Batman Begins Batman Begins vs. Superman The Movie ( 1978).

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah, and it's pretty crazy b/c S:TM has held up pretty well for it's time. Visually, the film is still pretty solid. The acting still holds up great, and the story is great.

For me, Lex Luthor is the problem. Luthor seems more like a comedy relief character at times........and that's just not Luthor in my book. He should be scarier....a bit more demented. So, that's where STM kinda falls short against Batman Begins.
I also hate the fact that Otis (to me, at least) upstaged Luthor. It seemed like every scene involving the villains was more about Otis' comic relief than Luthor's, as you said, demented nature. If you actually took away the lackeys, the underground apartment building, and the hair, Hackman's Luthor isn't too bad, IMO.

CConn said:
I also hate the fact that Otis (to me, at least) upstaged Luthor. It seemed like every scene involving the villains was more about Otis' comic relief than Luthor's, as you said, demented nature. If you actually took away the lackeys, the underground apartment building, and the hair, Hackman's Luthor isn't too bad, IMO.

Oh defenitly. I mean really examine the dialogue there. And how Hackman acts when those lackeys aren't around. Pure Luthor. And get rid of the yellow collar.

I thought it made him look quite sharp. :(

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah, and it's pretty crazy b/c S:TM has held up pretty well for it's time. Visually, the film is still pretty solid. The acting still holds up great, and the story is great.

For me, Lex Luthor is the problem. Luthor seems more like a comedy relief character at times........and that's just not Luthor in my book. He should be scarier....a bit more demented. So, that's where STM kinda falls short against Batman Begins.
Luthor was evil enough to push a police officer in front of train, slowly. And when he shot a missle at each American coast it showed he was willing to kill millions for greed and power. The determination and desperation in Reeve's face when trying to stop both missles SOLD that scene, making Lois' death all the more tragic. How many superhero movies does the villian successfully kill the hero's love interest?

Ultimately there are two sides to the Superman movie. The Kal El side and the Clark Kent side. One is dark and serious the other is innocent and light hearted. :supes:

blind_fury said:
Luthor was evil enough to push a police officer in front of train, slowly. And when he shot a missle at each American coast it showed he was willing to kill millions for greed and power. The determination and desperation in Reeve's face when trying to stop both missles SOLD that scene, making Lois' death all the more tragic. How many superhero movies does the villian successfully kill the hero's love interest?
Which is why I said Luthor's characterization was fine. It was everything that surrounded him that diluted his effectiveness as a truly frightening (as frightening as Lex Luthor can be, at least) villain.

Yeah, that's true. I remember Luthor having some good lines, but then Otis ruining in by saying something stupid.

Oh defenitly. I mean really examine the dialogue there. And how Hackman acts when those lackeys aren't around. Pure Luthor. And get rid of the yellow collar.

Yeah. Did the wigs bother anyone else, though? I mean, it kinda bothered me at times.

Which is why I said Luthor's characterization was fine. It was everything that surrounded him that diluted his effectiveness as a truly frightening (as frightening as Lex Luthor can be, at least) villain.

I thought Lex was at his best with how cold he was towards his main squeeze. Her mom's about to die, and he could hardly give a ****. Gangsta, son. Otis sucked big time though.......

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah. Did the wigs bother anyone else, though?
Majorly. :o
ChrisBaleBatman said:
I thought Lex was at his best with how cold he was towards his main squeeze. Her mom's about to die, and he could hardly give a ****. Gangsta, son. Otis sucked big time though.......
That's true. Ms. Treshmacher was a pretty solid character. It was Otis that camped messed things up.

The wigs are hella suckage. ****ing Hackman you genius:(

Otis sucks and rocks at the same time. It's odd:( Though Teshmacher was kind of a fine character that could have done better if Otis wasn't around

...Otis ****ed over two characters

yes Otisberg:(

Yeah, totally. I had no problem with Teshmacher.........I mean Lex never seemed get soft b/c of her, ie: he didn't give a **** about her mom dying, and she was pretty solid. Otis seemed to be like the ******erd little brother that crapped over every good moment. I wanted to beat the hell out of him. Why didn't Lex beat him to death with his 9 iron or something.....I dunno.....

Begins. Superman was too long and campy. Although still pretty good.

blind_fury said:
The ending to Superman was SYMBOLIC. When someone you love deeply dies you wish you could turn back time. When Pa Kent dies Clark says "all my powers and I couldn't save him" or something like that. That's how helpless every man feels when a loved one dies. It's a powerful and universal theme.

The ending is far more epic and meaningful than any other superhero movie since. :supes:

i don't think it was symbolic...it seemed pretty literal. "let's reverse the earth's orbit, and therefore reverse time." things don't work that way. i know superhero movies are fantasy, but that is just going really overboard. i still think it's stupid (not the movie, the ending).

Well I think a german guy named Einstein had this theory about time travel being possible. I don't know it, but anyway it leads me to think that it really is possible under certain conditions: You have to be a god. You have to be able to fly super duper fast. You have to be extremely pissed.

Now I'm not sure about what really happened, but I hypothesize that superman traveled back in time during his super-back to the future-flight around the globe. I don't think he took time and dragged it back a few minutes, but went fast around the world at 88mph and zipped back to save lois somehow.... :) That's just my theory though. Paradoxes be damned!

Fighting crime better than a whole Police department and without guns because you have a nice bat costume.

wtf

LOL.......they're not even equal......I mean, the guy might end up dead....or the universe might implode killing everyone on the planet.......hmmmmm........yeah, same thing. Lmfao.

In the wtf level, they're the same.

Superman making time go backwards - wtf
One man overwhelming the whole police dept with a bat disguise - wtf

Both fantasy liberties.

Yeah......but your wtf'ing the entire premise of Batman.

I'm wtf'ong a scene from STM.

Quite different.

A guy from another distant planet that looks exactly like humans and who can fly with no propulsion system and thought it was cool to wear an acrobat tights with a cape to represent justice?

There you go.

Yeah.....but the spinning of the world was kinda......well, campy. It kinda felt like a tease, ya know. We killed Lois.....but, it's okay....Superman can travel in time.

Btw, if he can do that....why doesn't he just do it all the time? I mean....

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah.....but the spinning of the world was kinda......well, campy. It kinda felt like a tease, ya know. We killed Lois.....but, it's okay....Superman can travel in time.

Btw, if he can do that....why doesn't he just do it all the time? I mean....

Jor-El forbids him. Watch the movie please.

Actually, originally it was meant for the release of Zod from the Phantom Zone to be a direct result of Superman's spinning the world, thusly showing that there's grave consequences for doing such a thing. Unfortunately, it obviously wasn't shot as originally written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"