Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament(2020 Edition)

Adamantium bullet blowing the head of a clone fresh with good healing factor aside, I think LOGAN is the more pleasant movie to watch of these two. I like Deadpool in comics, but I'm not fond of his film.

Thats difficult for me, both have there pros and cons.. I think I go with Deadpool by a hair because I dont like various points on Logans plot besides the extrem good acting of Jackman and Stewart.

Dude, that match was decided quite some time ago. Now it's Logan vs Deadpool.
Oh right haha. It showed up as the current battle for me when I logged in before.

Re Logan vs Deadpool, I probably have it much closer than most as I really love Deadpool. It’s a one of a kind film that I can rewatch endlessly. I don’t particularly like Deadpool 2 though so it might be a one off where everything just happened to align. Still it’s very hard to vote against Logan. One of the best films within CBMs, even if it isn’t all that comic-booky (which makes it easier to get taken seriously IMO).

Official vote: Logan

I have a question for @venom892... if my counting is correct, this round has an odd number of movies. What happens to that odd movie out? Automatically advance? Automatically eliminated? A 3 movie battle?

In all honesty, I think a Logan v Dark Knight final is likely. It isn't just the best X film, IMO possibly the best cbm straight up.

The first time I saw Logan , I was stunned - I couldn't see it again for a year. It is something very special IMO, the performances( everyone brought their A game, even the girl, she was terrifying), the brutal action, and the bleak story all combine to make a really gut wrenching watch.

I haven't always been a fan of Jackman's Wolverine. Often he's been a grumpy, bitter and somewhat self pitying character- I mean in one of his films ( the Wolverine) he's mad because he doesn't age, can't get sick and can't die ? I mean really? Having lost friends and family to cancer and having a step brother whose quadriplegic, you can't complain about that - everyone loses people along life' s journey, that doesn't make Wolverine special.

But, in Logan he's finally facing mortality in a prolonged and painful way - he's utterly broken and ruined but still trying to do the right thing. Finally I feel some sympathy for him.

Anyway, Deadpool was funny and a bit meta, but otherwise it doesn't hold up to Logan IMO.

Logan isn't better than The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Begins or V For Vendetta IMO.

I watch these 1 time a year but the latter is a bit slow and depressing for my liking taste. And also, Wolverine was better in X2 imo.

I watch these 1 time a year but the latter is a bit slow and depressing for my liking taste. And also, Wolverine was better in X2 imo.

giphy.gif

Logan is not only the best X-Men movie, but IMO one of the best films of all time. It transcends the comic book genre. There's only one thing stopping Logan from being a perfect movie... I wish instead of X24, It was Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. That is all.

As for Deadpool...

ee86817fc8ac0add90ccdf364713fa9f.gif

Did this vote split your identity in two?

Logan. As others have said, the only disappointment for me was not bringing back Liev Schrieber. Using him instead of the generic clone could have pushed it up and over to be the best CBM ever. But even as is, it's very strongly top tier.

The whole idea of transcending the genre is a lie, that people say so it's okay for people outside the fanbase to validate something and say it's exceptional and give it awards.

The medium contains so many different things if you look, and people know this. Why do fans submit to the perception of other people and talk of transcendence? The Dark Knight is the genre. Logan is the genre. Joker is the genre just as much as the MCU is.

Stop BSing so it's okay to say something deserves acclaim. We have had so many stories deconstruct and otherwise play with general convention that how is that not a staple of the medium itself?

Regardless of the box we put around characters due to personal preference and the mystical "core" of a character that not everyone is going to agree on. This genre is so many things.

But I can be a fan and say don't do this thing or you must do this thing and so can you.

Don't job the DC Trinity though.... because.....fan.

Last edited:
The whole idea of transcending the genre is a lie, that people say so it's okay for people outside the fanbase to validate something and say it's exceptional and give it awards.

The medium contains so many different things if you look, and people know this. Why do fans submit to the perception of other people and talk of transcendence? The Dark Knight is the genre. Logan is the genre. Joker is the genre just as much as the MCU is.

