Batgirl 'Batgirl' movie? - Part 1

It was compared to a TV-pilot in its feel. I am sure the sets looked nice, but the general feel was what it was.

I feel somewhat bad for the people involved in the film, but in general I think its a good thing that they start scrapping many of these projects. I want these things to be events, not cold fast food.

But it was made for HBO MAX? Like it was never intended to be a big blockbuster event extravaganza. It was meant to be a fun little adventure movie with an old school charm. What’s wrong with that? I’m personally tired of big event movies lol I want something smaller scale again so desperately and I was really looking forward to this movie delivering that

It was compared to a TV-pilot in its feel. I am sure the sets looked nice, but the general feel was what it was.

I feel somewhat bad for the people involved in the film, but in general I think its a good thing that they start scrapping many of these projects. I want these things to be events, not cold fast food.
Man, fandom entitlement really has become unbearable over the years, huh? Heaven forbid some people want to stand by filmmakers who've been wronged by a studio and are looking for variety in their superhero movies. :dry:

maybe Zaslav doesn't want Keaton to be DCEU Batman.

Main Universe? Im with him on that if thats it.
As much as i love keatons batman, i dont want this to be any kind of main universe batman.
Let it be an elseworld batman.

Pattinson is our sexy elseworlds Batman that is dark, grimy, and introspective (aka solo universe).

Keaton was perfect to overwrite the Affleck (aka tired and wired super Batman) of it all.

I grew up in the Spielberg-era when the summer revolves around the big blockbusters opening up. So I get the idea behind wanting “events.” But here’s the thing: if you go back and watch the big blockbusters, a lot of them kind of suck. There’s just so much noise and bright lights that you get distracted by how sub par the films were.

Id much prefer to have some films be blockbuster events while also allowing filmmakers the flexibility to take some risks and pursue their visions in more intimate small-screen venues.

A good example for me would be Superman and Lois. It’s clearly on a tv budget with tv effects and costumes. But truth be told, it probably is the best depiction of Superman ever put to film (even rivaling Reeve) and is definitely the best Lois Lane. I’d take that everyday and twice on the weekends over the “event” version of the character put forth in the big budget Man of Steel.

WB has had two movies that grossed a billion in the last decade, and based on the global political climate it looks like they will have to do it without Russia and China. It is too high of a bar to reach on a regular basis.

Yeah, I think a lot of people assume that a billion must be easy. Unfortunately, just because Disney can repeatedly pull out billion dollar success in a semi-reliable manner, doesn't mean *you* can. For all their faults, Disney is the best in the business, while WB has been increasingly dysfunctional for the past 10+ years.

Yeah. I don’t see how quality lower budget films is a riskier business model then only throwing tons of money at tentpole blockbusters with the knowledge that if one fails, the studio could be in serious hot water. Essentially it is going all in; every time.

View attachment 57878

In *theory*, there could be an issue of "We need to make up X billion dollars of losses by Y year, and no realistic number of successful low budget movies could hope to meet that goal, we *have* to gamble on blockbusters". Of course, if this is true, what this really means is "WB is ****ed", and probably was victim of mismanagement verging on malpractice for years.

In practice, I suspect its. . . well, a lot of things, but at least partially a fallacy I see pop up in video game marketing a lot: "Of course *I* will be the one to win." Basically, companies set market goals in market segments where it is *impossible* for everyone competing to win ( because there aren't enough consumer dollars for more than one product to hit its claimed sales goals ), and then assume as part of their plans that they will be the one to win. Which, fine, nobody plans to lose. . . but if four companies all make this same plan than by definition three of them will be wrong.

Yeah, I think a lot of people assume that a billion must be easy. Unfortunately, just because Disney can repeatedly pull out billion dollar success in a semi-reliable manner, doesn't mean *you* can. For all their faults, Disney is the best in the business, while WB has been increasingly dysfunctional for the past 10+ years.

Even for Disney it is getting harder. Five years ago Love and Thunder might have gotten there and Multiverse of Madness certainly would have.

