Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

Kate Kane was just an LGBTQ character that Berlanti and Co. knew they could exploit. They had no interest in telling her story or giving Greg Rucka's brilliant stories any weight. It simply pushed an agenda.

Oh, and of course the CW wanted a BATMAN adjacent series.

It boggles the mind.
Absolutely. I've thought that from the get-go.

It feels like they only decided to make Batwoman just so they will have a show that will to pander to the LGBTQ community and nothing more. It's a shame that they have very little respect to Kate Kane and that they didn't put much depth on her character or the stories in season 1.

Still dont agree with bringing in someone new to don the cowl. It isnt like you're going to find Kate and she becomes Batwoman again.

Maybe they invented a brand new character so that they could do whatever they wanted with her. They could even have her transition to become a man if they wanted, which no-one could then say that Kate Kane would never do that.

What if they wanted to get rid of Kate Kane all along and introduce their own character, and that's part of why Ruby Rose left?

I think the reboot option has come from above Dries head tbh, whether it was Berlanti and/or Guggenheim I don’t know I feel like she’s playing the PR mouth piece.

Kate Kane was just an LGBTQ character that Berlanti and Co. knew they could exploit. They had no interest in telling her story or giving Greg Rucka's brilliant stories any weight. It simply pushed an agenda.

Oh, and of course the CW wanted a BATMAN adjacent series.

It boggles the mind.

They're not even trying to hide it. "... please know that LGBTQ+ justice is at the very core of what Batwoman is and we have no intention of abandoning that.”

Can't they just make an awesome show where the main character happens to be gay and it's not a big deal?

This made me laugh,

:funny:

LMAO this is class. Replicating Rose’s ‘performance.’ I love how much attention and care they’re trying to give to such incredibly below average work. They treat Rose’s work as if it was a high indelible watermark in acting when instead it is steeped in layers of stilted mediocrity. CW/WB are getting into unintentional trolling territory with their useless attempts for damage control.

Should have just recast the Kate Kane character and be done with it...

I’ll be very surprised if this show survives beyond a 2nd season. Which will be a shame as I’ve always thought the show had potential.

Agreed. What will they do? Create a parallel universe? That entire season’s build up all for nought. For the folks who do actually like this show, it is a huge dump on them as well for their time invested. Recasting was clearly the best idea. “Honor Rose’s legacy..”. LMAO.

LMAO this is class. Replicating Rose’s ‘performance.’ I love how much attention and care they’re trying to give to such incredibly below average work. They treat Rose’s work as if it was a high indelible watermark in acting when instead it is steeped in layers of stilted mediocrity. CW/WB are getting into unintentional trolling territory with their useless attempts for damage control.

You’re attacking the wrong target. The notion that a new character spares the new actor from “replicating Rose’s performance” was the article’s take; it wasn’t anything that the showrunners put forward. Moreover, it was a dumb observation to include in the article. Most recasting doesn’t entail impersonation of the previous actor. E.g., Kilmer wasn’t trying “replicate” Keaton; Gyllenhaal wasn’t trying to “replicate” Holmes.

So the character Kate Kane isn't going to be killed off ‘Batwoman’ Showrunner Says Series Will Not Kill Off Kate Kane in Season 2 – Variety from showrunner Caroline Dries

“As a lesbian who’s been working as a writer for the past fifteen years, I’m well aware of the ‘Bury Your Gays’ trope and I have no interest in participating in it,” Dries tweeted. “That’s why it’s important to me as the showrunner to clarify any misinformation out there about Kate Kane and recasting Batwoman. Like you, I love Kate Kane – she’s the reason I wanted to do the show. We’ll never erase her. In fact, her disappearance will be one of the mysteries of season two. I don’t want to give away any of our surprises, but to all our devoted fans, please know that LGBTQ+ justice is at the very core of what Batwoman is and we have no intention of abandoning that.”

Here's my hypothesis, they already have an actress to take over the role of Kate but she has a prior commitment and can't start until filming season two is well under way. The mystery of Kate's disappearance will be solved toward the end of the season at which time the new actress will take over the character. TPTB are milking the publicity as much as possible. This whole situation has kept up the chatter.

The problem with the show was the writing more than it was its lead.

At this point, I'm not a convinced that changing the lead will mean a better show. The main problem with the series from the start was its writing .

They can change the lead all they want, but if they still don't have a coherent vision, and narrative to drive the series ,then they're just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If we got word that they were bringing a new creative team in addition to a new lead , that signal to some progress.

Instead, it doesn't sound as if they're bringing in a fresh pair of eyes or a new writing team. They seem to think changing the lead character will solve their problems. I doubt that they will.

Some auditon tapes...gives you insight to what we'll see once Ryan takes over for Kate

No surprise that she steals the Batsuit and Kate being Batwoman is no secret.

None of these actresses auditioning make me want to watch them even remotely. They're dull and very bland.

I would've rather had Wallis Day. I guess she's out of the picture now though.

Based on those audition tapes Ryan already sounds like a bland character.

None of these actresses auditioning make me want to watch them even remotely. They're dull and very bland.

I would've rather had Wallis Day. I guess she's out of the picture now though.

Why is she out of the picture? Not like these are the finalists or anything.

Based on those audition tapes Ryan already sounds like a bland character.

Are sides ever exciting when auditioning?

Here's my hypothesis, they already have an actress to take over the role of Kate but she has a prior commitment and can't start until filming season two is well under way. The mystery of Kate's disappearance will be solved toward the end of the season at which time the new actress will take over the character. TPTB are milking the publicity as much as possible. This whole situation has kept up the chatter.
Well that would certainly be better than what it seems like they're doing, imo. But they haven't earned enough benefit of the doubt for me to subscribe to this hypothesis, lol.

I will say , I did think Grace Stockdale did a pretty good line read and does look like she could beat someone up. She looks tough.

But I agree, the dialog is lame and none of these three are gonna be the finalists.

I still think they have someone in mind already and the auditions may be more for publicity than an actual random search for a lead.

Hush blows up Wayne Enterprises. We deal with the fallout throughout the episode.

Hush takes over Wayne's holdings. He refused to be Alice's puppet and took things into his own hands, infuriating Alice. Kate is legally declared dead. Batwoman is fingered as the perpetrator.

Ending is a woman waking up, her face bandaged, with Alice by her side. Alice tells her that she pulled her from the rubble of the batcave and that if anyone was going to kill her, it was going to be her, no one else and it wouldn't be so cliche of a death. Alice unwraps the bandages, before confirming her to be Kate, and telling her sister that she had to pretty much start from scratch on the face. Alice has made her look like a wanted criminal (now being portrayed by Jade Tailor), all to keep her on the run from the police even as Kate, and to force her to work with her (Alice), in getting revenge on Hush.

END.

They're not even trying to hide it. "... please know that LGBTQ+ justice is at the very core of what Batwoman is and we have no intention of abandoning that.”

Can't they just make an awesome show where the main character happens to be gay and it's not a big deal?

It’s only fair to separate the commentary and rhetoric about the series from its actual content. True, the episode about Batwoman coming out had - by definition - a gay theme front-and-center. But for the most part, the show treats sexual orientation as incidental. IOW, it depicts “happens to be gay” in just the way you recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"