Beijing to Raze Nieghborhoods for Olympics.

Darthphere

Kneel before 'Drox!
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060422/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_beijing_demolitions

Sat Apr 22, 4:33 AM ET

BEIJING - Beijing's mayor has called for a speeding up of the demolition of impoverished neighborhoods in China's capital as part of preparations for the 2008 Olympics, the state-run Beijing Daily reported Saturday.
ADVERTISEMENT

On a tour of one area in the process of being razed Friday, Mayor Wang Qishan told officials and construction workers that demolishing the dilapidated neighborhoods is an essential task this year and that the work must be accelerated, the newspaper said.

Beijing is undergoing a thorough makeover for the 2008 Games, spending an estimated $40 billion to put up sporting venues, lay down new roads and subway lines, build residential communities in the suburbs and beautify the often gray, polluted capital.

Part of the effort targets poorer areas known as "inner city villages" — where many homes were built illegally and many of whose residents are rural migrants.

The Beijing Daily, the authoritative newspaper of the city's Communist Party committee, said about a third of these areas designated for destruction have been torn down, with the rest to be finished by year's end.

"This work is full of significance in strengthening the environment, building a livable city and realizing the strategic plan of a 'New Beijing, Great Olympics,'" the newspaper quoted Wang as saying.

All I gotta say is, good choice IOC.:up:

Part of the effort targets poorer areas known as "inner city villages" — where many homes were built illegally and many of whose residents are rural migrants.

Something tells me they were looking for an excuse to take these out.

They have a lot of work to do by next year. Crazy, why would they allow them to host if they couldn't accommodate.

I stayed in Milan for the winter Oylmpics in Torino. It was a 45 min trek to get to Torino. Surrounding areas need to be able to handle the overflow for sure. This should be very interesting, aren't they over populated, too.

If they're razing villages, then what's the problem? They get the Olympics and new homes.:confused:

*Waits to get flamed when someone thinks I'm serious*

The Lumberjack said:
If they're razing villages, then what's the problem? They get the Olympics and new homes.:confused:

Liberal.:confused: :confused: :confused:

The Lumberjack said:
If they're razing villages, then what's the problem? They get the Olympics and new homes.

I'm assuming that was a razing/raising joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"