BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the main audience know Goyer is involved. I don't think they even know who Goyer is. And the limited negativity over TDKR still doesn't quite counter the massive lingering positivity from TDK.

I agree that's why I think it will have a small impact. Discounting myself, I only know about three or four people who detested that film as much that they would most likely miss out on a new Batman solo film.

I think the mixed reaction of MOS would have resulted in a hypothetical MOS 2 being skipped by those turned off by the first. WB was smart to make it an event film with Batman. Of all those turned off by the characters/films, I'm sure 80 percent of them withdrew their resentment for excitement for BvS.

I feel comfortable with my 900 million prediction. If Cap moves, I would say it would crack a billion, but at this point, I doubt either film will.

I agree that's why I think it will have a small impact. Discounting myself, I only know about three or four people who detested that film as much that they would most likely miss out on a new Batman solo film.

I think the mixed reaction of MOS would have resulted in a hypothetical MOS 2 being skipped by those turned off by the first. WB was smart to make it an event film with Batman. Of all those turned off by the characters/films, I'm sure 80 percent of them withdrew their resentment for excitement for BvS.
Agreed then.

I feel comfortable with my 900 million prediction. If Cap moves, I would say it would crack a billion, but at this point, I doubt either film will.

And I say the same..it all depends on the release date. This does over 1B if the release dates don't clash (and Cap 3 has a shot at getting there too), less than a billion otherwise.

That's also written by David Goyer and they're both are going to be based off the cynical take from Miller's Dark Knight Return. TDKR's portrayal of Bruce Wayne made me completely dislike the character. I personally wouldn't see a Goyer Batman solo reboot unless it got great reviews and deviated from the last version.

I recognized that it's a small contingent, but that contingent is just as pissed as those who took exception to Supes in Man of Steel. Cap staying put, which I'm leaning towards believing both will, will put the biggest dent though. The mixed reactions to MOS and the previous takes on the characters would be almost minuscule in comparison.

Just because it's written by Goyer (in actuality, Terrio's working on the script based on the frameworks provided by Goyer and Snyder), it doesn't mean that they're continuing Nolan's Batman from TDKR. Hence, TDKR is completely irrelevant. Not to mention, as Iceman said, the casual audience is not going to pick on these details like us. Lastly, there is more than one way to interpret the cynical/old/tired Bruce Wayne, Nolan's was one way, it'd be ridiculous of people to assume that because TDKR didn't execute it well (I disagree, but that's beside the point), that it means Snyder's Batman will suffer the same fate.

Man of steel made like 650 million and avatar like 2.8 billion so i am going to say like half way between those and say 1.7 billon.

900 million. I believe both this and Cap 3 will stay, so that will definitely cut into the bo, although not as much as people would have you believe. Also think a small contingent are going to be discouraged to see this after TDKR and MOS.

The sequel to Man of Steel is not going to be an adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Nolan's TDKR is Not connected to MOS franchise in any way.

How many people disliked Nolan's TDKR and Snyder's MOS ?

Nolan's TDKR made 1.084 mil and MOS made 687 mil, which I think makes them well received movies.

Also think a small contingent are going to be discouraged to see this after TDKR and MOS.

So, a few fans will not see the movie, no problem.

Last edited:
The sequel to Man of Steel is not going to be an adaptation of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Nolan's TDKR is Not connected to MOS franchise in any way.

How many people disliked Nolan's TDKR and Snyder's MOS ?

Nolan's TDKR made 1.084 mil and MOS made 687 mil, which I think makes them well received movies.

So, a few fans will not see the movie, no problem.

I have no idea why you combated my post with this considering I don't disagree with anything you said, never questioned the popularity of these films, and in no way brought up the illusion I'm not familiar with the box office or ties with previous DC film.

900 million. I believe both this and Cap 3 will stay, so that will definitely cut into the bo, although not as much as people would have you believe. Also think a small contingent are going to be discouraged to see this after TDKR and MOS.
People being discouraged? That's like saying 'people were clearly discouraged' by the first(and second) transformers films so I choose to focus on that 'fact' and predict the worst. Yes good luck with that.
TF4 currently predicted as the film this year with the highest(if only) chance to hit a billion. Each installment in the franchise making considerable amounts of money and more importantly, considerably more than the last and all that without being the prequels to some event trilogy. All that in the face of 'fans' shouting they suck, fail and no one likes them.

Secondly I find it all so convenient in light of just how many people 'marvel has discouraged' with their films(prior to cap2/ prior to avengers). Instead of looking at who has been discouraged, perhaps a focus on who has been encouraged would do us some good. Last I checked MOS opened bigger than any other cbms starter, and it went on to (arguably) gross more than any other one save for spidey one and with tons more competition. It's been winning hand fulls of pop culture awards and it's dvd sales are through the roof(particularly relative to it's competition). Just who is encouraged by the prospect of the sequel? I'd argue a hell of a lot more people than there was coming out of the last few Superman films at the very least. All that without even mentioning Batman's return.

Thirdly and into another issue; of the people whom aren't encouraged by these productions, such as yourself, how many of these people(such as yourself) aren't going to watch BvS? Can I assume you aren't?

I can tell you that as let down as I was by avatar, I'm going to be there on the first night to see the sequel! It's one thing for detractors to talk, but there is rarely any follow through in this regard. Event films happen and people who like movies go watch them, it's really that simple.

This reminds of of when people(predicting sites included), threw around sub TDKR numbers and mostly IM2 numbers for Avengers and for various logical reasons. Shame we can't all learn from the past and see what's clearly about to happen here.

Lastly, you must be one of the few people I've encountered that actually thinks both studios would commit to losing that much money. Most people I know see this a game of chicken and the issue is about who will pull out first, not so much a game of whose actually willing to lose more money. I tend to agree with the latter. Guess we'll see.

I said a "small contingent" even calling it "minuscule". I don't understand why people are so touchy about that. Read my other posts besides the one you commented; I'm assuming you didn't considering your putting words in my mouth about people upset with character portrayals not wanting to come back and my stance on personally seeing this film. You sound overly bitter about nothing, and you seemingly ignored all my other points, all mostly positive about the financial reception I expect the film to give.

I'm well aware the majority thinks one of the two films will move. Doesn't mean I have to blindly expect that. I've heard arguments for the other side and it convinced me that's the path I think it will likely end up. Obviously I could be wrong but whatever.

Last edited:
800-1 billion is a lock no matter the quality. But if it's a truly great movie the sky is the limit. If IM3 can make 1.2 billion, this shouldn't have a problem.

If it moves its date, $1 Billion+.

If it stays, $800 million+.

I said a "small contingent" even calling it "minuscule". I don't understand why people are so touchy about that. Read my other posts besides the one you commented; I'm assuming you didn't considering your putting words in my mouth about people upset with character portrayals not wanting to come back and my stance on personally seeing this film. You sound overly bitter about nothing, and you seemingly ignored all my other points, all mostly positive about the financial reception I expect the film to give.

I'm well aware the majority thinks one of the two films will move. Doesn't mean I have to blindly expect that. I've heard arguments for the other side and it convinced me that's the path I think it will likely end up. Obviously I could be wrong but whatever.

I read and responded to your post, didn't know it required prior reading. You said a 'small contingent are going to be discouraged after the prior two wb cbms' I would assume your raised this point because you believe it to be a factor. If you thought the contingent(of people discouraged) was going to be a non factor in it's amount, then you wouldn't have brought it up. So which is it? If you think enough people are going to be discouraged enough not to go, see my prior post addressing this. If you think the amount of people discouraged is so miniscule that it's a non factor(as you seem to be emphasizing now) then sure, we agree.

As for the other posts I've read from you, I should apologize, the only thing I've read from you are the debates in the other threads pertaining to TWS vs TDK and BvS vs Cap3(studio clash). Safe to say they paint a less than impartial picture of your 'stance'.

As for the words I put into your mouth. From what I've read, I assume you are one of the people discouraged by the last two DC movies?
Those tend to be the only people that bring up the point of discouragement. So I ask you now, is that going to stop you from watching BvS?

As for you having to blindly accept anything. I don't think anyone said that. I do see my counter argument, very much analogous to the why avengers did surprising numbers(in spite of all the many people that were 'discouraged by the lead ins and due to the building success), that questions your 'doubts'. It doesn't ask you to blindly believe anything. Just to respond.

As for me being bitter, I assure you I'm not. I tend to get more riled up in the political threads for they tend to matter to, and affect me more. I do see how I could come off that way though.

The film just needs to be good.

That being said, I personally don't understand how many times people will need to see something happen before they learn from it.
-http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3433&p=.htm

-http://www.chicagonow.com/hammervision/2012/04/2012-summer-movie-forecast-boldly-predicting-the-10-biggest-hits/#image/1

-http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/summer-box-office-predictions-avengers-dark-knight-rises-snow-white#11

Last edited:
Great points all around. I remember a big discussion on these forums and elsewhere was about the terrible release schedule of MoS and how WB seems to always release their tentbole blockbusters too late in the summer. That first weekend in May release date has been shown to be perfect for CBMs since the original Spiderman did it back in 2002 and busted records.

WB finally learned their lesson with BvS in 2016 but Marvel already claimed the spot, and most likely WB will be forced to move. So now the trick is to find whether they should move it up to April (Cap 2 proving releasing in early April is a viable strategy) or whether to move it back to further into the summer (maybe mid-May, but I think that date is already claimed by Fox for Age of Apocalypse).

The summer blockbuster season usually runs from the month of May through July. If your film is considered a tent pole, then late June is when you want to release it since school is out and you have the attention of your largest movie going demographic in America (young adults aged 12 to 24). The reason why April and May releases have worked well for the Marvel films is mostly because of hype. Notice how they release these films internationally before they do domestically. When OW hits, the media reports that the film has already made half is production budget back. This hype leaves the suggestion peoples minds at the film is doing pretty well and then feeds on to the interest of the domestic movie goers . This sensation is what makes it sell well, but what's actually happening is that they are collecting big international box office up front. In the long run what you wind up seeing the film not nesssarily making a lot of money every time.

The highest it can ever go is 2 billion but it has to be "OH MY GOD ITS FINALLY HERE BATMAN AND SUPERMAN WITH WONDER WOMAN SNYDER AND GOYER R AMAZING IM GONNA FREAK OUT" amazing. If the movie doesnt move from cap 3's date it will make 800mil+ but if it moves up one week or two weeks probably 1.5billion to 2 billion

#HavefaithinSnyder

Without knowing much about it, save for the cast, 800 mill minimum.

I agree..if u didnt like mos u prolly wont like b vs s. However, the script should be better so who knows

$800 mil just in the midnight showings on OPENING NIGHT!:wow:

I bet on a billion. It's Superman vs Batman, if it's lucky it could even do Avengers numbers.

A very premature thread... This is where the inner fanboy in me takes over and predicts a billion because it's Batman and Superman. However, I'll wait for the first trailer at least to see the tone of the movie.

A very premature thread... This is where the inner fanboy in me takes over and predicts a billion because it's Batman and Superman. However, I'll wait for the first trailer at least to see the tone of the movie.

I believe you will see some actual footage next year like dc always do
Now
But I'm hoping they stick a wonder woman film in between which I really think wb/dc is doing
It would make more sense

I don't see how you need an inner fanboy to take over in order to predict Superman vs Batman doing one million, sounds very reasonable, i still remember many stating how The Avengers would make Iron Man numbers and that it doing more than The Dark Knight Rises was a foolish prediction, lol.

This movie is going to be marketed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. If anything those opening weekend numbers are going to be monumental. Potentially avengers numbers big.

Good point. The reactions to the first trailer will let Marvel/Disney thinking deeply about the release date.

So apparently a Disney chairman has hinted at Cap 3 being the one to move from that May date. I didn't expect Marvel to be the one to crack first but it would probably make the most sense.

Cap 2 proved early April release date can work, so why not just put Cap 3 there too? That would give BvS the ability to kick off the summer movie season on its' own, which I think is huge.

I believe you will see some actual footage next year like dc always do
Now
But I'm hoping they stick a wonder woman film in between which I really think wb/dc is doing
It would make more sense

Damn near impossible at this point. The wheels would already have to be in motion.

Damn near impossible at this point. The wheels would already have to be in motion.
But who's to sat their not
if dc/wb start filming wonder woman along with BvS it definitely can make an late 2015 or early 2016
or late 2016 don't forget wonder woman will be a film that only need to be a bout 90mins or a little bit more it can help explain her origin for bvs and let batman make a last scene appearance it really would have the potential to make at the least 370-400 mil ww which I believe it would make that plus more even if it scores a 40-50% rt
But I think a wonder woman movie would have a decent o.s gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"