Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns...

BatmanBegins05

Civilian
Reaction score
So, Batman Begins draws a lot of inspiration from Batman: Year One. And Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice obviously draws a lot of visual inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns. There's been an animated movie based on Year One, and an animated movie based on The Dark Knight Returns. I don't expect Matt Reeves to draw a lot of inspiration from these two graphic novels, do you expect that?

I could see maybe some elements of BYO being used but I don't think it'd be a major influence.

By all accounts and this is purely my speculation, given we know very little concerning the story forming the basis of Reeve's film, but if I was to speculate, it may draw from The Long Halloween, more than most and certainly not either of those you mention. We may see the odd flashback to earlier days of Bruce's training but he'll be in year 2/3 by the main structure of the story I reckon.

Given we seem to be getting a full-on rogues gallery rather than focus on two-three villains, I'd suspect something akin to AA with the mechanics being something tricking him into a no-win scenario which he has to solve.

By all accounts and this is purely my speculation, given we know very little concerning the story forming the basis of Reeve's film, but if I was to speculate, it may draw from The Long Halloween, more than most and certainly not either of those you mention. We may see the odd flashback to earlier days of Bruce's training but he'll be in year 2/3 by the main structure of the story I reckon.

Given we seem to be getting a full-on rogues gallery rather than focus on two-three villains, I'd suspect something akin to AA with the mechanics being something tricking him into a no-win scenario which he has to solve.

I've heard Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight drew inspiration from The Long Halloween, but also The Killing Joke.

Hopefully not. Both stories are great, but they need to be left alone now. I've seen enough 'Miller influence' to last a lifetime.

Maybe, they should draw inspiration from Tom Kings' Batman. Because I've heard Tom Kings' Batman is good.

I've heard Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight drew inspiration from The Long Halloween, but also The Killing Joke.

For Nolan, the Dent story aspects drew from TLH and to a degree, the narrative and dialogue from TKJ, but Burton drew more closely from TKJ in terms of the formation & context of Nicholson's iteration.

If Reeves is going to detective route than the big players would be The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Hush.

IMO those are the two greatest Batman stories of all time. Year one is so grounded and human, whereas Returns seamlessly integrates the mundane with the fantastic.

IMO these books + Elektra Assassin are Miller's greatest works.

We got very different versions of Year One & TDKReturns in live-action. If Matt Reeves wants to do Year One, there's certainly a ton that's barely been mined especially with regard to Gordon. You also get to establish Selina in a manner that hasn't been attempted outside of the cartoon flick.

Nolan took from plenty of Batman stories when making the TDKT, such as Year One, The Man Who Falls, Tales of the Demon, Birth of the Demon, The Long Halloween, Dark victory, The Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, The Cult, Knightfall, No Mans Land, among others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"