Batman hits women?

Oswald

Civilian
Reaction score
It's for an academic work I'm doing: does Batman use to hit women when they are criminals (like Poison Ivy, the only real woman villain Batman has)? Or he just attacks physically men?

Poison Ivy

Ivykick.jpg

Harley Quinn

jokerversushuntress09.jpg

Lady Shiva

batshiva23.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, he does, if someone is trying to hurt or kill him, it doesn't matter what sex they are, he wwill put them down. That cene in Batman Returns where he's fighting Catwoman, he knocks her down, she whines "How could you? I'm a woman!" and he apologizes, and goes to help her up, and she clocks him one, that scene never made any sense to me. She had been trying to practically kill him, and just because she's a woman he falls for a bit as bad as "Hey! look behind you!" I've never bought that bit, he ain't supposed to be that stupid. I would have had him say, in response to her "I'm a woman." line, "So? What's your point?" as he keeps his guard up. If he has to, he will hit a woman.

As someone else stated once, I didn't like how he apologized to Catwoman. She was a criminal and physically trying to assault him. Batman hits women, men, whoever is breaking the law and needs to be putdown. He beats up Talia's guards pretty good in Arkham City as well.

Some of those can be interpreted badly maybe, but isn't Lady Shiva a MASTER ASSASIN? Hitting her in the jaw is not all that bad considering she could potentially kill you in a thousand different ways.

I don't really have an issue with Batman punch people who are attacking him, even if they are women. If Superman did it though, that would seem kind of strange.

Some of those can be interpreted badly maybe, but isn't Lady Shiva a MASTER ASSASIN? Hitting her in the jaw is not all that bad considering she could potentially kill you in a thousand different ways.

That was from Loeb's awful Public Enemies saga, in which screw character traits ensues. Shiva is one of the only people that can not only defeat Batman in combat but flat out demolish him.

I mean if he hates female criminals as much as he hates male criminals, because his original trauma is with a male criminal (Joe Chill).

He's not the Punisher dude.

He hates Crime, not Criminals. There's a difference.

I don't really have an issue with Batman punch people who are attacking him, even if they are women. If Superman did it though, that would seem kind of strange.

What if it's this broad?

Mongal_zps02b4adc6.jpg

He hates Crime, not Criminals. There's a difference.

What difference? Crime doesn't exist like an abstract entity, it's just people who break the imposed law, and in the case of Batman concretely people who kill other people. My doubt is if he hates the assassins women (like Poison Ivy) as much as the assassins men.

Last edited:
Of course theres a difference. :confused: The difference being the lack of dead criminals.

Hell, he wont even give em a beating if they give up.

Of course theres a difference. :confused: The difference being the lack of dead criminals.

Hell, he wont even give em a beating if they give up.

Dead criminals? Sorry, I don't understand you... What's the difference between hating crimen and hating criminals?

That was from Loeb's awful Public Enemies saga, in which screw character traits ensues. Shiva is one of the only people that can not only defeat Batman in combat but flat out demolish him.

So you are ok with Batman hitting her right? Because clearly she could handle some physical violence.

As someone else stated once, I didn't like how he apologized to Catwoman. She was a criminal and physically trying to assault him. Batman hits women, men, whoever is breaking the law and needs to be putdown. He beats up Talia's guards pretty good in Arkham City as well.
Exactly.

Batman slaps *****es when they deserve it
:funny:

What difference? Crime doesn't exist like an abstract entity, it's just people who break the imposed law, and in the case of Batman concretely people who kill other people. My doubt is if he hates the assassins women (like Poison Ivy) as much as the assassins men.

I think it's interesting that society still prescribes to the norm that it's "never okay to hit a woman."

Now while I've never hit a woman, and don't intend on it (it's not in my nature and I was raised by my parents to never strike a female)... I still think hitting a woman can be warranted, in some (perhaps very few) instances. If you're going to use Batman and his female rogues as an example - I would have to say his use of violence against women is warranted. After all, these women are not only a threat to him, but other innocent people. I'd imagine it's a decision that Batman actually has to think about before he chooses to strike. Heck, even Burton's Batman was hesitant and apologetic when it came to hitting women.

Dead criminals? Sorry, I don't understand you... What's the difference between hating crimen and hating criminals?

If your brother or your sister or one of your friends broke something precious to you... you don't hate them, you hate what they did... you hate their actions. Same thing here.

I think it's interesting that society still prescribes to the norm that it's "never okay to hit a woman."

Now while I've never hit a woman, and don't intend on it (it's not in my nature and I was raised by my parents to never strike a female)... I still think hitting a woman can be warranted, in some (perhaps very few) instances. If you're going to use Batman and his female rogues as an example - I would have to say his use of violence against women is warranted. After all, these women are not only a threat to him, but other innocent people. I'd imagine it's a decision that Batman actually has to think about before he chooses to strike. Heck, even Burton's Batman was hesitant and apologetic when it came to hitting women.

Well, you're infinitely more likely to be attacked by a man than a woman, if you're a man.

And, most women don't have a chance fighting men (despite what movies might show you), simply due to the disparity in body strength (especially upper body strength).

So, it's a fairly universal taboo.

Still, I think most people once they get attacked, say to hell with it, and swing away.

If your brother or your sister or one of your friends broke something precious to you... you don't hate them, you hate what they did... you hate their actions. Same thing here.

But Batman hates the criminals, although he doesn't kill them. The violence he uses against them proves he hates them as hell, but he has a huge auto-control (unlike Punisher or Red Hood, for example). Look at the sentence in the first pannel of this page from Cacophony:

batman-cacophony-019.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"