Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

They’ve already said she’s going to get a bit of a different costume and that one is just Ruby’s, so I’m sure this is very early on and that she will get her own version rather quickly.

The Wig never looked good and never will.
Hope they try out more, it doesnt need to be the same suit as in season 1.
Especially if they decided on not to make this character Kate, so there is no reason to keep the original suit when its a different person.

I was hoping they’d give her a different wig.

Ei2zf-JU8AAxzEt

Interesting that they are using version 1/1.5 of the cowl with the chin strap thing instead of the last version they used. And they arent giving her the racoon eyes which is a mistake imo.

First images from the set show Javicia Leslie in the cape and cowl

img-0517_x.jpg

img-0611_orig.jpg

The CW knows it cast an african american actress as the new Batwoman right? I don't understand why she has the same suit and same white woman wig here... in some of these photos, she almost looks like a tan Ruby Rose, which imo is a tad bit offensive. They could have easily gone with this sorta look for the cowl's wig
5f06c40a0062a.image.jpg

Or even some curls like this fan art
EcgBWz0VcAAhgte

Can't just cast someone of color in this day and age to appear woke, which is something CW would definitely do, and then doll the actress of color up like she's a white actress. Not a fan at all.

CW, she's black. Embrace it. Ugh..

what does it mean to be black?

To many, many, many people there are so many connotations... so before you get ya knickers in a twist, she is Batwoman... the story is about that, not the colour of her skin.. relax....

Not to mention that this is just her starting out. We already know she steals Kates costume so there is no reason for it to be drastically different.

If they go with another wig, I dont want it looking anything like Starfires. But in the end, it's a wig, its supposed to help with the concealing of identity.
8685b66e346a86af554d07e245af4a33.jpg

I don't think that mask works for her. If they're updating it, either the open mouth area should be larger (show her full cheekbones) or smaller.

Plus, you might be surprised at how many black women are actually wearing wigs.

I don't think that mask works for her. If they're updating it, either the open mouth area should be larger (show her full cheekbones) or smaller.

I think they will. Ruby went through 4 different variations very quickly.
4cowls_1_1.jpg

She should get a curly orange clown wig.

It really bugs me that her nose-piece doesn't come down further. All the modern Batman cowls have.

Its a bit weird, but i kind of like it.
My biggest problem continues to be the hair, in every version of the suit...it looks bad.

The hair has never bothered me, as I've always assumed it was supposed to be unnatural-looking and clearly a wig, and I just associate that bold red color with the character at this point thanks to the imagery of the comics, but the nose piece, on the hand? Yeah, that bugs me, lol.

The solution? A clown red nose in addition to a clown wig. She can begin transitioning into the clown princess of crime.

upload_2020-9-27_10-20-1.png

This would be a good alternative for Ryan when she fully comes into her own. Keeps the theme, the wig (even though its a lacefront), just something more of her own.

They could've had a mannequin instead of Ruby Rose last season. Wouldn't have been any stiffer.

They could've made her Kathy Duquesne from Batman Mystery Of The Batwoman animated movie. I think her situation is more interesting. I think the costume is more interesting looking as well:

Batman_Mystery_of_Batwoman_8866.jpg
Tiffany is as much a nobody and OC as Ryan. Just because she made her debut in the comics first doesn't mean that she's automatically superior.
Tiffany would have a personal connection to the group already.
We know that eventually both Kate & Ryan, and evening Bruce will have to form up and follow Batiris. ;)
? I think Iris hasn't done much.

Last edited:
I think they will. Ruby went through 4 different variations very quickly.
4cowls_1_1.jpg
I just.. I find this look very jarring... is it a wig over the cowl? glued to the helmet? I admit I don't read the comics or know the character too well... but purely as an outsider looking in, it's just... I dunno, derivative..

Kate Kane doesn't come across in that show as an overtly sexual woman... but the costume is... she also seems and the show runners seem to be all over this too, that she is a feminist... I can't see a feminist pandering to males this way...

