Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament(2020 Edition)

Superman 2.

but I will make a hot take here and say that this is probably the one of the most disturbing scenes in Superman movie history (aside from the Knightmare sequence that I’ve been trying to unsee for years now)

FA821004-8BBF-495A-9BA7-E843A9F10205.jpeg

TMNT advances. Next match is

Battle of the Michelle Pfeiffer Films

Batman Returns
batman-returns-1sh-movie-poster-1992-michelle-pfeiffer-tim-burton.jpg

VS

Ant-man and The Wasp
MV5BYjcyYTk0N2YtMzc4ZC00Y2E0LWFkNDgtNjE1MzZmMGE1YjY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Batman Returns easily.

Oh, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the inspiration came from. And
Raimi took it to the next level.
It was actually an adaptation of Amazing Spider-Man #50 in which Peter gives up the mantle. The scene in which he lives the suit in the trashcan and walks away is lifted directly from that cover. I rewatched Spider-Man 2 this week and it remains my favorite Spider-Man film. In the previous tournaments I held it made it to the finals and then semis. It'll be interesting how it performs now. It is a Raimi film in the same way those Superman films were Donner films and as mentioned earlier, those Batman films were Burtonesque. With the MCU we've missed some of that individuality in superhero cinema, so I'm excited to see how this tournament will play out.

First Class. I'd take it over the first Kingsman too. I never really could get behind any of the characters in Kingsman. First Class is my favorite X-Men movie.

I really enjoy both movies, but I got to give it to First Class as well. Fassbender and McAvoy are just on fire throughout that whole movie with how great their chemistry was. I don't dislike Golden Circle as much as most people do though.

They both have pretty big flaws (some which mark a bit of a concerning trend with Vaughn's directing) but at least First Class was a coherent movie. Golden Circle was only worth Pedro Pascal's (largely wasted) charm and an iconic Elton John performance.

FIRST CLASS
It was actually an adaptation of Amazing Spider-Man #50 in which Peter gives up the mantle. The scene in which he lives the suit in the trashcan and walks away is lifted directly from that cover.
Actually, the cover is Spider-Man showing his back in the background and Peter is walking away from him in the foreground. That shot is an interior.

First Class. I'd take it over the first Kingsman too. I never really could get behind any of the characters in Kingsman. First Class is my favorite X-Men movie.
I did not want to sit through the first movie, thought it would suck.

I'm going with Kingsman. It's my second favorite Vaughan film behind Kick ash.
What do you think of the Kingsmen sequel? It's the one in this match.

First Class

Vaughn knocked it out of the park with that film. Wish we could have gotten another X-Men film from him.

Last edited:
I loved First Class. I’m fact it is not only far and away my favorite X Men movie, it’s also one of my favorite comic book movies. The acting was superb, especially from Fassenbender. The “Frankenstein’s Monster” scene is chilling and one of the best examples of building tension in film. (“What were your parents’ names?” “They didn’t have names. Their names were taken from them by pig farmers. And tailors.”) Also, Kevin Bacon is criminally underrated as a villain.

What do you think of the Kingsmen sequel? It's the one in this match.

Well now that I realized it was Golden Circle :funny: I liked it. They expanded the world and Eggsy's story in a way that I liked. Not as good as the first but I enjoy the world and characters where it's enough that I was entertained.

I am very much looking forward to the third though.

Ooh, finally a difficult choice!

d53t2cw-6edebb9d-dec0-4ce2-be2c-8e97c2c660d8.gif

I'm gonna go with MIB3. Josh Brolin is perfection as young TLJ, and Jemaine Clement is incredibly fun as Boris. Basically, if you can get Jemaine as your villain, then GET JEMAINE AS YOUR VILLAIN. Guardians was a fun romp that I enjoyed more before I read the comics. But Gunn's brand of humor isn't my cup of tea, and if we're comparing villains, well, there's no contest between Boris the Animal and the hot mess they made of Ronan, one of my favorite cosmic Marvel characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"