Battle Angel

vzURLSs.jpg

I figured they did something but couldn't quite place it.

I wish he explained why the **** they made them big and cartoonish in the first place. When everyone else has realistic human proportions.

The eyes are still visually off putting. We saw the trailer for this before Aquaman and my boyfriend was immediately, "what's up with her eyes?" and I explained that it's how she looks in the Anime and he pointed out that's how EVERYONE looks in Anime so why do the other characters look normal.

I see they're saying it's because she's a cyborg... but I'm not sure why an inventor would construct her with ginormous eyes. It just makes her look a bit odd.

This will be one of those movies I'll see if the reception here is decent. The trailer alone hasn't pulled me in.

Last edited:
I find the “uncanny valley” effect is more pronounced when there’s an obvious - but unsuccessful - attempt at deception. E.g., the Japanese robot who’s supposed to look like a real person (but doesn’t). Or Grand Moff Tarkin who’s supposed to look like a younger Peter Cushing (but likewise falls short of the real thing); etc. Alita, on the other hand, is clearly a cyborg. So for me, her big eyes are much the same as Spock’s pointy ears: fantasy embellishment. :shrug:

She still sticks out as being video game character, especially in the group poster.

The eyes are still visually off putting. We saw the trailer for this before Aquaman and my boyfriend was immediately, "what's up with her eyes?" and I explained that it's how she looks in the Anime and he pointed out that's how EVERYONE looks in Anime so why do the other characters look normal.

I see they're saying it's because she's a cyborg... but I'm not sure why an inventor would construct her with ginormous eyes. It just makes her look a bit odd.

This will be one of those movies I'll see if the reception here is decent. The trailer alone hasn't pulled me in.
There is zero logic to the eyes. If they wanted to do that with everyone, fine. It would still look like crap, as the eyes are so obviously CGI (not because they are unreal looking, but because they are glossy as hell), you can at least call it a stylistic choice. But her being the only one with them, draws your attention to how odd and fake they look.

There is zero logic to the eyes.
She's a doll or what's his face thought she was some sort of doll based on her features, thus gave her a porcelain body to match.
If that's not the reason Rob Rod went with, that's the subconscious takeaway.

She's a doll or what's his face thought she was some sort of doll based on her features, thus gave her a porcelain body to match.
If that's not the reason Rob Rod went with, that's the subconscious takeaway.
Thank you for affirming there is zero logic to this.

Thank you for affirming there is zero logic to this.
it's also in the name - Battle Angel Alita
all the other times you see big eyes in anime/manga/Disney...
hell Ready Player One & Avatar, the logic is simply we're trying to get the audience to think the design is cute

it's also in the name - Battle Angel Alita
all the other times you see big eyes in anime/manga/Disney...
hell Ready Player One & Avatar, the logic is simply we're trying to get the audience to think the design is cute
Well it isn't cute, nor is there any indication that in the movie it is considered so. She is an outcast from what the trailers indicate. Considering the general reaction to the film and the character's look, it is having the exact opposite effect. And in those very examples you gave, the matching designs all have the odd eyes. She is running around normal humans and other cyborgs/androids, and is the only one who has eyes that make her look the way she does, which are not done well. In Frozen Elsa doesn't have giant eyes, while Anna doesn't.

Well it isn't cute, nor is there any indication that in the movie it is considered so. She is an outcast from what the trailers indicate. Considering the general reaction to the film and the character's look, it is having the exact opposite effect. And in those very examples you gave, the matching designs all have the odd eyes. She is running around normal humans and other cyborgs/androids, and is the only one who has eyes that make her look the way she does, which are not done well. In Frozen Elsa doesn't have giant eyes, while Anna doesn't.
The literal concept of this is that everyone sees a cute looking robot and suspects nothing else.
All the other examples in fiction, this big eye look is supposed to be that homogeneous.
She's an outcast for being babied by Christoph Waltz's character and for being so different compared to all these other cyborgs.
She figures she's some sort of killing machine and wants to pursue that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"