! Lol All I’m saying is just give this movie a chance. Many of us believe she will get another costume and if she does I want to be surprised. I can’t have everything spoiled.

Babillygunn likes this.
  3. fan4stic Registered

I didn't say anything about the quality of the Batgirl movie. I brought up the costume. I don't like it. I don't care if it's comic accurate, it's not the look I want.

I don't think Forever or B&R are horrible movies, like that.

She can get another costume. It won't mean I'll like the image of the one they showed there.

4. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Not directed at you …
    I think the CW comparison is a bit unfair.

A lot of the CW look was turning a comic design into something fitting their production budget. So early Flash is a more baggy costume with very little look of the comic.

This is literally taking the design/ function of the comic description and making it literal.

5. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I absolutely love the suit. I love the character and I love the story that this is basing itself on. So I am extremely satisfied and excited for this movie. It’s probably my most highly anticipated DC property in the pipeline right now.

And this is me watching people lose their minds over this suit:

upload_2022-1-17_10-56-23.gif

People are so easily riled up.

Frodo, Boy Scout and Mani-Man like this.
  6. TheGDBatman Registered

I don't agree with this take at all.

Firstly, he posted a funny/lighthearted meme in response to the criticism that's been levied (unfairly) at the suit. Fans hilariously want comic accuracy. In this case, they get it, it's just not the exact comic they wanted it to be ripped from :funny:

Secondly, why should they keep quiet? Why should they let people rag on something that they're proud of/working on that hasn't even been released yet? It's not like they did it maliciously. No one is going to see that meme and be like "oh the director is mean! I'M NOT SEEING THIS!!".

7. Pennywise Registered

8. J.Drangal Registered

In universe, it doesn't really work to have a so accurate painting of Bat-Keat on a wall...
    I find it even worse that I can recognize the original photo. It reminds me how, in Rises, Bale's Bruce had a framed TDK promotional photo of Rachel as a memento. :funny:

9. super85 Registered

Thing is , I for one sometimes skip watching films for reasons like that. I still am not sold on this movie at all, and I am a fan of the character, and stuff like that does not really help. This goes to
    the same category as most modern movies, Ill have to read reviews and talk with friends who have
    seen it before I watch it.

10. TheGDBatman Registered

So fans can criticize without consequence, but a director can't push back on that criticism in any form?

11. Filmfreak Registered

People always criticise, it's what they do. Especially fans. Director's job is to shut mouths through his work, not literally telling them to, via instagram stories. And unlike random people it's also his job to take criticism, because he's a public figure and puts his project out there for people to see. Some of them will inevitably not like it. He should learn how to deal with it sooner rather than later.

I mean, on one hand you have directors say they don't care about critics bashing their movies, since they're only doing them for the fans and on the other hand you have fans criticising a mere aspect of a film and a director tells them to shut it because he can't take negative comments. It's his image he's hurting by reacting immaturely.

metaphysician and Mani-Man like this.
  12. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Pretty much.
    Its unfair but it is what it is.
    To me it looks like there is a lack of faith in the project when you have to lash out at criticism.

The best way is to shut up people by proving them wrong and not by biting back.
    The best way is to trust your Vision, that this will change peoples mind and shut them up.

Reeves is the best example for it.
    Look at how much criticism he and Pattinson face at the beginning, now its THE most anticipated Movie of the year.
    All done by trusting the vision and what they create, instead of lashing out.

13. super85 Registered

I am not stopping him, I just dont like that type of behaviour. I am not a fan of any fans "attacking" a filmaker either. I think its a privelege for these people to work on these characters, at times they even understand that they have screwed something up. Like those early Sonic designs that were completely changed.

Comics are a visual medium, and its perfectly fine to point out if you think something looks ugly or cheap. I prefer several of the other Batgirl outfits from the comics history. Hopefully the possible second one looks better.

I think most of these mainstream films are pretty much quick fast food. There is many options to choose from, and it just always feels of putting when its aimed that fans got it wrong etc.

I think the suit looks kind of cheap and ugly. And since I am wating to see what WBs actual plans are for many of these characters, I am not in a hurry to watch this , whenever this comes out.

14. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

Bat Keaton was famous for posing for amateur artists in his latter years. This is now canon. 50 bucks per hour, every Tuesday morning at the Robinson Park art studio and cafe - ask about our Joker latte art!

J.Drangal likes this.
  15. Frodo Registered

As an OG CBM from the 80s ,i'm over the moon.
    Between Spiderman No Way Home, The Batman, Multiverse of Madness, Superman and Lois, The Flash, and Keaton's Batman having a Robin, I've really got nothing to complain about.