Stop BSing so it's okay to say something deserves acclaim. We have had so many stories deconstruct and otherwise play with general convention that how is that not a staple of the medium itself?

Regardless of the box we put around characters due to personal preference and the mystical "core" character that ot everyone is going to agree on. This genre is so many things.

But I can be a fan and say don't do this thing or you must do this thing and so can you.

Don't job the DC Trinity though.... because.....fan.

That's the most incoherent mumbo jumbo I've heard in along time. I've had several people, all of whom hate comic book movies, say they consider Logan an exceptional film, and view it more as an old-time western than a comic book/superhero movie. You cant get more transcending than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the most incoherent mumbo jumbo I've heard in along time. I've had several people, all of whom hate comic book movies, say they consider Logan an exceptional film, and view it more as an old-time western than a comic book/superhero movie. You cant get more transcending than that.
It's a shame you see it that way.

I don't know it seems to discount flexibility of the genre.

But if a tree falls in the forest and all that. I mean the films' tropes are an extension of the tropes of the books. Seems to discount work done with these characters but films ARE much bigger than anything else..so yeah I get it.

Perception is reality and all that.

Yeah, I always liked Wolverine more in that movie. And in DOFP.

Did he give a great performance in Logan? Sure, but the movie itself is like a 7/10 at best for me.

It doesn’t transcend the genre, IMO it's a pretentious Eastwood wannabe film.

You wanna see something that "trascendends" the genre and can be appreciated by non-comic book fan? Watch The Dark Knight or Iron Man 1.

As unpopular as it is, Iron Man 1 is a movie about a men, and not about a hero and it's comic-booky sure, but the story itself isn’t much about fights etc. I still would rate it as the 2nd best origin film ever and way, way above Logan.

Yeah, I always liked Wolverine more in that movie. And in DOFP.

Did he give a great performance in Logan? Sure, but the movie itself is like a 7/10 at best for me.

It doesn’t transcend the genre, IMO it's a pretentious Eastwood wannabe film.

You wanna see something that "trascendends" the genre and can be appreciated by non-comic book fan? Watch The Dark Knight or Iron Man 1.

As unpopular as it is, Iron Man 1 is a movie about a men, and not about a hero and it's comic-booky sure, but the story itself isn’t much about fights etc. I still would rate it as the 2nd best origin film ever and way, way above Logan.

Yeah, couldn’t disagree more with you about Logan if I tried.

I have a question for @venom892... if my counting is correct, this round has an odd number of movies. What happens to that odd movie out? Automatically advance? Automatically eliminated? A 3 movie battle?
Astute observation. It's gonna be a three way battle. I haven't decided if one advances and two are eliminated or two advance and the one with the least amount votes is eliminated. I'm gonna put that to a vote.So you guys decide how it goes down.

Logan advances. Next match

Battle of The Rosario Dawson Films

Men in Black II
67839.jpg

VS

Sin City
sin-city-56a2977803dbf.jpg

How can these films still be here while the Winter Soldier has gone?:barf:

Anyway, Rosario Dawson makes any film better by being in it, can you imagine her as Storm ?

Oh sorry, Sin City, yeah MIB 2 is pretty average. Sin City is pretty offensive but doesn't quite cross the line that Kick ash 2 does for vileness, or that the Spirit does for being an awful film.

So, Sin City.

Logan is not only the best X-Men movie, but IMO one of the best films of all time. It transcends the comic book genre. There's only one thing stopping Logan from being a perfect movie... I wish instead of X24, It was Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. That is all.

As for Deadpool...

ee86817fc8ac0add90ccdf364713fa9f.gif

Bro, X-24 was meant to be walking irony, that Logan's worst enemy, the one he could not defeat was his own violent nature. X 24 is everything bad about Logan, and while that rage and savagery made him strong it also made him a bit less than human.

It's a bit heavy handed, but IMO it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"