Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Its been confirmed and will be dived into during SDCC 2018, that Batwoman will get her own series after she debuts in the Arrowverse this fall, starring openly gay Kate Kane.

In an official logline for the show, it's said that "Batwoman revolves around Kate Kane, who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet: in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope."

Whether its set in the Arrowverse or a different Earth like Supergirl remains to be seen.

Social justice, huh? Well, I’m open to seeing any form of justice. Count me in.

I was hoping they wouldn't, so this is a disappointing for me. Hopefully it's good if it gets made though, I'd like to be wrong.

I wonder how they will dodge the whole question of where Batman is in this universe. At least with Supergirl we know Superman is around Metropolis instead of National City but Gotham is Batman's town.

So they cancel the really good comic, so they can probably relaunch another book, with a lesser writer to go along with this version, which will probably suck. :yuk:

Everyone in Gotham is getting a show, spinoff movie, origin movie, except Batsy.

I'm intrigued for Batwoman however.

Everyone in Gotham is getting a show, spinoff movie, origin movie, except Batsy.

I'm intrigued for Batwoman however.

Well since Batman is in the movie business seems that can't use the name although how there using Superman is questionable. Maybe if this show if it gets made debuts after Gotham is off the air they could make mention of Batman. However Im pretty postive arrow has made mention of Bruce Wayne.

I just can't see how this works out without a proper Batman influence/appearance.

Even Supergirl had the presence and mentions of Superman from the get-go.

I'm glad The CW is treating Batwoman with the respect she deserves by hiring a writer from The Vampire Diaries and Melrose Place.

I'm definitely interested in the show, and I'd be just fine with there being no Batman, just as I'd have been fine with there being no Superman in Supergirl. Spider-Gwen didn't need Spider-Man to exist.

Good idea. Too bad the show will start to suck after season 2.

As I've said elsewhere:
If it's set in Gotham (where it should be) then it needs to be darker in tone, similar to Arrow, and needs a better writing team than what we currently have on Supergirl (#opinion).

In any case, this would be that sixth DCCW show? Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supergirl, Black Lightning and Batwoman. I wonder whether this show would use the Batman villains (those that Ollie hasn't killed already) or whether they'll go original and simply create some - in addition to using villains that exist for her anyway.

I'm definitely interested in the show, and I'd be just fine with there being no Batman, just as I'd have been fine with there being no Superman in Supergirl. Spider-Gwen didn't need Spider-Man to exist.
That would be fine except... Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen are in two totally different universes completely removing the need for a Spider-Man seeing as Spider-Gwen instead took the role, Superman is mentioned and even seen in Supergirl on occasion and they aren't necessarily tied to a mentor or inspired like Batwoman would be with Batman.

So until we know how they intend to avoid Batman in a city where he is supposed to be the predominate vigilante/hero it's going to be a lot of questioning how they intend to handle his (lack) of presence.

Its been confirmed and will be dived into during SDCC 2018, that Batwoman will get her own series after she debuts in the Arrowverse this fall, starring openly gay Kate Kane.
Because the DCCW shows don't already have enough gay/lesbian characters that (seem) to be highlighted every other episode. :whatever:

We've already got Curtis, Sara, Alex & Anissa, and now Kate?

Whether its set in the Arrowverse or a different Earth like Supergirl remains to be seen.
I wonder how they will dodge the whole question of where Batman is in this universe. At least with Supergirl we know Superman is around Metropolis instead of National City but Gotham is Batman's town.
I'd imagine this'll take place on Earth-1, but it's possible it'll take place elsewhere; maybe the same Earth as Black Lightning (which may or may not be Earth-38).

In any case, if it's Earth 1, Batman doesn't need to exist; just as they have with Arrow, elements of the Batman mytho can be used to fill in the background of Batwoman - she's bound to encounter some Batman villains (no doubt excluding the Joker).

Maybe (in this Gotham) it's Kane Enterprises, and it's Kate's parents that are killed by a mugger, and Kate has a maid named Alfreda. If it's a different Earth, then we'll just have to accept different rules.

I'll be amazed if we don't meet Batman (or at least Bruce Wayne with a hint of him being Batman) on Arrow before the show wraps for good mind you.

Because the DCCW shows don't already have enough gay/lesbian characters that (seem) to be highlighted every other episode. :whatever:

We've already got Curtis, Sara, Alex & Anissa, and now Kate?

And if we listed the straight ones, we'd be here all day. She's gay in the comics, why is it a problem she is here?

And if we listed the straight ones, we'd be here all day. She's gay in the comics, why is it a problem she is here?
My problem isn't with her as a gay character, it's that the CW shows seem to need to promote the theme; Batwoman aside, Alex & Anissa aren't so much an issue, because with them, it doesn't seem forced. When it comes to their sexuality, I simply find Curtis & Sara annoying.

My problem isn't with her as a gay character, it's that the CW shows seem to need to promote the theme; Batwoman aside, Alex & Anissa aren't so much an issue, because with them, it doesn't seem forced. When it comes to their sexuality, I simply find Curtis & Sara annoying.
Are they promoting straightness, forcing it, with all the straight relationships?

On another note, a proper Batwoman show shouldn't feel a thing like Arrow or any CW shows so far really, with the expectation of Black Lightning, and that is do to the quality and what feels like an actual understanding of themes.

That's the issue too, like how would she become Batwoman if she didn't have Batman/Bruce to inspire her? Then they go and use his rogues gallery since Gotham is but so big, it's just too many holes.

Think they'd have Renee Montoya on here as her girlfriend?

Having gay characters isn't 'promoting the theme' anymore than every time Oliver and Felicity, Barry and Iris, Kara and whoever she's into, share a scene is promoting the theme of being straight. Undoubtedly their gay characters/relationships are badly written in some cases, but it's not like their bad writing's exclusive to gay characters, it's everywhere. What constitutes forcing sexuality with these characters, while the straight characters are not forced?

That's the issue too, like how would she become Batwoman if she didn't have Batman/Bruce to inspire her? Then they go and use his rogues gallery since Gotham is but so big, it's just too many holes.

Think they'd have Renee Montoya on here as her girlfriend?
There is a clear way of doing it. But they won't.

If they were doing it properly, Renee should be her ex, and Maggie her current/soon to be girlfriend.

Having gay characters isn't 'promoting the theme' anymore than every time Oliver and Felicity, Barry and Iris, Kara and whoever she's into, share a scene is promoting the theme of being straight. Undoubtedly their gay characters/relationships are badly written in some cases, but it's not like their bad writing's exclusive to gay characters, it's everywhere. What constitutes forcing sexuality with these characters, while the straight characters are not forced?
qvkw2lW.gif

I don't see why her being a lesbian should be a problem. No matter what her love interest has between the legs is not going to make much difference when it comes to drama whenever it is convienent to the story.

I would much rather not have another will they/won't they/on again/off again conflict but it is part of the trope. Superheroes of any type can't have a stable, normal relationship with anyone, gay, straight, bisexual, etc. Romantic or platonic. There is always a need to throw that into the mix because having a villian or disaster to handle is never enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"