[​IMG]

16. fan4stic Registered

You don't decide that the criticism is unfair and neither do they.

I don't like this comic costume, so I didn't want this comic accuracy, like this.

Because they're adults.

17. DocLathropBrown If adventure has a name...

I'm sorry, but the idea that fans get to be as rude as possible to filmmakers, but filmmakers have to just shut up and take it?

No. If you feel this way, you're wrong. I don't care who they are--if you're being an ass to them unprovoked, they have every right to put you in your place.

I'm sure that they wouldn't have said a damn thing if people's complaints were "I was wishing they'd do xx suit instead" or something mild... but saying "it looks like cosplay" ****s on the entire production, and that's the very intention behind those words.

18. Filmfreak Registered

It's not even so much that he defended his project, it's mostly how he chose to do it. He could have said that he gets how passionate fans can get and understands their concerns, but if they wait for the movie they won't be disappointed, or anything along those lines. Instead, he pretty much tells everyone who doesn't have nice things to say, to shut up. Even if he's referring to haters he makes it look like he's hostile to everyone who didn't like the costume.

And what does his comment even mean? Is it the first outfit and she gets an upgrade after that? Is the same one going to look better in the film itself? Or is he taking negative criticism of a photo as a direct attack to the project as a whole? He doesn't even take the opportunity to clear anything other than pretty much attacking the "nay-sayers".

Even if one feels he's right about something, expression of his feelings on a matter is everything. Not unlike you, where you give your thoughts about this, like you should, but then have to say that whoever doesn't share your sentiments on this is just plain wrong, like somehow this is anything more than an opinion.

19. emc5466 Registered

THR editor Kim Masters says the new David Zaslav regime may try to convince Kevin Feige to leave Marvel and Disney and come join their new executive team at WB. Didn’t know where else to put this but such a move will obviously have huge ramifications for both studios.

20. DocLathropBrown If adventure has a name...

So let me ask you this--if an artist was painting a wall mural, not bothering anybody, and a random person walked by and said "that looks like garbage," does that artist have to just shut up and take it? Because that's what happened here. The directors didn't post the image and start a fire by declaring "all other superhero costumes are crap compared to my masterpiece!" They didn't do anything that deserved such harsh, insulting words directed toward the hard work of their team.

The reason I'm not saying "in my opinion" is because I'm not talking about something that should be considered up for negotiation. It shouldn't be anyone's opinion that they get to just insult people or their work unprovoked and be allowed to get away with it. If you can't see my point, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Just because someone's a celebrity doesn't mean they deserve to be insulted. Critiquing or giving a respectful opinion is one thing. Calling the hard work of a production "cosplay" (intended as a negative assessment, mind you) is totally rude. Nobody has the right to be that way.

People are really ungrateful, entitled jerks these days. There once was a time when all we got was black leather on the X-Men and we had to like it.

21. Filmfreak Registered

And yet no one just walked by his creation randomly, so the analogy makes no sense. They literally put it themselves out for people to see and then acted like they only wanted positive comments. That's not how it works. Negative input is always going to be part of people's reaction over some other people's work. And deeming every comment that doesn't accent your work, to be hateful, shows both arrogance and adolescent behaviour. And again, it's not like it was attacks against cast or crew members. It wasn't even a generalisation that the movie is going to suck as a whole. It was just a part of fandom that found a costume in a specific photo looking cheap. But let's be overdramatic about it.

22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Lol, Feige aint gonna leave Marvel. WB wouldn't be willing to give the kind of creative control and money that would be necessary to even entice Feige to jump ship.

Boy Scout and TheGDBatman like this.
  23. emc5466 Registered

I dont see it happening either but you never know. WB will be under new management soon and he may want a new challenge.

24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

That would definitely be a challenge lol.

25. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Willem Dafoe needs to be the DCEU Joker. If we’re getting old man Batman, I want old man Joker. There is NO ONE better for older Joker than Willem aside from Jack (but he’s retired).

With this new DCEU, I’m open to a number of Batman actors returning. It seems we’re getting a DCEU where Keaton has always been Batman and Simmons has always been Gordon. This allows for certain cast members to return, while others can be recast. It’s a new timeline, with room for some big reprisals. We could have older Batman villains in the DCEU, while The Batman skews younger.

I’d love to see something like this:

EF52FB4D-D17E-49B2-8781-11996851FA4B.jpeg

CBBB24C3-4B4C-4FF3-9BBE-9B4C458F1942.jpeg

2FD03637-7740-4255-849F-1C908B38F3F6.jpeg

94AE5101-30A6-4A42-A5A5-76BEE7BCE980.jpeg

239E3E8C-56AC-4CB9-978B-49384C6112F7.jpeg

Frodo likes this.