Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 11

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson apparently words go here, I guess

O'Bannion ftw

2. slumcat

slumcat Well-Known Member

Well things ain't cut out in such a relentlessly simple manner. Its not like the Academy just voted for the film they enjoyed the most, Argo, like very Best Picture winner was a very heavily excessively campaigned movie.

The movie was made WITH an eye at the Oscars. Sure it is mainstream in its appeal, but the Oscars were definitely a part of its conception. A historical drama where Hollywood played a major role? Doesn't get more insider than that.

And the entire strategy of getting it out was with two eyes fully on the gold prize. That it made 200 million does not even matter, regardless of gross it would have been in play because it positioned itself so.

It was sneaked in Oscar hunting ground Telluride. Then premiered to heavy Oscar anticipation in Toronto. And then screened relentlessly for Oscar bloggers and countless Guild Screenings followed by Q & As and receptions and dinners etc.

So Argo is as much an Oscar movie or Oscar bait as The King's Speech is if not more.

3. mjbull23

mjbull23 Beyond Good and Evil

Just really love the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman. Just a brilliant casting decision. No really. I'm serious.

Right then. Cheers.

4. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

However unexpected it was, the casting of Affleck really is terrific.
    With the exception of maybe Guy Pearce, I don't think there's a single other name out there that actually can get me exited about the casting of Batman, but ultimately Ben was the right choice, a good actor, a few Oscars under his utility belt, a huge batman fan, and from the looks of it, is physically huge. As far as I'm concerned, that movie can't get here soon enough.

5. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

I never Said The King's Speech was Oscar bait ,
    But in retrospect,I should have used Silence of The Lambs as an example.
    Not exactly an Oscar Winner at first glance .

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I'm happy with the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman too. I've said this before: I never considered him for the part beforehand, but to be honest I was never particularly married to the notion of any one actor to take the role. I already got my dream Batman in Christian Bale - already one of my favourite actors after giving what was at the time he was cast my single favourite movie performance as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho - who managed to make Batman the most compelling character in his own films again, and who starred in what will likely remain the definitive Batman films for me for quite some time. So whatever Ben Affleck can do with the role is gravy.

7. TheNextNolan22

TheNextNolan22 Hurting Really REALLY BAD

Ben was never among my top choices, but in retrospect, I'm very happy he was chosen. I still believe in the BatFleck.

8. TerryMcGinnis

TerryMcGinnis Batman Beyond

I think as an actor he will do a great job. Basically all of his failures have been linked to generally botched films, which I don't think this one will be by any stretch of the imagination. Worst case scenario, it will be passable.

As far as his face and his frame go, he blows the previous Batman actors out of the water in terms of faithfulness to the source material.

I'm a little bit concerned with his voice, because the pitch of it is a bit high, so it could sound out of place when he's in the batsuit. Then again, they might modify it in post slightly, I just hope it won't end up as butchered as Bale's was.

One thing where I feel Affleck is a slight letdown is his shape. Now, I said that he has a fantastic frame, but from the looks of the latest photos dating back to mid December, it's a pretty safe bet his shape will be far inferior to Cavil's. I know the guy is in his late 40s, but with a frame like that, I'd have expected a bit more. He's lacking in the legs, traps, and upper arms department right now.

I'm pretty sure he can cut down to "The Town" body fat levels or lower until the point they film a shirtless scene, I just don't see how he could fix the aforementioned problem areas until then. Unfortunately they'll have to rely on the suit and camera magic to keep him comparable to Cavil.

I for one think a shirtless scene for Affleck is a must, moreso than it was for Cavil in MoS, since we're dealing with a more experienced Bruce, it's an opportunity to both show off his battle scars (kind of like what they do for Amell on Arrow) and his physical shape.

It would be a nice homage to this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  9. slumcat

Yep. Silence of the Lambs is the perfect example of a film that was made with absolutely no thought about awards and released way early in the year but managed to win ONLY on the strength of its quality.

These days frankly it is a such an affair that you pretty much can't win without campaigning your ass, quality be damned.

10. slumcat

That's an amazing and powerful image. Speaks volumes. I know one actor who could easily bring that image to life - Hugh Jackman. Dunno about Affleck, but he has a really great trainer.