True. CBMs are starting to see a decline and I don’t know that we can lay all of the blame on COVID. I think the beginnings of fatigue may be starting to show. Jumping in now is buying high and selling low. Not a good business model.

True. CBMs are starting to see a decline and I don’t know that we can lay all of the blame on COVID. I think the beginnings of fatigue may be starting to show. Jumping in now is buying high and selling low. Not a good business model.

I think it is mostly the loss of China and Russia. Take away those markets and a film like Ragnarok was doing in the same ballpark. The last year has made appealing to the west far more important (Top Gun being Exhibit A) than it has been for a long time.

Keaton was perfect to overwrite the Affleck (aka tired and wired super Batman) of it all.

Love the fact they made the mistake in the first place of trying to start a cinematic shared universe with a Batman that was too old, and now they are replacing him with an even older one.

Love the fact they made the mistake in the first place of trying to start a cinematic shared universe. with a Batman that was too old, and now they are replacing him with a an even older better one.

There. Fixed it for you.

But it was made for HBO MAX? Like it was never intended to be a big blockbuster event extravaganza. It was meant to be a fun little adventure movie with an old school charm. What’s wrong with that? I’m personally tired of big event movies lol I want something smaller scale again so desperately and I was really looking forward to this movie delivering that

I get it, you wanted something different. I personally thought it was dumb to make it for HBO Max. i think anything Batman /Batman universe (live action) related should be a theatrical event. I am bummed out that we lose the J.K Simmons Gordon part, since I really like him, and really disliked the version in "The Batman".

View attachment 57926

Wow. I genuinely thought that Jeffrey Wright nailing Gordon was one of the things that everyone universally agreed upon. What was your objection?

I loved his reserved quiet take... especially since he shouldn't repeat the 90's thru NML Gordon that Oldman embodied perfectly.

Bale/Oldman felt like a wonderful partnership that had a slight hierarchy of father-son dynamic.

While Pattinson/Wright have more of an alliance-friendship that's more on an equal footing of brother's in "the war on crime".

I grew up in the Spielberg-era when the summer revolves around the big blockbusters opening up. So I get the idea behind wanting “events.” But here’s the thing: if you go back and watch the big blockbusters, a lot of them kind of suck. There’s just so much noise and bright lights that you get distracted by how sub par the films were.

Id much prefer to have some films be blockbuster events while also allowing filmmakers the flexibility to take some risks and pursue their visions in more intimate small-screen venues.

A good example for me would be Superman and Lois. It’s clearly on a tv budget with tv effects and costumes. But truth be told, it probably is the best depiction of Superman ever put to film (even rivaling Reeve) and is definitely the best Lois Lane. I’d take that everyday and twice on the weekends over the “event” version of the character put forth in the big budget Man of Steel.
I don't see any reason not to have both, especially as some characters suit a smaller scale. Don't see what's wrong with big budget shows and animation either. The Zaslav era seems like it will be much narrower in scope with less variety in general.

I loved his reserved quiet take... especially since he shouldn't repeat the 90's thru NML Gordon that Oldman embodied perfectly.

Bale/Oldman felt like a wonderful partnership that had a slight hierarchy of father-son dynamic.

While Pattinson/Wright have more of an alliance-friendship that's more on an equal footing of brother's in "the war on crime".
Bale and Oldman was such a good partnership, and it looks like Pattinson and Wright are also going to be great in a different way. Looking forward to the future of these two as well as the Catwoman and Penguin we have.

View attachment 57926

Wow. I genuinely thought that Jeffrey Wright nailing Gordon was one of the things that everyone universally agreed upon. What was your objection?

The only thing he does in the film is that he whispers like a perv and says "Jesus!!!". Completely uninteresting take imho. A lot becouse of how the character was written that way sure .

I always find it weird when you have comic book movies that in general have good designs, mess up on one character design.

You have a good Batgirl design, Batman, Firefly...why is Killer Moth then this weird?
How do you stumble on Killer Moth when you get a good Firefly look?
I mean sure you may not want a design that looks too similar to Firefly, but you still could have done more than this.

Getting huge vibes from AMS2's Rhino from that Killer Moth design, I must admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"