BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Godzilla's possible huge opening was pretty obvious given the marketing and hype created for the film. Not to mention, Godzilla is still decently popular.

Given the trend for ASM2, if BvS is a great film...there's no doubt it'll break a billion. However, if it's underwhelming, the max might be 700-850mil.

The point was that any film can do big numbers based on circumstance.
As of last year I personally wouldn't have thought the Godzilla brand bigger than the avengers solo's. Yet here we are.

I wouldn't have thought Godzilla to be big either, it's been years since his last american outing, which was a bomb. The hype was largely without the money shots and I doubt many in the 18-35 demo outside of hardcore fans have seen and enjoyed the old toho series. Pacific Rim underperformed...yet i guess the brand name still means something to people, and funnily enough i guess that less is more marketing really intrigued people.

EDIT: as for this film? It's Batman and it's in 3D. Billion easy.

Godzilla '98 wasn't really a box office bomb, it just failed to meet sky-high expectations. It actually had a near-record opening weekend. Scott Mendelson from Forbes makes the argument that by today's standard's, Emmerich's Godzilla would be considered a hit.

Personally, I don't really get everyone's hate for that movie. It's not great, but it's still perfectly enjoyable entertainment in my view. We're talking about a franchise built around a giant lizard stomping on things. This stuff isn't Shakespeare.

You do realize the "bad" movies are more of an outlier? It doesn't mean that bad movies are always going to make money. Otherwise, we'd be seeing a lot of 850+mil bad blockbusters.

Because I quite obviously said a bad movie = 850 million at the box office. :whatever:

My Prediction This if the movie as good as we all hope it's going to be.

Opening Weekend: 215 Million
Domestic BO: 715 Million
Foreign BO: 1.1 billion
World BO: 1.815 Billion

Good prediction. Similar to mine of 230 million o.w./2.2 billion w.w., but yours is probably more realistic.

Honestly, some of you are overestimating this movie beyond belief. In fact it borders on parody.

The fact that there is a thread for this topic already borders on the highest levels of ridiculousness.

Neither side, whether you're saying this movie will flop or be a massive smash, has anything to base it on. We hardly have any information outside of casting & a few pics. Speculating without enough information is more than pointless, imo.

The fact that the movie is two years away and filming hasn't even really begun anything in the way of filming yet further adds to my point.

this movie wont get more then one billion overall at box-office

Godzilla '98 wasn't really a box office bomb, it just failed to meet sky-high expectations. It actually had a near-record opening weekend. Scott Mendelson from Forbes makes the argument that by today's standard's, Emmerich's Godzilla would be considered a hit.

Personally, I don't really get everyone's hate for that movie. It's not great, but it's still perfectly enjoyable entertainment in my view. We're talking about a franchise built around a giant lizard stomping on things. This stuff isn't Shakespeare.

It's not a bad monster movie, but it's just not a godzilla movie...at all, it COULD be Shakespeare and it would still be Godzilla in name only, it would be like if Batman wore the bob kane birdman suit, and didn't have a batmobile and used a gun to kill people, and you still slapped on the title Batman on it.

Honestly, some of you are overestimating this movie beyond belief. In fact it borders on parody.

You aren't wrong, but then again they said the exact same thing before TDK came out.

2.2 billion? Lol.

The novelty of the crossover is no longer there unfortunately. So this film just isn't going to have that. Nor is it part of a continuous franchise.

Had Reeves and Keaton did a film in 93 or so, that would have been Titanic esque. Or had SR been huge and Bale and Routh hooked up after trilogies, you would have had an Avengers effect.

People just won't care for this all that much. These characters have been overexposed beyond belief. It's not an original concept anymore, and the movie will more than likely follow some formulaic trajectory that people have come to expect in the genre.

They should have done MoS 2 first, or MoS should have been better. I don't think Cavil has the following he needs to carry his end. Affleck has baggage, but he's the only guy that could follow Bale who fits the role. I think the movie has things working for it that can push it to 1.2 or 1.3 billion in a perfect scenario, but 2 billion? Only if it is Best Picture caliber, which it won't be, being overstuffed with Justice League setups.

Last edited:
this movie wont get more then one billion overall at box-office

There's really no guarantee it'll even make a billion dollars. Not to sound negative but everyone seems to believe that EVERY superhero movie will make a billion dollars.

The way people talk about it makes it seem as if it's a small feat when it's not. For any movie to gross that much, let alone $1.8 billion, it has to have phenomenal legs & be something worthy of acquiring that much cash.

Again, for people to overestimate so greatly when we're still in the beginning stages is very crazy. Even if it is Superman & Batman.

I could be wrong but I really don't believe the rumors about more than one film being made. I think they're just filming BvS. The only other reason I can think of why they're waiting is because Warner doesn't know where else they can place this film. Summer 2015 is now off the table, and Fall/Winter 2015 looks to be packed too with Bond, Hunger Games and Star Wars. They're not gonna release it in Jan-March of 2016, so I guess they figure they have to hold it until May. That's the only logic I can think of.

