• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Age of Extinction Bay, Spielberg in active talks with Hasbro regarding 4th TF film

Really? They want to bring Bay back?

*Sigh*

I really thought Bay was going to redeem himself with TF 3, he brought in some great new bots, and the storyline seemed solid, after doing brilliantly with TF1, which is still a great film in my eyes, I had confidence he would do it again with TF3, but the movie was very dissapointing.

I didnt even mind ROTF as much as some did so was happy with Bay coming back for TF3, but now, I dont want him back, he simply has ruined too many good characters for me, with Shockwave and Megatron being the last straws in TF3.

Now there's news on the front page about shooting 4 & 5 back to back and that Jason Statham might star.

Statham? The guy's been in a lot of crappy action movies nowadays -- having him in two CGI-heavy Bay films would be overkill.

If they're going to continue with human protagonists, why not hire a fresh and likeable unknown instead? Someone who can be an effective foil for Optimus Prime.

Statham's an interesting choice. But the idea I smell in there, a person who's actually good with Transformers, sounds very, VERY cool. Think Transporter with Giant Robots. Perhaps this is where they'll bring in the idea of a transformer-like vehicle being created (I can't remember what it was called, but I've seen it in G1 or G2), that has a pilot. Perhaps as an intermediary, perhaps as the government's answer to the Cybertronians. Heck, make it out of Jazz's body.

That role, which is basically the Transporter, is all but ideal for Statham. He could pwn it utterly. He doesn't need, and doesn't have the biggest range, but he has the charisma for that kind of man-with-no-name character. Certainly capable of being a foil for Optimus, more capable than a kid of being on equal footing with the legend.

EDIT:
By the by, a two-picture in one deal stinks of Unicron and Galvatron, imho. Add in the Cybernetic Exosuit "Transporter" and Bay's action junkie explosions, and you might have yourself a real party.

Last edited:
I'd prefer a reboot even as someone who enjoyed the previous trilogy, but I do think the potential is there for a continuation. Obviously there's Galvatron, as well as more obscure guys from the comics such as Straxus and Thunderwing, that they can use for a new Decepticon leader.

I do hope though, that if this pans out, that Bay returns only in a producer capacity. Regardless of whether or not its a sequel or reboot, I think its time for a new director.

Statham's an interesting choice. But the idea I smell in there, a person who's actually good with Transformers, sounds very, VERY cool. Think Transporter with Giant Robots. Perhaps this is where they'll bring in the idea of a transformer-like vehicle being created (I can't remember what it was called, but I've seen it in G1 or G2), that has a pilot. Perhaps as an intermediary, perhaps as the government's answer to the Cybertronians. Heck, make it out of Jazz's body.

That role, which is basically the Transporter, is all but ideal for Statham. He could pwn it utterly. He doesn't need, and doesn't have the biggest range, but he has the charisma for that kind of man-with-no-name character. Certainly capable of being a foil for Optimus, more capable than a kid of being on equal footing with the legend.

EDIT:
By the by, a two-picture in one deal stinks of Unicron and Galvatron, imho. Add in the Cybernetic Exosuit "Transporter" and Bay's action junkie explosions, and you might have yourself a real party.

I think it'd be a mistake to have Statham take lead role myself. In large part because I think the film would end up to much of a shoot-'em-up flick and lose that sense awe that a TF film should have.

Plus, I don't think he'd be as effective as the audience's eyes as the Sam Witwicky character was. I'd say bring in Chip Chase from the G1 cartoon as the new main human character, with Statham serving as Duhamel's replacement.

Someone was saying that they may go with the subplot of Autobots assisting human special forces with their missions, which would make Statham one of said special force.

I think it'd be a mistake to have Statham take lead role myself. In large part because I think the film would end up to much of a shoot-'em-up flick and lose that sense awe that a TF film should have.

Plus, I don't think he'd be as effective as the audience's eyes as the Sam Witwicky character was. I'd say bring in Chip Chase from the G1 cartoon as the new main human character, with Statham serving as Duhamel's replacement.

I know Bay's not a narrative genius, but I just don't see him doing a 2.0 version of the same character arcs. There has to be some switch up, to keep it interesting for him, and to avoid the insinuation of a lesser reproduction. I agree Statham on his own, doesn't work as well as a teenage boy to capture certain demos, but I don't think he can turn Bay!TF into any more of a shoot 'em up than it already is. The limitation at this point is budget, not narrative.

I don't doubt there will be a Witwicky character, someone for kids to latch onto. But if they're casting the action part first, that tells me that that role has more importance now, a change I only welcome because we've seen it the other way around already and those actors aren't coming back.

Another odd note: all of Statham's good movies involve him being, primarily, a driver, and a combatant second.

