Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament(2020 Edition)

I'm going with Joker, because it's less overhyped than Endgame, and there wasn't really anything in Joker that I had a problem with.

Both films are worthy of being the champion of this tournament. But alas, only one can move on...

Avengers Endgame get my vote. That last battle, with all the portals opening up, and Cap finally saying "Avengers Assemble" is a movie going experience I'll never forget.

I don't know man. The Reader gets a nod over The Dark Knight and Logan is not worthy of a nom in it's year. I resent Joker a little..

Joker gets too much credit for doing the type of thing the source martial has not been shy about for decades. Then you're supposed to kiss its ass extra special because it's doing the Nightcrawler,Taxi Driver, King of Comedy thing. It can't be just be seen as good. It's extra special super awesome because it's got a version of The Joker as the main character which gave it the opportunity to make a ton of money if it was good.

Good for it.

Endgame is a very good blockbuster and my favorite movie with Avengers in the title. Civil War is the best big crossover though.

I like knocking Joker down a peg so Endgame gets the vote.

Still like both films though..

Wow. I didn't really go for Joker, but that's some harsh criticism. I have to give Phoenix credit for the performance and the weight loss - for me it's just not a take on the character that I liked.

I realise this has been done to death but I vastly preferred Nolan's approach, that we didn't need to know his backstory and he was more of a force of chaos than a person - plus, he was cruel in a less overt and flamboyant way than the comics, where the Joker does nasty stuff to people on purpose and cackles about it - in TDK he made some very cruel moves, deliberately misleading Batman, so he would save Dent, not Rachel, disguising the hostages as henchmen, so the cop snipers would kill them - but without the usual fanfare and cackling.

IMHO We don't need to know his backstory or his raison d'etre. The failed comedian thing is straight out of Killing Joke, so not original.

Anyway, I can understand why others revere the film, but it wasn't for me.

Wow. I didn't really go for Joker, but that's some harsh criticism. I have to give Phoenix credit for the performance and the weight loss - for me it's just not a take on the character that I liked.

I realise this has been done to death but I vastly preferred Nolan's approach, that we didn't need to know his backstory and he was more of a force of chaos than a person - plus, he was cruel in a less overt and flamboyant way than the comics, where the Joker does nasty stuff to people on purpose and cackles about it - in TDK he made some very cruel moves, deliberately misleading Batman, so he would save Dent, not Rachel, disguising the hostages as henchmen, so the cop snipers would kill them - but without the usual fanfare and cackling.

IMHO We don't need to know his backstory or his raison d'etre. The failed comedian thing is straight out of Killing Joke, so not original.

Anyway, I can understand why others revere the film, but it wasn't for me.
It's not the film so much as the general perception of it. It's still good in my opinion.

It's executed well. It's just the same nonsense I used to believe about Nolan elevating the material as if it's not brilliant in it's own right at times.

i don't see why people always have to complain yet a pass is given to popcorn flicks like Shazam
I can see why this might be someone’s perspective, but I find Shazam to be a whole lot more than just a popcorn flick. The whole foster and adoption subtext cannot be discounted. One of my sons, who has experienced abandonment and is adopted, was deeply impacted by Shazam and was brought to tears. I’d say that although it was at times a silly movie, it had a lot to say.

Dude, I must respectfully disagree on Civil War - to me possibly the best MCU film. But fortunately this forum is big enough for both of our points of view.

Cheers.
Lol. I know. Everyone loves Civil War except for me. I’m the odd one.
I just have a thing where I get extremely irritated with movies where I perceive the characters are making a string of dumb decisions. Civil War falls in that category with the lack of communication between the characters. It was almost as bad as the dumb decisions made during Infinity War.

Avengers: Endgame advances.

Battle of the Iconic Sequels

Superman II
Christopher+Reeve+and+Lois+Lane+in+Superman+2+(1980).jpg

VS

Spider-Man 2
7d06d7556d724cabb67381c9d9cae60e.jpg

I enjoy Superman 2, but Spider-Man 2 gets the vote from me. Both are top notch sequels though and much better than their third films.

Having just recently rewatched the Sam Raimi trilogy, Spider-Man 2 still holds up very well! By far the best of that trilogy, and better than Superman 2.

Superman 2 is pretty good, has a great villain and might still be considered a classic but it suffers a lot from Donner's departure and Lester's more campy and somewhat inconsistent tone. Spider-Man 2 is better in pretty much every way, even though it borrows the plot and themes from the former.

I would rather watch several of the movies that use elements from the Reeve Superman films than actually watch the films themselves.

I'm glad I watched them but the emotional response is not there enough for me. They're still my Dad's movies and I feel no real ownership. I have older films I do really love so it's not that.

I just feel alienated watching the films for whatever reason. I don't really think I'm ever going to see a movie that does it for me with Superman.

Spider.Man 2 is something I have affection for, not just appreciation of, and a sense of obligation to.

Spider-Man. 2.

I can see why this might be someone’s perspective, but I find Shazam to be a whole lot more than just a popcorn flick. The whole foster and adoption subtext cannot be discounted. One of my sons, who has experienced abandonment and is adopted, was deeply impacted by Shazam and was brought to tears. I’d say that although it was at times a silly movie, it had a lot to say.

I give a 7 to Shazam, it's great fun and a good movie but not anything else.

Lol. I know. Everyone loves Civil War except for me. I’m the odd one.
I just have a thing where I get extremely irritated with movies where I perceive the characters are making a string of dumb decisions. Civil War falls in that category with the lack of communication between the characters. It was almost as bad as the dumb decisions made during Infinity War.

CW is amazing and everything is logical. Zemo's plan require suspension of belief and the fact like TDK Joker, his plan didn't exactly go how he planned and he adapted to it, there's no plot hole or dumb situation IMO.

Voting for Superman II, anyways SM2 will forever remain the most overrated film of all time (Alongside Logan and 2001 A Space Odyssey), with flaws and cheesy stuff that none ever wants to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"