BvS Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea seriously, it would be beyond words if he really nails it. i cannot wait till the suit reveal and our first glimpses of him acting as batman

Even giving Affleck the benefit of the doubt, how likely do you think it'll be that his performance as Batman will ultimately amount to his performance as Daredevil, but with a few changes? That seems to be the big fear of the anti-Batfleck contingent.

Even giving Affleck the benefit of the doubt, how likely do you think it'll be that his performance as Batman will ultimately amount to his performance as Daredevil, but with a few changes? That seems to be the big fear of the anti-Batfleck contingent.
Given that it was ten years ago, I'd be highly shocked if it approached that sort of territory. Not only because it would be a repeat performance (which I'm sure he wants to avoid), but he's grown far more as a man and actor. Perhaps most importantly however, this is arguably his most important role to date. All eyes on him, especially the whole of geekdom who he's already in bad graces with.

All things considering, this amounts to immense pressure in delivering something fresh and unexpected. I can't be sure, but Ben certainly has the makings of a potentially epic comeback for his fanboy reputation.

Yeah. I never liked Affleck's acting even though i liked his personality outside of movies and found him funny in Kevin Smith's flicks. He's a good writer, a good director. And now he's come to be a solid actor with the right script. With Batman i think he can accentuate his positives but hide the negatives.

He'll shine more when he directs himself for a solo.

Batman vs Superman should be a launching pad.

I think on some level every Batfan has to be rooting for Affleck, at least a little. Nobody wants to see a bad Batman on screen.

That said, people who express a less than optimistic outlook in a reasonable way shouldn't be lumped in with foaming at the mouth "this will teh suck!" crowd. I see the potential for this to be either a stroke of genius or huge misfire.

Yeah. There's a homerun/strikeout element to casting Affleck.

itll be pretty funny if after all the hype and people expecting either an awesome or horrendous performance from Affleck, we simply get a "meh not too great not too bad" performance with nothing to argue about lol

FkvmXMN.jpg

OUxNjHt.gif

itll be pretty funny if after all the hype and people expecting either an awesome or horrendous performance from Affleck, we simply get a "meh not too great not too bad" performance with nothing to argue about lol
But it won't work out that way. A meh performance would be an Oscar worthy achievement for the supporters and a Razzie worthy disaster for the skeptics.

So reactions will be extreme come what may.

I wonder, can anyone think of any casting that was treated similarly?

as in an average actor, who's been in some good films and some really baaad films, whos then taken an unexpected role and completely transformed and proved their critics wrong?

I'm excluding keaton and ledger because I enjoyed them prior to their roles in batman and could at least some potential in their performances.

- afflecks acting thus far has consisted of two modes, cocky *****e or expressionless sad guy, will we prob see the latter with a bit of daredevil growl thrown in?

Last edited:
There are just certain actors geeks love and have disdain for, and it's pretty much ingrained in their heads.

There are just certain actors geeks love and have disdain for, and it's pretty much ingrained in their heads.

I think a lot of it with Affleck for the CB fans is their hatred of the Daredevil movie (which I generally think is a huge over-reaction anyway), and they can't quite seem to get over it, even though It was over ten years ago. I personally don't get it. I mean, take Ben Kingsley for example, even though he's been in more than one really bad movie, he is still generally accepted as a really good, if not great actor. But for some reason, even though he's proved he can be a good actor, people are not willing to look past his poorly chosen films that he's been in. It's not really fair.

While I have hope that the guy will own it as Batman, being exposed to TDKT has left me a bit worried. I just hope that Affleck will have similar nuances in his performance as Batman. I don't want to watch BvS and see Ben Affleck playing Affleck wearing a Hallowe'en costume. I want to see Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne and Batman.

While I have hope that the guy will own it as Batman, being exposed to TDKT has left me a bit worried. I just hope that Affleck will have similar nuances in his performance as Batman. I don't want to watch BvS and see Ben Affleck playing Affleck wearing a Hallowe'en costume. I want to see Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Do you honestly expect that to happen? Let's be realistic here people.

I think a lot of it with Affleck for the CB fans is their hatred of the Daredevil movie (which I generally think is a huge over-reaction anyway), and they can't quite seem to get over it, even though It was over ten years ago. I personally don't get it. I mean, take Ben Kingsley for example, even though he's been in more than one really bad movie, he is still generally accepted as a really good, if not great actor. But for some reason, even though he's proved he can be a good actor, people are not willing to look past his poorly chosen films that he's been in. It's not really fair.
In the interest of fairness, Kingsley doesn't have a high-profile mainstream role (arguably until IM3) which colors his public perception. Affleck's image is compounded by the lukewarm reception of Daredevil, plus his unfortunate public relationship with Jennifer Lopez. It's a lot easier to have a formed opinion of a man (fair or otherwise) if he has a large presence in pop culture.

Some people honestly want him to **** it up so they can be right.

I don't, but I know he won't make a good batman. His best bet would be to use computer engineering to deepen his voice and speak as little as possible. I mean use his eyes and body language to speak for him.

I don't, but I know he won't make a good batman. His best bet would be to use computer engineering to deepen his voice and speak as little as possible. I mean use his eyes and body language to speak for him.
This.

Part of what I loved about Batman Begins was how Batman was depicted as this wraith like figure, a ghost - this would be cool to see

:whatever: Might as well not even watch the movie now.

You don't KNOW any such thing.

In the interest of fairness, Kingsley doesn't have a high-profile mainstream role (arguably until IM3) which colors his public perception. Affleck's image is compounded by the lukewarm reception of Daredevil, plus his unfortunate public relationship with Jennifer Lopez. It's a lot easier to have a formed opinion of a man (fair or otherwise) if he has a large presence in pop culture.

True, but that doesn't make it any less unfair the way they're treating Affleck. If anything it makes it even more unfair.

Do you honestly expect that to happen? Let's be realistic here people.

Again, that's not my expectation since I think he'll do fine, but I'm being cautious as well since Affleck is such an enigma (to me anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"