Oh God no. Please Bay, be a man of your word and DO NOT come back for any more movies.

I watched DOTM for the second time a few days ago and the ending hour of action was so boring. I really do believe that Bay has adult ADD and he's better when what he directs are short and to the point, like car commericals.

I don't what actors they pick as long as Optimus and company are back.

I don't wanna jump on any bandwagons here, but can we at least agree that the masses enjoyed DOTM?

I don't wanna jump on any bandwagons here, but can we at least agree that the masses enjoyed DOTM?

I would agree that a lot of people paid money to watch the movie. That's as far as I'm going.

I think it was a nice flick, but it didn't really feel like an ending to the series. There are still loose ends regarding their universe.

I think it was better than ROTF. I don't feel like there is much coherence between all three film to have any loose ends tied up.

From his website:

I am currently not talking to Paramount on T4 and T5 despite reports. I'm looking at a lot of possibilities coming my way right now weighing options. Most likely going to be doing the low budget Pain and Gain, a true story crime thriller. It's a very quick shoot and quite funny. Also just finishing the 3 disc set of the Transformer trilogy.

Michael

From his website:

I am currently not talking to Paramount on T4 and T5 despite reports. I'm looking at a lot of possibilities coming my way right now weighing options. Most likely going to be doing the low budget Pain and Gain, a true story crime thriller. It's a very quick shoot and quite funny. Also just finishing the 3 disc set of the Transformer trilogy.

Michael

Didn't he say that same thing before Transformers 3? They may as well bring him back, the audience seem to like what he brings to the franchise. As for me I wish they would reboot it with a better director but I doubt they will tamper with what's working. Oh how I wish people would have higher standards for these films like they do with others films.

Bay is just playing hard to get so he can negotiate for more money.

Worked for him so far.

I bet the studio will pay him whatever he ask for since TF3 hit the billion dollar mark.

I hope they make another, I still think there's so much they can do with the story. As much as I dislike Bay's inconsistent approaches to storytelling at times, he has invigorated the Transformers franchise again and he may as well finish off "his" story before they reboot the franchise or put a new director on the helm.

I'm not sure about Jason Statham. Big fan of the guy, but he just doesn't feel right for Transformers ......... he's very grim and serious in most of his roles. I think the lead will need a little bit of the brevity which Shia Labeouf has. Perhaps someone like Aaron Johnson.

Story wise, they need to go big. We've now had 3 films with (basically) Optimus Prime facing off against a similarly powerful nemesis. Megatron first, the Fallen second, and then the third time they added a little twist and made it an Autobot - Optimus' old mentor, Sentinel Prime. Having yet another enemy with a similar power level to Optimus won't add any tension to TF4, we'll just expect them to get beaten right from the start.

What I would do ........ ?

Have the Autobots take Megatron's body (and any other dead Decepticons from TF3) and eject them far out into space. They dumped him in the ocean at the end of TF1 and that didn't work, so this time they're employing a more permanent solution.

Meanwhile, somewhere out in the vastness of space, have Unicron floating aimlessly, searching for the Matrix - the only thing which can destroy him - but having no idea where it is. Suddenly his sensors are prickled by the anomalies and disturbances in time/space caused by Sentinel Prime opening the space bridge at the end of TF3. He heads towards Earth, and en route detects the bodies of Megatron and his cronies.

He rebuilds them into Galvatron and his lieutenants, and sends them ahead of him to Earth - as his eyes and ears - and to tell the Autobots to surrender the Matrix to him.

The autobots facing off against Galvatron and co could make up the bulk of TF4, with Unicron arriving at the end ........ and TF5 focusing on their battle against Unicron himself and exploring Unicron's history some more. We'll have to assume many of the Joe Public audience (and perhaps even the Autobots in the film) are not familiar with Unicron and his backstory will need to be told.

Last edited:
I have said it throughout this series, but I am not eager to see Unicron what-so-ever, as a villain he just isnt that interesting to me, i'd say Galvatron is more interesting. I would prefer we got Thunderwing who in the comics was responsible for the final distruction of Cybertron which virtually made the planet uninhabitable.

He was that powerful Megatron teamed up with Optimus to take him down first time, but in the comics story Stormbringer he comes back with the help of Bludgeon, this story would make an amazing movie and I hope this the route they take.

I would agree that a lot of people paid money to watch the movie. That's as far as I'm going.

a movie doesnt get to the number 4 spot all time if people didnt enjoy it. If the masses didnt like this movie it wouldnt have made so much.

I won't be the snooty film buff regarding this, because I won't even front, my dad and me went to go see every single one of these ****ing flicks, and we had fun doing it. That's like the only thing we really bond over, is sci-fi stuff and cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"