BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even spiderman, xmen and captain america movies had bigger budgets and bigger names than Deadpool.

WB is establishing the DCU. If BvS is profitable they can't care less of who does more or less.

They did have bigger budgets which goes back to my point about Deadpool being the case study for other studios.

WB is still looking to get its footing for the DCU. BvS being profitable is one thing. Living up to it's potential is something else. Especially when world building. They'll need a momentum and tone that can span multiple movies.

If this doesn't live up to its potential Box Office wise I'd look for tonal changes in future projects.

A rough estimate of the 2nd weekend numbers:

Friday: $16M
Saturday: $24M
Sunday: $15M

Total: $55M (-67%)

I got these numbers by following the percentage trend of Deadpool's 2nd weekend.

I'd be fine with this all things considered. Still don't get why WB isn't shooting the incentive gun for 2nd weekend. That's what this thing needs

They did have bigger budgets which goes back to my point about Deadpool being the case study for other studios.

WB is still looking to get its footing for the DCU. BvS being profitable is one thing. Living up to it's potential is something else. Especially when world building. They'll need a momentum and tone that can span multiple movies.

If this doesn't live up to its potential Box Office wise I'd look for tonal changes in future projects.

Ironically, WB/DC has gone to both extreme ends of the spectrum of campiness (B&R) and serious of seriousness (BvS). They might go into panic mode as a result. The Box Office is a scary place for their properties.

I'd be fine with this all things considered. Still don't get why WB isn't shooting the incentive gun for 2nd weekend. That's what this thing needs

WB probably thinks that it isn't worth the cost at this point. How much would it cost for them to distribute and market the extended cut in theatres before the next blockbuster comes out? I know if I was in charge lol, I would release the extended cut before it reaches its 4th weekend and starts to look stale to patrons deciding which movie to watch.

WB probably thinks that it isn't worth the cost at this point. How much would it cost for them to distribute and market the extended cut in theatres before the next blockbuster comes out? I know if I was in charge lol, I would release the extended cut before it reaches its 4th weekend and starts to look stale to patrons deciding which movie to watch.

No idea. If it were me I'd release it this weekend in two dozen cities. And give free SS tickets to all IMAX BvS moviegoers. One thing's for sure those fan screenings they did weren't worth the added expense. Ticket presales were already soaring. If they were gonna do a fan screening to counter critic response it can't be one day before the embargo lifts. Do you think it would give it a big enough boost? I could see a 15% uptick from that

No idea. If it were me I'd release it this weekend in two dozen cities. And give free SS tickets to all IMAX BvS moviegoers. One thing's for sure those fan screenings they did weren't worth the added expense. Ticket presales were already soaring. If they were gonna do a fan screening to counter critic response it can't be one day before the embargo lifts. Do you think it would give it a big enough boost? I could see a 15% uptick from that

If they released the extended cut here in Toronto, I would SO pay to watch it for the second time. You hear me WB?!

I think not only would it give it a bit of a boost, it would possibly bolster more goodwill towards the DCEU franchise and Snyder as well. Social media would react more positively than negatively.

It wouldn't salvage it completely, but it would show that they are listening and that they are willing to address some of the concerns that audiences have.

But who knows? Say they do the limited theatrical run and it shows a 300% increase in ticket sales for example. They could do a smaller expansion run and create something of a demand. I can imagine hearing people ask, as well as myself ask:

"Is your theatre showing the extended cut of Batman vs Superman or the original one? Your answer determines whether I will be buying a ticket or not."

Last edited:
This movie should thank god for having some terrible competition.

Regardless of how much money it drops it'll still be the technically biggest film out for some time.

This movie should thank god for having some terrible competition.

Regardless of how much money it drops it'll still be the technically biggest film out for some time.

Sort of makes you wonder if Easter weekend will have a blockbuster from here on out.

If an "average" film can gross that much, what about one with better reviews.

Sort of makes you wonder if Easter weekend will have a blockbuster from here on out.

We will see big movies all over the year soon. We're constantly sewing movies do well in previously poor slots so the whole summer blockbuster thing is not that unique anymore.

You mean one like Furious 7? It dropped 60% in week 2 and 51% in week 3.

Based on early Friday results deadline puts it in the high 50s, maybe $60 million range for the weekend.

Why are people acting like it was lucky BVS is in a spot that has no competition? That was the entire point of putting the movie in the time frame, so it can make a killing the rest of the weeks ahead.

I'm not worried about this movie making money or it hindering the rest of the DCEU movies. It has already made a lot of money and it looks to make a good chunk of money again this weekend.

Very good news since I loved the movie and look forward to everything else.

If they released the extended cut here in Toronto, I would SO pay to watch it for the second time. You hear me WB?!

I think not only would it give it a bit of a boost, it would possibly bolster more goodwill towards the DCEU franchise and Snyder as well. Social media would react more positively than negatively.

It wouldn't salvage it completely, but it would show that they are listening and that they are willing to address some of the concerns that audiences have.

