Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

I saw an audition tape. It makes the first season laying it on thick with Supergirl look subtle in comparison. If that is the direction they are going, they know nothing about Kate Kane, the Batwoman, at all, and this is going to be a disaster.

I understand why they cast Ruby Rose, but again it is another example of them not getting the character at all. And I know, I shouldn't be surprised considering the other CW shows. But as they push this as a big LGBTQ moment, they seem to be just making another ****** show, that is showing no respect or care for this important LGBTQ character. They are going to turn her into a caricature, that doesn't resemblance her at all. It sucks.

Yeah, that was...not good at all. I'm not yet convinced this will make it past the pilot stage.

On one hand, I feel like it's likely to go through just due to how lucrative this universe seems to be for them. On the other hand, if that audition script is any indication, this might even be too bad for the CW, and I feel like the characterization is likely to turn a lot of people off, and the mixed reception to the casting, I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't get far unless the crossover is a particular success. I feel like how they approached all this just shot themselves in the foot multiple times, even just from the casting call that felt poorly thought out at best, or like a bad attempt to get positive headlines at worst.

On one hand, I feel like it's likely to go through just due to how lucrative this universe seems to be for them. On the other hand, if that audition script is any indication, this might even be too bad for the CW, and I feel like the characterization is likely to turn a lot of people off, and the mixed reception to the casting, I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't get far unless the crossover is a particular success. I feel like how they approached all this just shot themselves in the foot multiple times, even just from the casting call that felt poorly thought out at best, or like a bad attempt to get positive headlines at worst.
You better stop your complaining Snow, or I am going to call the ACLU on you. :argh: :o :hehe:

You better stop your complaining Snow, or I am going to call the ACLU on you. :argh: :o :hehe:

Most of the audition script was bad, particularly once the nonsense homophobia accusation came into it, but that was the moment that made me go "oh, I hate this character." It'd be one thing if it was a very different character from the books but was good in their own right, but the character presented in that script feels like an aggressively unpleasant character to follow. It felt like a parody.

Most of the audition script was bad, particularly once the nonsense homophobia accusation came into it, but that was the moment that made me go "oh, I hate this character." It'd be one thing if it was a very different character from the books but was good in their own right, but the character presented in that script feels like an aggressively unpleasant character to follow. It felt like a parody.
If you told me the audition script was far right propaganda, I'd believe you. :funny:

I am fairly convinced that this show is being prepped as a replacement for Arrow.

I saw an audition tape. It makes the first season laying it on thick with Supergirl look subtle in comparison. If that is the direction they are going, they know nothing about Kate Kane, the Batwoman, at all, and this is going to be a disaster.

I understand why they cast Ruby Rose, but again it is another example of them not getting the character at all. And I know, I shouldn't be surprised considering the other CW shows. But as they push this as a big LGBTQ moment, they seem to be just making another ****** show, that is showing no respect or care for this important LGBTQ character. They are going to turn her into a caricature, that doesn't resemblance her at all. It sucks.

Are you talking about the audition on the previous page or a different audition altogether? If so, which one?

I feel it will go past the pilot and get several seasons. Not because it's good, but simply because if they don't, they'll be accused of not giving the LGBLT community equality and shutting them down too quickly. So it will get by simply by virtue of what it is rather than any actual merit.

I feel it will go past the pilot and get several seasons. Not because it's good, but simply because if they don't, they'll be accused of not giving the LGBLT community equality and shutting them down too quickly. So it will get by simply by virtue of what it is rather than any actual merit.
I'm fairly certain Bat____ will go through and get several seasons for the same reason Super____ went through and got several seasons.
That trumps political motive.

The crossover is being looked at as a backdoor pilot so if people receive the character well and the actual script for the show is good then yeah she'll totally get 5 seasons.

I am fairly sure that Batwoman will at least get a pilot and besides I don't think CW would want backlash from the LGBT community if they won't go ahead with making the Batwoman series.

This could be the worst show on the CW and it still won't be cancelled. They don't even really need any super heroics for it to succeed now that it's already out of the bag.