If anything, how they did it in 66 is way better, have the wig flow from under the cowl at the back...
Honestly, I always felt the Schumacher 'batgirl' style was way better...like a female
robin, however, times change and I feel like a great middle round is a batman beyond style suit, with curves of a female...

Heck, this mania looks great..b7c9f87e7dfb9a2e9270d920265558c6.jpg

Batwoman started out as Barbara transitioning from Batgirl to Batwoman thus the design. DC wouldn't allow it so they brought in Kate Kane and used the design but decided that she'd be the total opposite under the cowl thus the hair became a wig.

They want to differentiate her from Batgirl so having the hair coming from behind the cowl would be to similar. Im pretty sure its just a wig attached to the cowl.

In a fight if someone pulls her hair, won't her wig come off?

In a fight if someone pulls her hair, won't her wig come off?

If it does, it doesnt hurt her at all. But we all know pulling of hair doesnt take place in comics or tv. Black Canary spent half of her publication in a wig.

I said what I said in regards to my reaction to the new Batwoman reveal, Hollywood is known for "whitening" black actresses, especially on networks like the CW. Even Letitia Wright has spoken on these types of issues in Hollywood

And the fact like @Dark Raven is sarcastically joking about her having a clown wig is not funny at all. Look, Kate Kane/Batwoman has had a red wig as a part of her costume since she was introduced, it has been used to disguise Kate Kane even more so from her real identity, and the more recent comics and the Ruby Rose episodes play that up. As a network, CW chose to seek a black actress for this role, whether it was for clout or wokeness who knows. But they should embrace the fact that they have a black Batwoman by altering the suit towards a black woman's attributes, specifically Javicia's. What does that look like? Artwork from fans that are excited for a black Batwoman is online, it's out there. That's what they should go with.
jim-lee-javisia-leslie-batwoman-header.jpg

It just looks like they wanted a black actress for appearance's sake, which wouldn't be all too surprising, unfortunately.

I said what I said in regards to my reaction to the new Batwoman reveal, Hollywood is known for "whitening" black actresses, especially on networks like the CW. Even Letitia Wright has spoken on these types of issues in Hollywood

And the fact like @Dark Raven is sarcastically joking about her having a clown wig is not funny at all. Look, Kate Kane/Batwoman has had a red wig as a part of her costume since she was introduced, it has been used to disguise Kate Kane even more so from her real identity, and the more recent comics and the Ruby Rose episodes play that up. As a network, CW chose to seek a black actress for this role, whether it was for clout or wokeness who knows. But they should embrace the fact that they have a black Batwoman by altering the suit towards a black woman's attributes, specifically Javicia's. What does that look like? Artwork from fans that are excited for a black Batwoman is online, it's out there. That's what they should go with.
jim-lee-javisia-leslie-batwoman-header.jpg

It just looks like they wanted a black actress for appearance's sake, which wouldn't be all too surprising, unfortunately.

You're basing it all of her first appearance which has already been confirmed that she steals Kates costume.But them not changing out the wig in her first appearance as Batwoman doesnt make them look any thing imo. We've seen Ryan in action and they aren't pulling an Iris so that is already an improvement. They are allowing her to rock her curls.

You're basing it all of her first appearance which has already been confirmed that she steals Kates costume.But them not changing out the wig in her first appearance as Batwoman doesnt make them look any thing imo. We've seen Ryan in action and they aren't pulling an Iris so that is already an improvement. They are allowing her to rock her curls.

I'll wait and see, but representation matters. You want black little girls to feel like they can love themselves and the natural curls they have, and just imagine the importance of a figure like Batwoman to represent them in that way. It would be huge. Just look at all these articles on the importance of embracing black hair for black women in Black Panther, they knew represenation mattered, they knew the mission they had for black youth & self love, especially in 2020.

Why Everyone in Black Panther Wears Natural Hair
How ‘Black Panther’ Got Its Gorgeous Afrocentric Hair
Black Panther, black women, and the politics of black hair
"Black Panther" is a love letter to natural hair and Black women

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija