Batman marries Catwoman in the DCEU?

Osiris-Rex

Head-Kick
Reaction score
Should Batman and Catwoman get married in the DCEU? In the final scene of TDKR it was pretty obvious the Bruce and Selina had something going on. And something is going on with them in the Batman comic books.
Should this theme of Batman and Catwoman as partners, both in action and romantically, be made a part of the DCEU?

I don't have any intrinsic problem with the idea, I just don't think they've done any of the character setup to make it sensical. If he were to marry Selina, it really should have already happened in his backstory by this point. Downside of starting off the character with 10+ years of activity.

I don't have any intrinsic problem with the idea, I just don't think they've done any of the character setup to make it sensical. If he were to marry Selina, it really should have already happened in his backstory by this point. Downside of starting off the character with 10+ years of activity.

There hasn't really been that much of a backstory for Batman so far. We get the part where his parents are murdered and then it skips forward to where
he is old and bitter. Gotham City Sirens and The Batman could fill in those details and show how they met, come to know each other and, like TDKR, fall in love.

I would love it if it happened but it aint.

I highly doubt they'll get married in the comic and it'll be a cold day in hell if they do in the films.

There hasn't really been that much of a backstory for Batman so far. We get the part where his parents are murdered and then it skips forward to where
he is old and bitter. Gotham City Sirens and The Batman could fill in those details and show how they met, come to know each other and, like TDKR, fall in love.

Thing is, if they had fallen in love in the backstory, this should have been relevant and obvious in BvS. For it not to be would only work if they'd either broken up, or she died. Neither outcome is desirable.

For the films? Not unless they take time in at least 2 separate films to set it up and do a good job setting up the kind of amicable long term association that could lead to it.

For the comics? I'm kind of hoping so. Batman and Catwoman are honestly the two characters who could most easily be depicted establishing a long term relationship with a totally acceptable bail out option in divorce without it running either character. Spider-Man, Superman, and the Flash all had marriages that got removed via clumsy retcons once editorial got cold feet at *gasp* letting character grow and change! and they *had* to use a retcon in part because all three of those relationships were between characters designed to gel into a successful relationship; using divorce to break them up would require major work to do without making a mistake, and still risking turning the fanbase against either character or the franchise.

In contrast, you could easily justify Selina "Imma steal it!" Kyle and Bruce "Justice!" Wayne discovering that their marriage just won't quote work out. So if you get cold feet because you lack the cajones to try something different, you'd need maybe one arc, and boom! Problem solved. And I'd argue that a BatCat marriage easily affords you all the story options you'd need to make it work, both with a successful marriage, a tempestuous one, or a failed one.

In conclusion, if they set it up, I'd be up for it in the DCEU. But it would need to be set up.

I love the idea of a married Bruce and Selina, just like I love the idea of Peter and MJ being married. After decades and decades of the same "single and ready to mingle" status of these characters I'd love to see them grow up and face more mature challenges that people can relate to. It's also a natural progression of the characters. It just makes sense that eventually they'd find someone they want to settle down with.

Alas, comics and to a lesser extent the movies always want to keep things as fresh as possible without actually changing the status quo. If they do, they'll sooner or later revert back into easy mode. As much as I'd like to see it I don't have much hope for the current Bruce/Selina tease going on in the comics. Even if she says yes, I don't expect it to last very long because writers don't have the guts to actually the progress the characters and make them more than basic. Bruce will go back to being the brooding playboy and Selina will go back to being the elusive femme fatale. They'll continue to tease their relationship without ever doing anything with it, as has been tradition for decades. I'm afraid Catwoman will always be the tease and nothing more for Batman. The TDKR ending is probably the closest we'll get although it felt forced. Romance was never Nolan's strong suit.

Neither are anywhere near well adjusted enough to enter into a marriage. I just don't see how, with the established characterisations, that you can justify or convincingly put a case together for them to get married.

Neither are anywhere near well adjusted enough to enter into a marriage. I just don't see how, with the established characterisations, that you can justify or convincingly put a case together for them to get married.

For the comics? That's arguably inconsequential for the DC Rebirth storyline where they're teasing it; King's using the "integrate what you want" element of the Rebirth to pull in whatever elements he wants. New 52 Catwoman didn't know who Batman was, Rebirth Catwoman does, and King went out of his way to obfuscate their history even more by having them recall both the first meeting from Batman #1 and from Year One and argue which was their first meeting. And considering that only a few years ago Paul Dini was writing them as a very possible permanent couple, that's the kind of stuff King could reference if he wants to. And if he doesn't want it to work, he can reference other stuf. Since he just spent two whole arcs showing them as a couple, well...

But again, for the movies, they can't do it unless they take the time to *establish* it. Like, if they did, they'd need to have Gotham Sirens probably feature Bruce Wayne as a major supporting character throughout and have Selina's subplot focus on the relationship. And that's unlikely.

She's always been my favorite choice for a love interest for Bruce right next to Andrea Beaumont, so yes, I wouldn't mind that happening. It's already been done extremely well in Batman Returns ( not in the marriage sense, but their relationship was handled brilliantly ) and.... Okay, I guess, in TDKR , though, so for the sake of not being repetitive, they probably won't and shouldn't do it.

Last edited:
For the comics? That's arguably inconsequential for the DC Rebirth storyline where they're teasing it; King's using the "integrate what you want" element of the Rebirth to pull in whatever elements he wants. New 52 Catwoman didn't know who Batman was, Rebirth Catwoman does, and King went out of his way to obfuscate their history even more by having them recall both the first meeting from Batman #1 and from Year One and argue which was their first meeting. And considering that only a few years ago Paul Dini was writing them as a very possible permanent couple, that's the kind of stuff King could reference if he wants to. And if he doesn't want it to work, he can reference other stuf. Since he just spent two whole arcs showing them as a couple, well...

But again, for the movies, they can't do it unless they take the time to *establish* it. Like, if they did, they'd need to have Gotham Sirens probably feature Bruce Wayne as a major supporting character throughout and have Selina's subplot focus on the relationship. And that's unlikely.

I agree. King has done quite the admirable job of building on Bruce and Selina's established history in a way that feels organic and surprisingly appropriate. And it was Loeb (with Hush) and especially Dini (with Heart of Hush) who precipitated the change. Reading both of their respective runs along with King's groundbreaking work on the main title, even the most ardent cynic would be hard-pressed to dismiss how well the characters fit together. What's more is that they've already been through the worst and come out stronger for it. At this point, marriage is basically a foregone conclusion. It's not as if they would be instantly transformed into the predictable couple next door; they'd just be seeing a lot more of each other.

Having said that, time constraints make the above a good bit more difficult to pull off on film unless one makes proper use of interludes and such. Plus, as an audience, we've just been introduced to this Batman. I can't speak for everyone, but I need to see him do his miserable, solitary existence thing before moving on to greener pastures. lol

Jesus Christ, no.

If Bruce or Selina got married, it definitely shouldn't be to each other. Selina, IMO, has often felt watered down enough as it is in the past 15 or so years in the comics. Marriage, particularly a successful one, would probably make things worse.

No offense, people talk about progress and change, but want to see the same characters stuck together for decades on end. That ends up being just as stagnant as them remaining single.

Also, we've seen three different versions of Batman cover the Bat/Cat relationship. I'd rather see Bruce and Silver or a proper Bruce/Talia relationship instead of Bruce and Selina yet again.

There was a period when I was a fan of Bruce/Dinah, though sadly neither has been in a state where you'd wish them together for a long time.

I'd support Bruce/Dinah or Bruce/Zatanna over a long term Bruce/Selina or Bruce/Talia relationship.

I'd support Bruce/Dinah or Bruce/Zatanna over a long term Bruce/Selina or Bruce/Talia relationship.

I think the issue with Selina and Talia is that, for the relationship to actually work, they basically have to change radically in premise. Bruce/Talia doesn't work so long as Ra's is a thing and Talia still has divided loyalties; resolving that means getting rid of one of Batman's most important villains. Bruce/Selina, similarly, can't work without Selina ceasing to be a thief; she'd have to transition to being something else, which is not what she is, iconically.

Whereas Dinah and Zatanna could outright get married to Bruce and have a gaggle of kids, and yet still be Dinah and Zatanna in every way that matters. Dating Batman doesn't require a superheroine to stop being a superheroine.

Well, if they go with Bruce/Diana then it's a moot point.

Personally I'd rather Selina than any other. I haven't read any Batman comics, but Keaton/Pfeifer were a thing where Catwoman was a dark, vengeful 'hero.' And Bale/Hathaway, where Selina was a pretty much wanting out of the crime business, or at least just a clean slate.

I liked both of those takes with her as the anti-hero, and since those are my only memories of Batman, those are what I gravitate towards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"