Reading all these comments, it occured to me most of you already know this series is going to be terrible and a failure yet somehow keep going for several years. Can you tell me how the mid-term elections and 2020 elections turn out? Since you clearly have future-vision I'd really like to know. :awesome:

Are you talking about the audition on the previous page or a different audition altogether? If so, which one?

Its the LGBTQ community. Second, they seem to hate this situation more then anyone.

Green Arrow being an awful Batman, to be replaced by an equally awful Batman. That sounds right.

To be fair, we don't know if the dialogue from that audition will even be in the show.

Now, if you think the show will be awful because it's part of the CWverse, well...

A lot of people have apparently discovered that they are precognicent and have decided just how bad the new series is going to be from watching a woman not chosen for the part with lines that may have nothing to do with any script for said show.

Watch Mark Hammil in his audition for Luke Skywalker, not for his performance but for how much of the dialogue that is familiar, is mixed in with so much that was never used.

It's an audition tape for a show that doesn't have any scripts yet, or if they do are more than likely incomplete. Let's stop kicking it before it even gets to stand up and show how good (or bad) it's going to be.

Honestly we don't know what Kate will be like and already folks on here are declaring she's a horrible character based on some audition tapes. I doubt they completed any script yet and we don't know if any of the dialogue from the audition tape will actually be in the show.

The more I read and see about this Ruby Rose, the more i'm questioning the casting decision. She doesn't seem to have a whole lotta bulk to her (which I'd think a requirement for the role; even Caity (Sara Lance) has bulk to her, supporting her role).

Still not understanding the necessity of casting an actual lesbian either. Isn't this a disservice to heterosexual actresses? And fans (if they've just gone out and grabbed the first lesbian actress they could find?)

I'd genuinely love to know how many actresses auditioned for the role.

I honestly wish they would stop adding people to the Arrowverse, Black Lightening is standalone and I believe they were the better for that
At the moment he is, though I'm sure as soon as it's convenient, he'll meet up with one or two of the other characters from the other shows.

Ruby Rose was being touted as someone the CW should cast as Batwoman. And then she was cast. They didn't surprise us with a different choice. It's as if they couldn't think of any other lesbian actresses out there so she got the part. Surely there must be some other ones? It doesn't feel like they searched very far and wide.
Maybe (and hopefully) they'll just use her in the crossover, then recast for the series? They've recast people before.

I am fairly convinced that this show is being prepped as a replacement for Arrow.
This wouldn't remotely surprise me. I can't see Arrow passing Season 8, so Batwoman (if successful) would be an adequate replacement.

It'll be interesting to see which hero replaces Supergirl in a few years time - you can bet (with Melissa's' success elsewhere) that she'll be the first show lead not to renew her contract before time.

Honestly we don't know what Kate will be like and already folks on here are declaring she's a horrible character based on some audition tapes. I doubt they completed any script yet and we don't know if any of the dialogue from the audition tape will actually be in the show.

If I know that an actor has been cast I make it a point not to watch any of their leaked audition tapes. I don't want anything to colour my opinion of their actual performance in the show/film. Once I've seen the finished product I might go back and watch the tapes out of interest.

Audition Tapes are generally terrible; I've seen some of the ones done by the Thrones cast and the auditions are just tragic, yet the character portrayals on the show are brilliant.

There's too much pressure on an audition.

A lot of people have apparently discovered that they are precognicent and have decided just how bad the new series is going to be from watching a woman not chosen for the part with lines that may have nothing to do with any script for said show.

Watch Mark Hammil in his audition for Luke Skywalker, not for his performance but for how much of the dialogue that is familiar, is mixed in with so much that was never used.

It's an audition tape for a show that doesn't have any scripts yet, or if they do are more than likely incomplete. Let's stop kicking it before it even gets to stand up and show how good (or bad) it's going to be.
When you have an audition script, the entire idea is get someone who fits the character as written. In this case they wrote a script based around the idea that Kate is hostile to ordinary people and accusing them of homophobia based on her violation of the dress code.

That is nothing like Kate. That they cast based around that idea is an obvious issue. They aren't looking to write Kate Kane.

Audition Tapes are generally terrible; I've seen some of the ones done by the Thrones cast and the auditions are just tragic, yet the character portrayals on the show are brilliant.

There's too much pressure on an audition.
It is not the audition. It is the audition material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"