Batman : Rebirth vs Infinite Frontier

XDrakeX

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello,

I'am fairly new into DC, some of the concepts like relaunches are quite strange for me, so I have couple of questions, mainly about Batman

1. Is a good idea to start reading Batman (and Batfamily) from Infinite Frontier? I mean starting Batman 2016 on issue #86 and skipping whole Rebirth part. I would like not to read Rebirth because its a lot of content there. Infinite Froniter is fresh, so its an opportunity to be up to date

2. Would I lost much, if I start Infinite Frontier without Rebirth? Is the plot connected with each other?

3. I would be greatful If anyone would explain why exactly DC created another "relaunch" :)

"Rebirth" and "New Frontier" are broader publishing initiatives that only have significant impact in and on certain larger books.

So in regards to Batman, it's irrelevant. Tom King wrote Batman from 1-85 and James Tynion IV picked the book up from 86. The banner each writer's run falls under has no bearing in the content. And you dont nees King's run to jump into Tynion's run.

That said, you'll find a very split opinion here about Batman since 2016. Tom King's Batman run brought me back to Batman and DC in general after being turned off by the New52. I found it portrayed a much more human and fallible, and therefore more relatable, Batman than he's been portrayed in years. Tom King also took a very formal approach to the crafting of a long form superhero comic in that it never looked or read like youe typical superhero book. He also had some of the best artists in the game drawing the book.

James Tynion has never done much for me as a writer, from his Talon book to his Detective Comics run to even his creator owned books. The few issues, about 7 or 8, I've read of his Batman before dropping it felt so obvious as far as superhero comics go and I don't really feel I'm missing out.

On the other hand, you'll find a bunch of foljs who think King's run is awful and that Tynion's is great.

My advice is peruse both writers' runs and see which sounds appealing.

Agreed. Both have their ups and downs in terms of quality, but it really doesn’t matter in terms of whether you will understand the story. I will say that there are a number of Batman titles out there and the two flagships are Batman and Detective Comics. The age old question has always been which do you prefer. I, myself am a fan of Detective Comics.

If you are interested in the character, I’d recommend some of his older stories, especially from the Bronze Age, like the Strange Apparitions storyline, or the demon trilogy (Birth of the Demon, Bride of the Demon, and Son of the Demon) or stories like Hush, or The Long Halloween. Any of those can be found easily collected.

Rebirth was basically a sort of a soft reboot of DC Universe. Basically DC was moving away from New 52 and some what restoring DC Universe as it was. Rebirth was a great place to jump in to.

So let me give you some advice if your look to get in to DC tread carefully as DC is making some massive changes. Right now Clark Kent is stepping away from being Superman and being replaced by his son. Batman is about to go through the same thing. I don't know why DC is doing this but that's direction they are taking.

In sort it means here soon Bruce Wayne won't be Batman. Not sure who taking over but I think it will be Luke Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"