Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

spidermanJLA!~

SUPERHERO
Reaction score
I know both are completely different versions, but what would you prefer be Batman's future? Maybe's it's because of my childhood, but I like Batman Beyond being the future of Batman. Sure, Terry takes over the mantle completely, but I don't mind. :batty:

i like both the dark knight returns and batman beyond bruce i want bruce to have the batman beyond suit its more high tech but tdkr is a much beter comic book.:whatever:

Dark Knight Returns sucks.
Batman Beyond doesn't suck.

Simple answer.

Batman Beyond. While I enjoy TDKReturns as a story, I'm not a fan of Miller-Bats.

I prefer a shady Batman future. I like Beyond's timeline better, but I still want to see someone write a Batman story where he's actually still got friends as an old man.

I want to see the Earth Two Batman chilling in retirement with Selina and giving Dick Grayson the "I'll be right down here cleaning this gun" story if he wants to date Helena.

I loved Batman Beyond and its stylistic approach to the mythos is wonderful. But nothing and I mean nothing beats the Dark Knight Returns and its multilayered story telling. I honestly think that watchmen has nothing on it.

It took me a while to realize this, Year one I instantly realized was a classic. however DKR was bitter at first, but on the second or third reading I realized its greatness. It keeps on rewarding repeat viewings.

Beyond, I much prefer that as the future of Batman

I loved Batman Beyond and its stylistic approach to the mythos is wonderful. But nothing and I mean nothing beats the Dark Knight Returns and its multilayered story telling. I honestly think that watchmen has nothing on it.

It took me a while to realize this, Year one I instantly realized was a classic. however DKR was bitter at first, but on the second or third reading I realized its greatness. It keeps on rewarding repeat viewings.

Each to their own but I think Year One is by far the better book. I think the first half of Dark Knight Returns is brilliant but the second half is a strange mix. It worked better in the animation than the book IMO. The best future story ever in my opinion is Kingdom Come but that's because I'm more a Superman.

Last edited:
Each to their own but I think Year One is by far the better book. I think the first half of Dark Knight Returns is brilliant but the second half is a strange mix. It worked better in the animation than the book IMO. The best future story ever in my opinion is Kingdom Come but that's because I'm more a Superman.

I love the part in which Superman survives the nuclear blast, the scene almost makes him synonymous with a nuclear weapon. Reagan saying they have God on their side or the next best thing. Literally he means superman, figuratively this was written at the end of the cold war, '86 and people were still making bomb shelters. The fight between superman and batman at the end of the book is incredibly symbolic. Batman is a normal man refusing to bow to a government that now has god like powers on their side, aka nuclear weapons. It's an incredible message of courage.

I like Beyond way better than TDKReturns. However, I also like Kingdom Come and TDKRises if that counts as future.

I think I lost a couple of brain cells from reading that.

Not only do I prefer the dimmer yet energetic vibe of Beyond, but Returns portrays an egotistical, brutish Batman, while Beyond's is wisely reserved and more themed around loneliness, subtlety, and intellect.

The whole arrogant self-entitlement turf war bull**** is dumb to me, and childish of someone as mature and experienced as Batman - especially at the tail-end of his career. I feel TDKR's Batman has a petty point of view for the most part, barring his bravery to stand up to corruption that even Superman wouldn't, while Beyond's is honorable and a bit sad.

This was also my problem with Rises, but at least it was temporary in Rises (just one scene, to memory), and there's enough of the other approach (every interaction with Selina) to make me happy.

