Batman OYL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by sinewave, Apr 25, 2006.

1. sinewave Registered

I couldn't find a OYL thread for Bats so I created one. If one already existst please merge this one with it. Thanks.

Okay, anyone else happy that the Ventriloquist and Scarface are finally dead? That was perhaps Batman's lamest villain. R.I.P. I hope they are serious about cleaning up his rogues gallery, because it's in need of a little pruning. Anyone else agree?

2. nite-owl Registered

Yeah I agree I never liked those two anyway. But what I loved about it the most is that Batmans not a dick anymore, him and Robin are a team again and Gordons back as the comishner. This is probably my favourite OYL that I am getting along side Robin, Superman and I still need to get the Teen Titans OYL.

3. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

I am enjoying OYL, except for Nightwing which is complete garbage.

4. Nightwing 52 Things change

Along with Magpie. The Face the Face arc for OYL is one I'm really enjoying, Bruce is no longer pushing anyone away and has rebuilt his partnership with Tim again. I liked how he told Tim that he can see the potential in him to be even better then Dick was when he was wearing the mask, Batman #652 is out tomorrow. Don Kramer spoke about working on the issue and arc which included preview pages of it, it can be seen here.

Indeed, all the other titles are proving to be worth reading for OYL. I've dropped Nightwing after issue #119, and already explained my reasons why.

5. sinewave Registered

yeah, i'm digging batman, robin and superman OYL. i completely agree with your statement on nightwing. they're butchering that book with crappy writing, characterization and even worse art. yuck! :(

6. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Aside from the crappy design they gave Dick (mullet and the utility belt/harness thingy), the art is one of Nightwing's least worries.

7. sinewave Registered

maybe but it completely throws me off the story. it's so inconsistent from one page to the next. nightwing deserves much better.

8. Nightwing 52 Things change

Until all that's corrected, I won't be picking up the book till then. Though, with the route it's going I don't think it'll be back in my list for a good long time. The whole year jump for Nightwing has been a total disaster, from him proposing to Barbara before it began to him now sleeping with random women he hasn't even introduced him self too. And it seems it'll only get worse as the woman he slept with (Cheyenne Freemont) looks to be donning a Nightwing suit of her own in July's issue.

Exactly. I dislike the fact that he uses a utility belt, only because his gauntlets were supposed to serve as his own. Now, they've given Jason his old look.

9. ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

I dunno, Nightwing seems kinda fine to me.......making him a total man ****e is cool with me.

10. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I find it interesting in One Year Later that it seems Harvey since he has been cured was basic like a vigilante why Bats was gone.

11. Nightwing 52 Things change

Bullock's characterization for OYL is something I'm also enjoying, just look at this page for issue #652 on sale tomorrow.

[​IMG]

12. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

No it isn't, because it was a great scene in Nightwing #117 where Dick proposed to Barbara and that completely threw that scene down the gutters. It's out of character for him, it's stupid, and frankly the fans want him to be with either Oracle or Starfire not sleeping around with random women like Arsenal or Green Arrow. Nightwing seems completely noobish, Jason Todd was awesome as the Red Hood, but is stupid as Nightwing. Dick should have never wished that the Joker finished off his OWN FREAKING BROTHER, he should be in Gotham now that Bludhaven is destroyed not New York City, that or with the Outsiders presumed dead like the others. There is just so much to rant about this crap.

DC will probally ignore this arc of Nightwing and it will be quietly forgotten sooner or later.

13. Mee 2 E's are better than 1

I like Gordon and Bullock being back. Robin's around too much for my taste so far. Part of making Bats a nicer guy I guess, which I dunno if I like.

14. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

It's a good change after a long and overused period of time of *****ebag Batman.

15. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

I like that he is. Reminds me of the TAS days. :)

16. Mee 2 E's are better than 1

I didn't think he was that bad. Sure some writers made him that way, and I guess it got worse after Identity Crisis and the whole Omac and Max Lord thing, but I like Bats dark and suspicious of everything. (to an extent)

17. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

War Crimes, No Man's Land, Tower of Babel, Green Lantern: Rebirth, and other stories have portrayed Batman as a complete *****e. He can still be dark and suspicious, but can't he show a tad bit of respect to his comrades.

18. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

How did those storylines make him seem like a *****e? Curious cause I have not read some of those.

19. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

War Games: Batman takes over the GCPD, ignores Oracle, willing to throw away his life, came up with a plan to take over every gang in Gotham City

No Man's Land: temporarily abandons Gotham, takes away the mantle of Batgirl from the Huntress after she failed in a mission that was impossible to succeed, refused help from other superheroes

Officer Down: acted like a little whiney b***h after Gordon got shot, left most of the work to his sidekicks

War Drums: fired Stephanie Brown for only trying to help him

Under the Hood: treated Zatanna with extreme disrespect

Nightwing: Year One: fired Dick Grayson for his work in the Titans

JLA: Tower of Babel: came up with contingency plans to defeat the members of the JLA and other superheroes

Outsiders: Wanted: funded the Outsiders secretly without telling Nightwing

the Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen: pinned the Flash against the wall telling him that if he doesn't handle his rogues, he will

Green Lantern: Rebirth: hated Hal Jordan

the OMAC Project: came up with the Brother Mk. I satelite system, treated Booster Gold with disrespect, rejected Wonder Woman's friendship after she saved his life and killed Max Lord when she had no choice

Infinite Crisis: tells Superman that he is no longer inspiring

20. warren_sparta27 Registered

OYL has been great seeing Bullock back.
    and Gordon back as commish, and Batman and Robin wokring together well.
    see what happens when you don't act like a complete *******.

21. Shoegazer Registered

Bullock kicks ass. I hope he's around for a long time.

22. Mister J Enlightened to the Great Darkness

I'm enjoying OYL . They've eliminated the Batman Prick Factor and have shown an emphasis on the relationships that make the Batman universe great.

23. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Whoa, you went into detail. lol.

24. Mee 2 E's are better than 1

I'll agree some of those were too much. But you can look at other stories, Hush, Broken City, he wasn't a complete jerk in those.

25. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Hence why I didn't list them.

But you are right on some being to much, he at least had the right to be a complete *****e to Zatanna and had a reason not to tell Dick that he was funding the Outsiders, but they were still rather *****ebaggy things.