Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

we're all a little bit racist

I mean that the image of an East Asian intellectual wearing flowing robes and being a criminal mastermind who's activities threaten western military assets is a very old and very racist caricature of people from Asia who hold any kind of authority.

I mean that the image of an East Asian intellectual wearing flowing robes and being a criminal mastermind who's activities threaten western military assets is a very old and very racist caricature of people from Asia who hold any kind of authority.

LOL but we do the same thing with russian and middle easter bad guys now. We aren't less racist, we just charged who we stereotype.

Doesnt the title of this thread need changing.

530611ma1.jpg

smashingo.jpg

The Mandarin isn't an intellectual. He's a savage, more Gorilla Grodd than Fu Machu.

Anyway, I didn't mind the twist at all. It was a fun misdirection, and Aldrich Killian ended up embodying all of the core aspects of The Mandarin from the comics anyway: A nobody filled with bitterness and ambition, who stumbles across a source of power that allows him to fight Iron Man in close quarters combat without a suit, and reinvents himself as a criminal mastermind working through guerrillas and terrorist groups as proxies to amass all of the power and wealth he feels the world owes him. And Guy Pierce played the part very well.

The main difference is that he's a white guy named Aldrich Killian instead of an Asian guy named Gene Khan, which I think is necessary because The Mandarin is a little bit racist let's face it.

You forgot to mention his primary weaponry he wears in all his fingers. The Ten Rings.

530611ma1.jpg

smashingo.jpg

The Mandarin isn't an intellectual. He's a savage, more Gorilla Grodd than Fu Machu.

Depends on what version of the Mandarin you're talking about. