BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Binker, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

And just like that, I am over this season of Batwoman already.

If you are going to mold a show around a black actress and spend all this money into a production, it's high time you cater to her and give her the tools that she needs. Presentation is EVERYTHING. These studios really haven't learned that if you have black people in these roles, then you should hire black hair stylists, black costumers, to make an actress already as beautiful as Javicia, even more beautiful as possible. There is no reason to give her that gaudy, stupid looking red wig if you have a black woman with her skin tone playing her. It detracts from her and makes her an eyesore to be honest.

But it's Hollywood. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Mani-Man and DCnightwing23 like this.
  2. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It was never said that it didnt matter. The looks of Black Panther are also a lot different from the look of Batwoman, just as she is different from Vixen or Thunder/Lightning.

You're already over something that isnt even fully developed yet. It isnt like we are still haflway through the season, they are still on episode 1. Kate took Bruces outfit and made it hers, its already been stated that Ryan will take Kates costume and make it hers. Batwoman is also half of the character, how they treat Ryans look outside of it is also important.

3. DCnightwing23 Registered

I look forward to seeing what they ultimately do with Leslie in the role, if they wanted a better reaction to her in the suit, they should have revealed in her actual suit from the get-go. Ultimately, this is the reaction I had.

While yes, Black Panther has a different look, representing black women, and embracing them should be relatively the same. That was a big thing in Black Panther, representing black women of all skin tones, embracing black women's natural curls, etc. That representation is now on CW's shoulders the minute they chose to cast a black woman in the role. Batwoman has been white throughout her entire existence in the comics, when you choose to cast a black woman in the role you now have to add that representation into the character and so far it appears that has not happened. Again, this goes back to what Letitia Wright has said and what is known, but this industry and certain networks are known to undercut blackness, particularly for black women. CW has been called out recently by black actresses because the network uses black actors/actress to appear woke or to appeal to poc.

Riverdale Actress Vanessa Morgan Criticizes the Show’s Depiction of Black People
    The CW Actresses Asking for More, And Getting It

I will definitely wait and see as I feel a black Batwoman that the black community can look up to is so important and powerful, I just don't know if the CW is the right network to get that representation right. We'll see.

4. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The CW didnt choose to release a first image. The actress herself released her first image and paparazzi released photos from set. This isnt a new series, she is taking over for someone else and they are trying to do a transition.

I know TheCW is not the go to child for black representation but people are also choosing to ignore Black Lightning as if it doesnt exist in the superhero realm or at all. We havent even seen the first episode so trying to judge the entire season by a wig that she is in half of her screen time, aint helping anything. What we can speak on is that the actress has said that the outfit will evolve and be adapted for Ryan, that she has collaborated with the show runner about the characters look both in suit and outside of suit.

DCnightwing23 likes this.
  5. Holy Slapper Registered

Holy overreaction, Batman!

6. fan4stic Registered

If someone is told to wear a wig for a show, black or white, I think of that as being part of their job. If they don't want to do that, I see them as not wanting to do a part of their job. They're actors. If they expect to not change their look to fit what the studio is looking for, why be an actor?

7. DCnightwing23 Registered

This is such a tone-deaf comment. But okay.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  8. fan4stic Registered

I think of it like I get a job at a warehouse and don't like being asked to lift something. It's a job.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  9. Sithborg The Pink Devil

On the flip side, as the employer, do you think it is their responsibility to hire a hairdressor that is able to deal with the needs a black woman's hair requires? Because it seems to me that a lot of the complaints are not all about the hair style they are asked to present, but that they are stuck with hairdressers who do not have experience with black women's hair.

10. fan4stic Registered

If they have that as a criticism, I think that's fair for someone to have. Personally, I don't know what those issues would be or why that would be an issue, so I won't assume.

11. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Hair straigtening, from what little I've heard about it, does not sound like a pleasant process. Which is why China Anne McClain likely goes for wigs on Black Lightning. And probably more black woman than you know.

12. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

A lot of them are tone-deaf and just don't get it. But then when you start making sense, it's an overreaction.

