BBC Adapting J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy"

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/03/j-k-rowlings-casual-vacancy-bbc/
J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' coming to television
by Erin Strecker

J.K. Rowling’s novel The Casual Vacancy will be turned into a television series on BBC One, the BBC announced today with a release on their website. The novel, which received mixed reviews, centers around a local election in Pagford after a sudden death.

“I’m thrilled that the BBC has commissioned The Casual Vacancy. I always felt that, if it were to be adapted, this novel was best suited to television and I think the BBC is the perfect home,” Rowling said in a press release. Rowling also said that she would be collaborating on the series, which does not yet have a set amount of episodes. It is expected to air in 2014.

“We are thrilled to bring JK Rowling’s extraordinary tapestry of modern Britain to the screen,” said Ben Stephenson, the controller of BBC drama, in the same release. “It’s a book of such richness that through humour, social commentary and above all fantastic characters, that says something insightful and entertaining about the country we live in.”

There are no plans as of yet to air the series in the States.
I actually have yet to read this one, but I'm hoping to soon. Considering the billion dollar franchise her last books have spawned, I shouldn't be surprised that they snatched this one so quick.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/hbo-bbc-miniseries-j-k-rowling-book-the-casual-vacancy/
HBO To Co-Produce BBC Miniseries Based On J.K. Rowling Book ‘The Casual Vacancy’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

HBO has come on board as co-producer of BBC’s miniseries adaptation of novel The Casual Vacancy, from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. The three-hour mini, written by Sarah Phelps (EastEnders), produced by Ruth Kenley-Letts (The Hour) and to be directed by Jonny Campbell (In the Flesh), will begin production this summer in South West England. Published in 2012, Casual Vacancy centers on Pagford, a seemingly idyllic English village with a cobbled market square and ancient abbey. Behind the pretty façade, however, is a town at war: Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils. The three-part mini is produced by Bronte Film and Television, the independent production company run by Rowling and Neil Blair, who is executive producing with Paul Trijbits (Saving Mr. Banks) and Rick Senat.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/mic...owling-hbo-bbc-miniseries-the-casual-vacancy/
Michael Gambon Leads Cast Of J.K. Rowling’s HBO/BBC Miniseries ‘The Casual Vacancy’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Harry Potter star Michael Gambon is reuniting with the author on whose books the movies were based, J.K. Rowling. Gambon will topline the HBO/BBC three-part miniseries The Casual Vacancy, the adaptation of Rowling’s follow-up book to the Harry Potter series. Also starring in the mini are Keeley Hawes (Line Of Duty), Rory Kinnear (Skyfall), Monica Dolan (Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa), Julia McKenzie (Notes On A Scandal), and Rufus Jones (Bil). Directed by Jonny Campbell from a script by Sarah Phelps, Casual Vacancy centers on Pagford, a seemingly idyllic English village with a cobbled market square and ancient abbey. Behind the pretty façade, however, is a town at war: rich vs. poor, teenagers vs. parents, wives vs. husbands, teachers vs. pupils. Gambon plays Howard Mollison, owner of the Pagford delicatessen; Dolan plays Tess Wall; McKenzie plays Howard’s wife, Shirley Mollison; Jones plays Howard’s son, Miles Mollison; Hawes plays Miles’ wife, Samantha Mollison; and Kinnear plays Barry Fairbrother. Also cast in the project are Simon McBurney (Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy) as Tess’ husband, Colin Wall; Keeley Forsyth (Coronation Street) as Terri Weedon; newcomer Abigail Lawrie as Terri’s daughter, Krystal Weedon; Richard Glover (A Field In England) as Simon Price; Marie Critchley (In The Flesh) as Simon’s wife, Ruth Price; and Michelle Austin (Secrets & Lies). Casting of several other roles continue, with filming scheduled to begin July 7 in South West England. The mini is being produced by Bronte Film and Television, the independent production company run by Rowling and Neil Blair, who is executive producing with Paul Trijbits and Rick Senat. Ruth Kenley-Letts is producing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"