Beast

I'm always down for good old fashioned survival horror/thriller, especially if its going to be in the vein of The Shallows which is one of the best shark films ever made and with Idris Elba as the lead.

I just hope they actually use a real lion, because after sitting through the trash that was Rogue with Megan Fox I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did go the cheap route have it be all CGI.

Idris Elba Movie ‘Beast’ Adds Trio, Production Starts In South Africa – Deadline

South African actor Sharlto Copley, Iyana Halley and Leah Sava Jeffries have joined the Idris Elba Universal-Will Packer movie Beast, which started production in South Africa.

Elba stars as Dr. Nate Samuels, a recently widowed husband who returns to South Africa, where he first met his wife, on a long-planned trip with their teenage daughters to a game reserve managed by an old family friend and wildlife biologist. But what begins as a journey of healing jolts into a fearsome fight for survival when a rogue lion, a survivor of blood-thirsty poachers who now sees all humans as the enemy, begins stalking them.

Sharlto Copley (Russian Doll series, Maleficent) co-stars as Nate Samuels’ old friend, Martin Battles. Halley (The Hate U Give, This Is Us series) plays Samuels’ 18-year-old daughter, Meredith, and Jeffries (Rel series, Empire series) plays his 13-year-old, Norah.

Beast, directed by Baltasar Kormákur, will be filmed entirely in South Africa during a 10-week shoot in the rural provinces of Limpopo and Northern Cape and in the city of Cape Town. The feature is working in collaboration and cooperation with South African production services company Known Associates Entertainment (KAE) and with South Africa’s Department of Trade Industry and Competition (DTIC).

Beast Footage Reaction: Idris Elba Punches A Lion In The Face [CinemaCon 2022]

In the footage from "Beast," Elba's character says, "This is my chance to reconnect with the girls." It won't be that simple.

He's brought his two teenage daughters out into the African bush, and while the three are on the road, odd things start happening. They come across a bloody man who says the word, "Devil." He's clearly been attacked. Sharlto Copley's character says, "I've never seen anything like this," referring to multiple lion attacks without the prey being killed.

Then a giant freakin' lion comes out of nowhere and chases Elba's character, who barely makes it back to the car before the big cat smashes into the door. That car seems to have been crashed, and might not even be operational. Uh, oh! It's feels a bit like "Cujo," with them trapped in the car while the predator lurks outside.

"We're in his territory now," Copley's character says. "It's the law of the jungle." Elba's character says he's got to get his girls out of there. At one point in the footage, Elba's character and Copley's, along with the girls, are surprised at night with some men with guns. We see a cool shot of someone getting sucked up into the sky after stepping on a trap, and it appears to be one of these men, while another one ends up getting taken out by the lion.

In the final shot, Elba's character punches a lion in the face, which feels like it's worth the price of admission.

Read More: Beast Footage Reaction: Idris Elba Punches A Lion In The Face [CinemaCon 2022]

Trailer was meh...I'll see how I feel closer to release. Just reminds me a lot of The Ghost and the Darkness.

It looks alright, but I'm a sucker for films like this so I'll definitely check it out some point. I do love that Sharlto Copley is in this though with what looks like to be a pretty significant role. It does remind me a lot of The Ghost and the Darkness too, but I enjoy that movie quite a bit so it's not a big problem honestly.

Oh hey, haven't seen Sharlto in a while.

Looks fun enough, I'll probably go see it in theaters since there'll be nothing else to watch.

Ghost and the Darkness very underrated.

As much as I wish this looked good because of Idris and Sharlto, it looks very MOR. Don't really need to see a big CG lion chasing people.

Nice to see it’s getting some good reviews I’ll be checking it out.

This was a fun little thriller. The lion certainly lived up to expectations and was a constant threat. Some really good jump scares and the CGI was really good throughout.

Unfortunately it was just marred by characters doing to totally stupid things. I mean a wild lion is after you and you don't close the doors after entering a building?

Still worth watching but some eye rolling moments unfortunately.

6.5/10

Saw this when it came out was bored the whole damn movie. Like this just wasn’t good I forgot I’d even seen it til I saw this thread. Perhaps could’ve been good if it was just a movie with Idris and Sharlto.

The film was ok. Another rampaging African lion movie like The Ghost And The Darkness and Rogue to add to the cannon I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"