These were the latest images of his I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

He's just about 42 years old. He'll be mid 40s by the time Superman/Batman comes out, but then again, look at Jackman. I think part of the reason he isn't superhuge is because he's filming Gone Girl, and the people advising him are holding him back so that he looks somewhat normal.

""I'm trying to keep him at the size he's at right now until he's done with us," Gone Girl costume designer Trish Summerville told me at the Catching Fire premiere in L.A. "I'm sure he's working out but I think for him, he's probably a guy that builds up really quickly so I just kind of asked him if he can stay where he's at right now."

When he's finished with Gone Girl, he'll probably be PUSHED to his physical limits by his trainer, and I expect to see some results.

12. Kane52630

Kane52630 Something's gotta stop the flow

[​IMG]

13. TerryMcGinnis

Yes, Batman: War on Crime has some really fantastic imagery. Jackman is undoubtedly in exceptional shape, but for bringing Alex Ross' depiction of Batman to life, ironically, I think Affleck has better predispositions, with his barrel chest and wide shoulders. He could become really burly if he put his mind to it. It's a shame he couldn't focus entirely on training for BvS due to his other obligations.

Far as the photos you posted go, yeah, I'd say they're pretty recent. I do think there were a couple of more recent ones but he's been wearing heavier clothes lately so it's a bit hard to tell. His last photos in that white henley, with the beany hat, are what I'm basing most of my concenrns on.

I do hope Rehan Jalali can turn it around for Ben in what time remains before he starts shooting scenes.

Yes, you are right, my mistake, I should have left "late" out of "late 40s". It was only to illustrate the point of age difference between him and Cavil and that it has an undeniable effect on Ben's ability to put on lean muscle mass in a short period of time. Jackman has been building his physique for the better part of the last decade, and started doing it at a much better age for that purpose.

I know he's been busy with Gone Girl, and I'm aware of that quote from the costume designer saying he wants to keep his size more stable. I think it has more to do with constant re-fitting of his clothes and visual continuity than Ben running the danger of looking abnormally large in Gone Girl. In my opinion he's at least 15 lbs short of looking like anything out of the ordinary for a guy his height. He looks like he casually works out, not like he does hardcore training.

But I hope he can push really hard for the remainder of his time before filming to remedy that.

14. TheNextNolan22

TheNextNolan22 Hurting Really REALLY BAD

He has a really naturally athletic build so he won't have to do too much work come next month.

15. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

WHY HE EATIN' PIZZA? BATMAN DON'T EAT PIZZA! PIZZA MAKE BATMAN TEH FAT!!!

#JudgmentalNerd
    #SuperheroPhysiquesAreImportant

16. slumcat

I think the henley photo was before the pizza photo. Atleast that's the order they were posted in the physique thread. So chronologically the pizza image is the latest one I think. Though I could be wrong.

17. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Well-Known Member

I think the more important question is why is he wearing that sweater? :o

18. ArmsHeldOut

ArmsHeldOut Peaky Blinder

This is apparently the latest pic from December.

[​IMG]

19. TerryMcGinnis

Or I could be wrong. But the main takeaway is that for a while he was also looking progressively chubbier (partly due to water retention I guess). I'd say he's gained a fair bit of fat along the way, and there's no way around that. He'll probably start cutting soon. Looking at his face on this photo (December 14th), maybe he already has:

[​IMG]

If that's the case he won't be able to put on much more muscle than he already has at this point.

EDIT: @ArmsHeldOut yeah, that photo illustrates the point about him probably already cutting even better.

Anyway, In my book, if this is more or less his final size, that means a slightly physically underwhelming Batman.

20. georgec

georgec Not a hero

I bet he's in prime time cutting mode right now.

21. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

He will look fine.

22. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

i was watching 'thief' last night, and i marveled at how much ben looks like a young james caan sans balding jew fro.

[​IMG]

23. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

Indeed [​IMG]

24. TerryMcGinnis

Oh I have no doubt he'll look good in the suit, Snyder and the costume department will make damn well sure of it.

25. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Heh... never noticed, but yeah, a little bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.