Battle Angel

I don't think Cameron cares if this fails box office wise or not. It's been rolling around in his brain since the same decade the damn manga came out and he finally got to see it done. He's on his Avatar kick now anyways.

The movie itself was decent enough. The cliches I overlook because they're the same cliches the manga had and nowadays those things are pretty much used in every YA movie ever.

I mean Cameron ultimately passed the project onto someone else. So it basically morphed into Robert Rodriguez's movie after he did the early work on it.

Also, this material was always a bit of a hard sell.

Real shame about the movies BO, but surprising at the same time. Liked this more than a lot of the recent BO smashes though.

Without Cameron directing, I never expected this to do huge money.

I really enjoyed the film. Shame it's not making more money, there were good amount of people in my showing though. I would like to see this get a sequel.

One thing I noticed was how consistent the cg was on Alita. Maybe like two or three times she looked obviously fake but mostly she may as well have been an actual person interacting with them.

One thing I noticed was how consistent the cg was on Alita. Maybe like two or three times she looked obviously fake but mostly she may as well have been an actual person interacting with them.

I agree. It looked a lot better than I initially feared.

Also, I think the CG for the other cyborgs looked really good, like Zapan and the rest.

It's been decades since I saw the anime, I think I confused Zapan with a character called Gime. The movie may have merged Gime into aspects of Zapan or at least his interaction with Hugo. I was wondering why Zapan didn't havd a hat. lol

latest

Thats one of problems in the film. They made an effort to make Alita look "anime" with the big eyes but the rest don't look very similar to their anime look.

There's a reason if you see the flashbscks.

Thats one of problems in the film. They made an effort to make Alita look "anime" with the big eyes but the rest don't look very similar to their anime look.

A lot of characters did get changed around from the source material. Grewishka is basically adapted from Makaku in the manga and Grewcica from the OVA.

They reference a bit of Makaku's backstory from the manga for Grewishka, which is actually very fascinating, wish we could've seen it more.

Now I admit, I would've preferred just going for a photo-realistic head for Alita instead of the look they went with, like the other cyborgs, but whatever.

Enjoyable movie. Action/fight scenes were top notch! I dislike it when protagonists win most of their fights unscathed, but this movie is the exception - the fights are superb and it makes sense on why she slays easily. Alita the character is great and likable. Wish they did more with Jennifer Connelly's character. Hope to see a sequel.

Edit: No annoying shaky cam, and fast edits; you can easily follow the action/fight scenes.

Last edited:
I saw this last night. I liked it but I can also see why it is struggling. There are a few unanswered questions all lined up for a sequel that will likely never happen. It's disappointing because despite the missteps this could have been a good franchise.

Just watched and I must say....WOW! I really loved it! Action was some of the best I've seen in a long time. Alita's CGI took some getting used to but overall it wasn't too distracting. My wife and kids loved it, especially my daughter. My only complaint is Hugo. His story arc and his acting drug down almost every scene.

Wish Vector & Cherin didn't die. Acting power could've done so much more in later movies.
I hope it makes enough for a sequel. Judging by turnout at my theater today, it might be cutting it close.........

Overall 8.5/10

I saw this last night. I liked it but I can also see why it is struggling. There are a few unanswered questions all lined up for a sequel that will likely never happen. It's disappointing because despite the missteps this could have been a good franchise.

The Desty Nova material was poorly written and handled. We did not need all that for a first movie. Also a lot of the Nova material made no sense.

The Desty Nova material was poorly written and handled. We did not need all that for a first movie. Also a lot of the Nova material made no sense.

This was also one of my complaints. They could've kept Nova completely out of the movie. Him and that god awful Hugo.

It opens in both countries next Friday according to IMDb

Cool, thanks

Having rewatched it a couple days ago, my favorite scene has to be the bar fight and the fight with Grewishka.

Yeah I loved all of the action scenes but they were the highlights definitely. In the Grewishka fight it was quite shocking to Alita vulnerable for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"