BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Binker, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Ruby Rose quitting isnt a "you wanted a lesbian so you were lazy" thing. Any actor could've done it, has done it. They put names in shows all the time and this was no different. Only difference here is that it didnt work out. They wanted a NAME and did not do proper casting (as in finding the best LGBTQ actress) for the job.

Hollywood has no shortage of POC actors and yet they will whitewash a role SO FAST because thats what they do. There are plenty of LGBTQ actress who can be up and coming and im sure they'll find her.

Enriquespy likes this.
  2. Frodo Registered

They will whitewash if they can , though, its much harder to get with today without a backlash, then it was back in the past.

In the end , it ends up being more of a headache then its worth, and the studios tend to back down with regards to whitewashing nowadays.

With hashtags like Oscars so white , threats boycotts, and bad PR, the studios are less and less likely to try that in the social media/ culture wars, age.

Like i've been saying, I think the studios fear of a the potential backlash for them not choosing another Lesbian actress is why they weren't ever going to consider replacing Rose with a straight actress.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they already have someone in mind or lined up and they just haven't announced it yet.

WhoMani likes this.
  3. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

If someone like Chyler Leigh were available and turned lesbian tomorrow, would they consider her? Or does the actress need an established history of being a lesbian rather than appearing like someone who is just trying it out and exploring her sexuality?

4. WhoMani Registered

Well it doesn't really matter if we think this is fair or if we feel it's pandering, the producers made it clear from the start that they wanted to cast someone who's open about being part of LGBTQ community for Batwoman, which was one of the main reason Ruby Rose was hired in the first place. I expect the producers to again cast an actress who's openly gay and who feels strongly about the representation of gay characters on tv/movies. I don't think WB/CW would want the backlash of hiring a straight actress from a small but vocal group that's on Twitter.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  5. Dr. From parts unknown

Certainly possible. Sometimes, these behind-the-scenes dramas unfold for a longer period than the public knows; and the studios will only confess to the bad news when they can follow up with good news. For instance, Jenkins was named director of Wonder Woman only days after the announcement of Michelle McLaren’s departure.

Of course, the situation here could be totally different. And with pandemic delay in production, perhaps WB figures they have extra time for their actor search.

6. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Sadly, I saw a suggestion that has really worked its way into my mind, so I will be disappointed if it will be someone else.

7. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Similar to when the Sussexes announced they were stepping back as senior Royals. A lot of people thought the decision had just been taken, but it turned out they'd been in talks with the Queen about it for months.

8. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

You don't just say "im exploring my sexuality so im a lesbian". You're trying to make it seem so insane to have a lesbian/bi-sexual play a lesbian character. They arent going to test their sexuality, they arent going to force them to sleep with a woman in front of them, they wont put them through a lie detector test, ask them how many sexual partners they've had, when they decided they were into women, interview past family members and friends, go through their facebook. If they say they are lesbian/bi, whatever and are just doing it for giggles then itll come out eventually and they can face that backlash.

Snow Queen likes this.
  9. Frodo Registered

WB had also pretty much locked in Affleck after they announced BvS at comic con in 2013. They just chose not to announce it then.

They let the announcement of the film take precedence, and let the guessing game go on for publicity and build up.

As fans we're often reading tea leaves that are several months or weeks old and trying to discern from old information what the current status quo is ,when in reality, it my have already changed by the time fans read about or debate it .

We're basically playing catchup to stuff that's old news to the studios, actors, and alot of times , the media themselves.

WhoMani and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  10. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Who?

To me, The Haunting of Hill House's Kate Siegel resembles Ruby Rose a lot, just an older version (only 3 years older in real life), and is certainly a better actress. She identifies as bisexual but is married to a man, so I doubt she'd be considered (also doubt she'd want to go from a Netflix series to a CW series, lol).

Primal Slayer likes this.
  11. Frodo Registered

Had Batwoman been made in the 90s , I would have had Gine Gershon as Kate with Hudson Leick from Xena, as Alice.

12. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Jade Tailor, Kady from the Magicians, expressed interest. And now I have a tough time seeing anyone else. With the right haircut, she won't look too different. Has experience playing a character similar to what they've established with Kate.

Plus, a set of pipes that demands a musical cross over with Melissa and/or Grant.

Dark Raven and flickchick85 like this.
  13. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I don't watch The Magicians so I have no thoughts from an acting standpoint, but she's the right age and aesthetically, I could see it. :up:

Sithborg likes this.
  14. Dr. From parts unknown

I’m clueless about the up-and-comers folks are mentioning. I’ve never heard of them or seen them in anything. :grrr:

But I’m liking the look of this Jade Tailor person. Give her a haircut and some tatts and sign her up!

Dark Raven and Sithborg like this.
  15. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

16. flickchick85 Admin of Might

The Magicians just ended too, right? So the timing's pretty good. And hey, posting stunt rehearsal footage, I admire the hustle. If she is indeed a member of the LGBTQ community, then surely she'll get a shot.

Dark Raven and Sithborg like this.
  17. Thome216 Registered

They'll just handle it like it's a resume, complete with names and phone numbers to get referrals, and an idea as to whether the prospective actress seemed really into it.

What they need is someone to walk in there, knock her audition out of the effin park, and when they ask if she is a lesbian, just say that's none of their damn business.

I actually mentioned Hudson Leick in another forum, about when she took over the role on Xena WP when Lucy Lawless had her accident. She was great in that.

WhoMani, Dark Raven and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  18. Speed Force Goober

19. Enriquespy Registered

Apparently Stephany Beatriz is interested too.

20. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I think her interest was more in jest because she still has a job, lol.

Enriquespy likes this.
  21. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They'll probably cast her immediately then, just like Ruby Rose was. With her it was almost "LGBTQ? Check." And then she got the role because they couldn't seem to think of anyone else.

22. Fincher Coming Undone

I'm not sure expressing interest on social media really accomplishes anything. I mean, if Natalie Portman said on Twitter that she wanted to be in the Arrowverse, someone would take notice, but for working actors I'd say they should pursue roles through their agents.

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I'm sure they're doing that as well, but I think they post these things hoping it catches on with fans and becomes a thing. In the era of social media, those fancasting-campaigns have seemed to get the notice of studios on occasion. Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka most recently comes to mind. Some could argue Henry Cavill as the Witcher might have also partially have been a result of that kind of thing.

24. Fincher Coming Undone

Well, at any rate, it would seem that Jade is bi going by a Twitter comment, and she seems a reasonable choice.

Dark Raven and flickchick85 like this.
  25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Does she need short hair? Couldn't Kate Kane have grown it out?