Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

Episode 3 promo:

It seems this is the episode where Batwoman graduates to her traditional black/red costume.

I was really excited about this show, and even moreso after last years crossover event that featured her. But damn it, this is just not easy to sit through in my opinion. Is it the worst thing I have seen? Nope. It is just woefully average, and that may be on the generous side. I will stick with it, but I am not getting a good vibe for the future of it.

I was really excited about this show, and even moreso after last years crossover event that featured her. But damn it, this is just not easy to sit through in my opinion. Is it the worst thing I have seen? Nope. It is just woefully average, and that may be on the generous side. I will stick with it, but I am not getting a good vibe for the future of it.
That's exactly how I feel about the show. It's just painfully average and boring as bad place.

So I was going to comment on last week's episode in its thread, but I got bored and found something else to do. I am in the middle of watching the new episode, with it's awful Alice, worse Kate, and 800th TDKT reference, and all I can think to myself is, "Why does this exist? Other then to piss off Batwoman fans".

As one who isn't exactly a fan of the CW shows on a whole, I will say this show has impressed in one way. It is the first one I could actually call boring. Not even so bad, it's kind of amusing. Everyone acts like they are sleep walking and somehow Rachel Maddow is more annoying on this show then in real life. Impressive. Why is it not 9 yet so I can watch 90 Day Fiance or Watchmen. :argh:

Oh, and Tommy Elliot? fork off.

Episode 3 was again better but man i dont think i keep this show up.
Despite its potential and all, and despite them all trying very hard...the show feels incredible lifeless.
Its not that the actors dont try and all, but there is nothing really there.

The show lacks a unique voice that even Supergirl has.
Its CW trying to be Nolan lite.
Some scenes work super fine, but for the most part there is no life behind most of it.

Who knows, maybe by the time episode 5 comes around, i have gotten used to it to continue...but not because im interested in the characters or plot.

I had such high hopes for something unique, something fresh and new...but they do the same formula they do with the rest of the CW superhero shows...which would work if the cast would be more charismatic.
But it isnt, they do their best but they dont capture you, keep your eyes glued to the screen with their presence and all.

What’s TDKT? Nolan’s trilogy? I guess I’ve gotten used to this theft appropriation on Arrow. And since Batwoman is an even more directly derivative character, I expected the same in this series. Can’t say, though, that I’ve noticed anything particularly blatant.

Also… anyone inspired to oversee threads for the individual episodes?

Last edited:
I'm considering dropping this show. Honestly I can't get myself into it. It's a shame that they turned Tommy Eilliot into a saturday morning cartoon villain and that he's pretty much a standard villain of the week, so far what a waste of the character. Ruby Rose lacks the screen presence that a main actor needs to have and she isn't charismatic when she's Kate Kane. This show is missing 'something' but I'm not sure what.

The fact that no one didn't bothered making a thread for episode 3 says a lot about the feeling towards the show.

It just doesn't feel as fun as the others, maybe it has to find its footing. But even if the ratings suck they'll keep it on because, for lack of a better term, it hits all the quadrants.

Alright, I'm gonna give it 2 more episodes, but I think this will be dropped for me. I can't get over how bad this show is. I don't know who's worst: Alice or Kate?

It's good to see the actual Batwoman suit, though. I thought she looked weird in Batman's suit.

It was cool to see the actual Batwoman suit, I agree. The proto suit did look odd to me, but I understand why they did it.

I'll stick around for some more episodes... How are the ratings fairing?

So I have a question: why is their hate for this show? I'm 2 episodes in, and have enjoyed it, and it isn't this cringy show I've been hearing. Is it true what they said, that people hate it because a) its Batwoman and not BatMAN, b) she's gay and anti-LGBT are behind the negative reviews, and c) she's gay and thus men can't fantasize about being with her?

The legitimate criticism points to Ruby Rose not being able to carry the show on her shoulders. She is far worse than Caity Lotz ever was. Now, she is at a point where she isn't detracting from my enjoyment of the show

So I have a question: why is their hate for this show? I'm 2 episodes in, and have enjoyed it, and it isn't this cringy show I've been hearing. Is it true what they said, that people hate it because a) its Batwoman and not BatMAN, b) she's gay and anti-LGBT are behind the negative reviews, and c) she's gay and thus men can't fantasize about being with her?
A) That is my preference, B) very gay here and I have some very negative reviews, C) that has never stopped anyone before ever. It's just... pretty awful, in my opinion (as any post of mine is obviously referring to, but I feel the need to specify when I'm being pretty unkind on something). I think there is probably a level of review bombing as has become common place against anything that can be slapped with the label 'progressive', but the problem it faces is that it's just... also not very good.

The legitimate criticism points to Ruby Rose not being able to carry the show on her shoulders. She is far worse than Caity Lotz ever was. Now, she is at a point where she isn't detracting from my enjoyment of the show
For me she hasn't managed to reach that point yet. NONE of the Arrowverse pilots got off to what I'd consider to be a "good start" (except maybe Black Lightning), but other than Arrow, they all at least had leads that were still good enough to carry the shows. Rose is even worse than Amell was, imo. Might end up being a dealbreaker for me, but as I bought this cheap-as-dirt season pass I got from Amazon, I'll keep watching for the season. But she needs to improve substantially if I'm gonna watch beyond that.

Right now, I really like Mary. Both the character and actress. And that's about it. I need more.

The Flash hit the ground running with its pilot (and if i recall had record breaking ratings for the CW) and then the momentum just kept going from there. The Arrow pilot had some rough edges, but it had tons of intrigue, Amell sold the role and you were vested in "what happened to Oliver Queen?" Supergirl was all about Melissa Benoist who had an incredibly infectious and charming personality from day one that carried the show. Legends was a little rough but had the "team up" novelty factor going for it before grew its own identity.

Batwoman feels lifeless. Ruby is bland, the arch nemesis is a campy cartoon, the action is below Arrow's standards and the story is...what it is.

The Flash hit the ground running with its pilot (and if i recall had record breaking ratings for the CW) and then the momentum just kept going from there. The Arrow pilot had some rough edges, but it had tons of intrigue, Amell sold the role and you were vested in "what happened to Oliver Queen?" Supergirl was all about Melissa Benoist who had an incredibly infectious and charming personality from day one that carried the show. Legends was a little rough but had the "team up" novelty factor going for it before grew its own identity.

Batwoman feels lifeless. Ruby is bland, the arch nemesis is a campy cartoon, the action is below Arrow's standards and the story is...what it is.
Unfortunately you're pretty spot on. I'll probably stick it out for the season or until the inevitable Supergirl crossover happens. While I don't think it's been bad so far - it's just very bland.

I felt Flash, Arrow, and Black Lightening had great pilots. Melissa Benoist just made you fall for Kara once we met her.

I like Ruby Rose and I think there's potential there under the right direction , but my criticism is that they don't seem to know who Batwoman is yet. If they're creating a show around her, they need to figure out what drives her to be a hero.

I like Ruby Rose and I think there's potential there under the right direction , but my criticism is that they don't seem to know who Batwoman is yet. If they're creating a show around her, they need to figure out what drives her to be a hero.

Generally speaking, the Arrowverse formula has the protagonist up-and-running -- in full costume, embracing his/her destiny as hero -- by the conclusion of the pilot. But in Batwoman, this has been a slower and more tentative process. For Kate, initially, donning the cape and cowl was a means to a short-term end. (E.g., rescuing Sophie, doing battle with Alice.) Indeed, for the first two and a half episodes, Kate was rather ambivalent about being mistaken for Batman -- a role she felt unqualified to fill. So, again, not exactly the standard Arrowverse template. It’s only at the end of episode three (!) that Batwoman (finally) gets her traditional costume and her name.

Now, it’s a point of legitimate debate as to whether this more deliberate, “slow-motion” origin story worked. I suppose there’s a certain logic to “cutting to the chase” and getting through the “reluctant hero” phase as quickly as possible. But for me, the origin is the more interesting part of the story. (The established hero’s weekly adventures: not so much. :word:) So I didn’t mind the wait. And I give the showrunners credit for at least trying something a little different.

Generally speaking, the Arrowverse formula has the protagonist up-and-running -- in full costume, embracing his/her destiny as hero -- by the conclusion of the pilot. But in Batwoman, this has been a slower and more tentative process. For Kate, initially, donning the cape and cowl was a means to a short-term end. (E.g., rescuing Sophie, doing battle with Alice.) Indeed, for the first two and a half episodes, Kate was rather ambivalent about being mistaken for Batman -- a role she felt unqualified to fill. So, again, not exactly the standard Arrowverse template. It’s only at the end of episode three (!) that Batwoman (finally) gets her traditional costume and her name.

Now, it’s a point of legitimate debate as to whether this more deliberate, “slow-motion” origin story worked. I suppose there’s a certain logic to “cutting to the chase” and getting through the “reluctant hero” phase as quickly as possible. But for me, the origin is the more interesting part of the story. (The established hero’s weekly adventures: not so much. :word:) So I didn’t mind the wait. And I give the showrunners credit for at least trying something a little different.

I don't have a problem with how her origin is playing out. Its not about cutting to the chase with me at least. I know zero about the Batwoman character, so its not as if I know alot about her comics origins, or how things have played out in other incarnations.

I actually don't think the show is all that different from the other CW superhero shows, and if anything ,I'm seeing alot of the same types of characters, and tropes repeated from the others.

That's not to bash it, because I like those other shows even if they have alot of the same elements. Just saying I don't really see the show as that unique in terms of what the other CW shows have done.

I think Kate as a character is unique though.

I understand who she is as a person and what her relationships are , which is good. The writers got that part. But the writers now need to take the extra step and let the audience know what drives her to want to be Batwoman or to even be a crime fighter. I got that she was reluctant to be mistaken for Batman, but I still don't get what makes her want to be a hero to begin with.

I want to know what makes her tick in regards to why she wants to be Batwoman. What motivates her and drives her to want to be Batwoman. With Arrow , Black Lightening, Kara, and Barry, it was clear why they wanted to be heroes pretty quickly and what their motivations were.

I'm basically saying that i'm interested in the character already from what they've given, but I think they need to establish why she wants to be a hero instead of having her be a hero because she's supposed to be a hero.

I'm not sure the writers themselves know that yet or knew it when they wrote these first episodes. Maybe they got a better handle as the season went on ,and we'll see that reflected as the show progresses. For right now ,I can only go by what they've given us.

Jesus fork, 22 episodes? Any other show would have gotten less but as I said, it checks all the quadrant boxes.

This is a mistake and a problem with all the DC/CW shows. The seasons are too long and drawn out, with too much unnecessary “filler”.

I’d much rather a slightly shorter, tighter season.

My favorite show had 23 episode seasons. It has nothing to do with the number of episodes. These writers just suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"