I would prefer Dark Knight Returns over Beyond just because of Bruce Wayne being able to return and have another crack at saving Gotham once and for all.

lol You're hilarious. :lmao:

How so? This isn't an opinion, this is fact. The Dark Knight Returns was a hugely acclaimed and influential graphic novel that help shaped the dark, psychological image of Batman that we have today. It's work is celebrated to this day and the movie adaptation was Oscar worthy. The high point of Batman Beyond was Return of The Joker and that has nothing on the graphic novel and almost seems silly in comparison with the way they brought the Joker back. Like I said, this is Saturday morning cartoon stuff. It's a fantastic series that I loved but it didn't bring much new to the table and the best stuff was just throwbacks to the old series in the first place. To prefer one over the other is fine, but to say the superior and more important one sucks in favour of the other is just completely wrong. It shows your ignorance and if you fail to recognize the achievment of The Dark Knight Returns then you clearly aren't a legitimate fan of the character and are just trolling. I love Batman Beyond but it's not even in the same league as The Dark Knight Returns. Period.

How so? This isn't an opinion, this is fact. The Dark Knight Returns was a hugely acclaimed and influential graphic novel that help shaped the dark, psychological image of Batman that we have today. It's work is celebrated to this day and the movie adaptation was Oscar worthy. The high point of Batman Beyond was Return of The Joker and that has nothing on the graphic novel and almost seems silly in comparison with the way they brought the Joker back. Like I said, this is Saturday morning cartoon stuff. It's a fantastic series that I loved but it didn't bring much new to the table and the best stuff was just throwbacks to the old series in the first place. To prefer one over the other is fine, but to say the superior and more important one sucks in favour of the other is just completely wrong. It shows your ignorance and if you fail to recognize the achievment of The Dark Knight Returns then you clearly aren't a legitimate fan of the character and are just trolling. I love Batman Beyond but it's not even in the same league as The Dark Knight Returns. Period.

Dude it's not fact it's all about opinion, accept that other people have their own views. Some people don't like tea but I don't say it's a fact that tea is great. Stop getting on your high horse and accept others opinions.

Dude it's not fact it's all about opinion, accept that other people have their own views. Some people don't like tea but I don't say it's a fact that tea is great. Stop getting on your high horse and accept others opinions.

It's not a fact that The Dark Knight Returns is better than Batman Beyond, it's a fact that Dark Knight Returns is a highly acclaimed novel and one of the most influential comic books in the Batman legacy. If that's not a fact I don't know what is.

It's not a fact that The Dark Knight Returns is better than Batman Beyond, it's a fact that Dark Knight Returns is a highly acclaimed novel and one of the most influential comic books in the Batman legacy. If that's not a fact I don't know what is.

In other words: everyone loves DKR so you must too! Follow the crowd! Truth is decided by majority opinion! Don't dare to have an opinion of your own!

Are you here to contribute to an enjoyable conversation or just to insult people who think differently than you?

I actually quite dislike a lot of DKR. The art is atrocious. The characterization of Batman is not the sort of characterization that I enjoy him having. Frankly I think it is one of the most overrated comic book stories of all time.

We all have our different opinions. I for one, despite all the acclaim, am not a big fan of TDKReturns. Batman Beyond has a share of it's awards an acclaim too, and I just prefer it to TDKR. Even here in this thread, despite all the acclaim, the poll has BB winning against TDKR. I never liked the borderline psycho Batman. I prefer the grumpy old man in BB. Besides, you could argue that BB is more realistic, considering how can a 55 year old man can go out breaking bones. In BB, he was mad about his age, wishing he could get back out there. But he can't.

dustin-nguyen-batman-beyond-1.jpg

[YT][/YT]
In other words: everyone loves DKR so you must too! Follow the crowd! Truth is decided by majority opinion! Don't dare to have an opinion of your own!

Are you here to contribute to an enjoyable conversation or just to insult people who think differently than you?

I actually quite dislike a lot of DKR. The art is atrocious. The characterization of Batman is not the sort of characterization that I enjoy him having. Frankly I think it is one of the most overrated comic book stories of all time.

:up: totally agree

Haha oh man I forgot this forum is populated by 12 year olds. Well enjoy guys. DKR sucks.. I forgot, that's fact in this thread apparently.

You're been an idiot, everyone's having their own opinion. You're trying to force yours on others. Tbh I'd say you are trolling the way you're carrying on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"