But who knows? Say they do the limited theatrical run and it shows a 300% increase in ticket sales for example. They could do a smaller expansion run and create something of a demand. I can imagine hearing people ask, as well as myself ask:

"Is your theatre showing the extended cut of Batman vs Superman or the original one? Your answer determines whether I will be buying a ticket or not."

I'm pretty sure at this point anything would help. Free tshirts. Popcorn. Whatever stops the drop from going above 55% would be a huge success

I'm pretty sure at this point anything would help. Free tshirts. Popcorn. Whatever stops the drop from going above 55% would be a huge success

I liked your idea with the super ticket and buying one of those for the EC gives you a discount towards a ticket to see Suicide Squad.

Why are people acting like it was lucky BVS is in a spot that has no competition? That was the entire point of putting the movie in the time frame, so it can make a killing the rest of the weeks ahead.

I'm not worried about this movie making money or it hindering the rest of the DCEU movies. It has already made a lot of money and it looks to make a good chunk of money again this weekend.

It's complicated...

It's true that the movie isn't doing that great after the initial OW.

It's also true that it isn't doing THAT bad.

It's a glass half empty/full scenario. Like you, I really enjoyed it and highly doubt anything major will change moving forward with DCEU.

I liked your idea with the super ticket and buying one of those for the EC gives you a discount towards a ticket to see Suicide Squad.

People like free ****. They'll line up for five hours for a free movie regardless of what it is. It's not hard or expensive to dangle the freebie carrot.

Weekend 2 - BvS extended cut in 25 IMAX theaters. Each tickets gets a BvS IMAX tshirt

Weekend 3 - BvS IMAX tickets come with free tickets to SS

Weekend 4 - All BvS tickets come with 50% discount for BvS Blu-ray

All of that put together would be cheaper than those fan screenings they out on. Plus adds BO revenue. But I dunno. Could be a waste of money at this point

It's complicated...

It's true that the movie isn't doing that great after the initial OW.

It's also true that it isn't doing THAT bad.

It's a glass half empty/full scenario. Like you, I really enjoyed it and highly doubt anything major will change moving forward with DCEU.

It's Man of Steel all over again...

That's the whole point. This movie should be killing it with no competition, but because of the poor word of mouth this is having one of the worst free falls for a major studio film we've seen in some time.

People like free ****. They'll line up for five hours for a free movie regardless of what it is. It's not hard or expensive to dangle the freebie carrot.

Weekend 2 - BvS extended cut in 25 IMAX theaters. Each tickets gets a BvS IMAX tshirt

Weekend 3 - BvS IMAX tickets come with free tickets to SS

Weekend 4 - All BvS tickets come with 50% discount for BvS Blu-ray

All of that put together would be cheaper than those fan screenings they out on. Plus adds BO revenue. But I dunno. Could be a waste of money at this point

Do you work in marketing/advertising? Because i would be down for all of those lol.

Weekend 5 - see BvS in IMAX and get a free BvS IMAX poster and digital download of the BvS soundtrack on top of 50% discount off tickets to see SS.

Weekend 6 - free popcorn in a collectible BvS popcorn bucket and 50% off SS tickets.

Weekend 7 - free limited edition IMAX-exclusive Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn poster. Resulting in a 1000% increase in BvS ticket sales.

Last edited:
Do you work in marketing/advertising? Because i would be down for all of those lol. Week 5 see BvS in IMAX and get a free BvS IMAX poster and digital download of the BvS soundtrack.

Hah no not quite. But I've been doing this long enough to have my finger close enough to the GA pulse.

And yes, that's a good one too. You need repeat business at this point and this movie will inevitably suffer from lack of it. I'm still amazed they put out a 2.5 hr movie. That alone cuts into ticket sales

EDIT: How about every weekend gets a new exclusive Suicide Squad character poster ala Marvel does at Comic Con for each different day?

Now it's 55%? I thought anything above 61% or 62% was the decent amount. I also don't understand how giving free Suicide Squad tickets and popcorn and whatever else should be free will help the studio.

If it makes over 55mil it will be a huge success to a lot of people and to hit the panic button and throw free stuff for no reason 7 days into a movies box office is kind of a dumb business move.

Why would you cannibalize sales for SS just to increase sales for BvS?

Hah no not quite. But I've been doing this long enough to have my finger close enough to the GA pulse.

And yes, that's a good one too. You need repeat business at this point and this movie will inevitably suffer from lack of it. I'm still amazed they put out a 2.5 hr movie. That alone cuts into ticket sales

Well Fandango already determined that about 30% of the profit they're seeing is because of repeat business. Whether or not that holds up this weekend is what remains to be seen.

Why would you cannibalize sales for SS just to increase sales for BvS?

Worry about that later. This is a short game not a long game at this point. You gotta stop the BvS bleeding. That would be my priority. They're gonna do fan screenings of SS anyway, so just combine that promotion with this one and you lose nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"