13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It's about keeping the hair healthy and you have to treat it with care (not to mention that China keeps a very low fro irl). But Black Lightning embraces who their actresses are and doesnt force them into the usual CW hair norm. Hair in general on television has become very "what style can we easily keep up with" compared to 90s/00s where they changed up the styles a lot more.

Sithborg likes this.
  14. Vaibow Registered

Yet we have Cardi B as the poster child for black women.... the amount of kids that look up to her is unreal and you lot are all complaining about a wig?? take your energy elsewhere....

15. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

16. DCnightwing23 Registered

Your post is blatantly offensive. This is not about a wig, this is about representation, which networks like CW have not done a good job at, they like to appear woke, yet even the black actresses on the network have called them out. If you are going to consistently cast black women on your networks to draw in black audiences, how about you embrace their blackness and not water/whiten it down as has been done consistently in the past.

Shinobi Shaw and Primal Slayer like this.
  17. samsnee Ok

Hate it. Give her a different wig

18. Vaibow Registered

Sorry, thought I was watching Batwoman, not blackwoman...

What does the current costume Ruby Rose wore scream out 'whiteness' to you?
    Honestly, demands to change the costume to appeal to black audiences... listen you yourself.

Here's an idea, wait until you see the show, wait until you watch the actress... then complain if the portrayal isn't black enough.

Right now, she is wearing Kate Kane's costume and wig... that's it.

19. SuperRouth Registered

20. Thome216 Registered

As it is, this looking like just a redo of the first season.
    Batman(woman) is missing. Big mystery.
    Another character steps up.
    Wearing the same costume, before it is finally redone in order to suit the new hero.
    Big reveal.
    I saw it before, last year, and now they want me to watch it again.

But I just don't feel anything for this character. And I know it is early yet, but the series was brought about as a vehicle for Kate Kane, and now I'm like, so what? By not simply recasting the character, all plots from the first season have now lost any connectivity with the heroine. Alice is now just a bad guy without the critical tie-in to Kate that made the dynamic work.

I'll give it a shot, but I've lost most of my interest in it. Which is a shame, as Batwoman was my favorite of the CW shows, even Supergirl! I never figured that would happen.:wow:

It's a shame they hadn't just recast Kate Kane and been done with it.

And I know, it's way past now, but that's how long since I've visited this site.:D

wwkirk and Primal Slayer like this.
  21. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Hopefully for Season 3, the mystery of the Batwoman will be that Ryan Wilder goes missing and another one steps in wearing Wilder's costume until she modifies it herself. :o

Vaibow likes this.
  22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It'll definitely be interesting to see how they re-tie all of the S1 characters to Ryan and vice versa. Especially when it comes to Alice, it could change her dynamic with Mary. I also wonder what they'll do with the Bruce Wayne plot. are they just dropping it now? No one whose still around really ever knew him like Kate did. And will they ever address the rest of the Batfamily or do they just not exist.

23. Thome216 Registered

Just had a bad thought as to a tie-in. A flashback will explain any connection Wilder has/had to the Batwoman, such as Batwoman failing to save Wilder's family or some such, and now Wilder wants to take on the cowl in order to do a better job. :o

That's the problem with making an entirely new character rather than just recasting, almost every single personal connection that made the drama work has been severed!:wall:

Sadly, I can see that happening. :argh:

But who knows, maybe by episode 2 or 3 it'll be clicking along and we'll have happily forgotten all about this.

24. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Still want something like this.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  25. Dr. From parts unknown

And... production is back on hold:

Production In Vancouver On Pause Over COVID-19 Test Results Delays – Deadline

"… a slew of series from multiple studios, including Riverdale, A Million Little Things, Charmed, Batwoman, The Mighty Ducks, Nancy Drew and Maid, have been idle for several days now or are in the process of shutting down because of delays of as much as 72+ hours in receiving COVID-19 test results for their casts and crew. Shows that had been scheduled to start this week, including The Flash, Supergirl and DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, have been pushed."