I can see them either moving it up one month in April if Marvel refuses to move. OR if Star Wars gets delayed, which could be very possible, maybe they'll move it to Dec 2015. I personally feel the Dec. slot would be soo perfect for this movie. It would CLEAN UP and basically have the Holiday season all to itself. Either way, if everything goes on schedule, the film will be finished and ready to go by this time next year.

Exactly. WB delayed HP6 like 6 months just to have a July movie, once JL:M fell through.

But then again, there is precedent for extending productions. WB decided to split both Potter and Hobbit into an extra film so it's not like they wouldn't revert to something like that. Could we be looking at Justice league itself as a two parter potentially, for 2019 and 2020? I know Batfleck would like to film close to BvS so I am still thinking 2017 is more likely, but maybe he and Snyder aren't completely committed to that as of yet. Not too keen on releasing Justice League the same year as Avengers 3 either. You want a full season to market with no other crazy competition in the mix.

Personally, I would hold off on Justice League until 2019. Do some expanded universe stuff in the mean time like Manhunter/GL reboot as an equivalent to Marvel's GotG. Anything that can support an entire sub-universe along with crossing over with Earth, which both those properties do. In reality, I think Justice League will be filmed soon after BvS and be out July 2017. They could give Affleck and Snyder off the entire Holiday 2015/2016 season before gearing up for Justice League early 2016.

Because I quite obviously said a bad movie = 850 million at the box office. :whatever:

If you're going to be pedantic, at least know that I've said "+" beside 850mil, which is what you originally argued (that there were bad movies that have made more than 850mil).

You can't predict an 'Avatar' ... 'Titanic' ... or even an 'Avengers' ... or 'Frozen' which will jump into the all time top 5 worldwide next week.

Batman vs. Superman is following a near 700 million dollar Man of Steel. With a few years of likely inflation, plus the first time meeting of The Dark Knight & Man of Steel (not to mention Wonder Woman) it will see a solid bump, but to talk about #s WAY higher than 1-1.2 billion at this point is WAY too early. The international market for the Batman & Superman series seem to be smaller right now than Marvel. TDK did under 500 million overseas ... TDKR only did 640 million ... Man of Steel did 380 million. Sure this film could change that, but the #s are what they are. I don't expect it to suddenly do 1 billion + overseas. 3D will help somewhat, but not to that extent IMO.

Prediction 2 years out and will likely change dramatically if it warrants.

OW: 180
DOMESTIC: 450
OVERSEAS: 675
WORLDWIDE: 1.125 BILLION

Right now, the lowest I can see it going is something like 350/500 for 850 million, because it's still Batman ... and Superman.

Last edited:
After 10 years we can say that Superman and Batman are again two Triple-A franchises at Hollywood. Of course we have to check the appeal of the new Batman, but if we think that 8 years ago Batman and Superman combined were not able to generate the box office numbers of a Spiderman movie and now it's sure that TASM2 will do far less than The Man of Steel...yes something's definetely changed.

After 10 years we can say that Superman and Batman are again two Triple-A franchises at Hollywood. Of course we have to check the appeal of the new Batman, but if we think that 8 years ago Batman and Superman combined were not able to generate the box office numbers of a Spiderman movie and now it's sure that TASM2 will do far less than The Man of Steel...yes something's definetely changed.

TASM2's middling box-office (in comparison to how much Sony spent on it) is more due to the film's quality and over saturation of the Spider-Man franchise in general. The reboot had a lukewarm reception, while the follow-up just didn't deliver (most of the action was shown in the trailers).

If WB moves this film to April, and it makes a high May or July o.w. weekend number (excess of $150M+), I can imagine a headline saying "No April Fool's Joke: 'Batman vs. Superman' breaks opening weekend record."

When it comes to box office prediction for Batman vs. Superman its hard to say because the market is constantly changing and there is an awful lot of unknowns. I think if it has great word of mouth and positive press from fans and critics upwards of $750 million.

There is no way on Gods green earth that this movie doesn't at least make a billion. The issue after that will be word of mouth. Great word of mouth box office records, poor word of mouth financial success.

This is the first time you ever see the trinity in a live action movie together... telling you it's going to make a lot of money and will be an event... Opening weekend for this movie will be insane. Everyone will be out to see this movie.

I hate to tell some of you this that inspite of the greater returns with 3D box office a billion dollars is still a difficult number to reach. Anyone who thinks this film is a lock for a billion just based on the film's concept alone really needs to think long and hard about that projection, because ultimately what looks good on paper doesn't always translate into a quality film. Anyone predicting a billion now isn't doing it with any sense of logic, just fan desire to reach that number.

Predictions will become more concrete after the first trailer.
Nevertheless aftter the first pictures from the set, I see optimism around the web.

Predictions will become more concrete after the first trailer.
Nevertheless aftter the first pictures from the set, I see optimism around the web.

Agreed. I want to lean to the side of optimism, it's just too early to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"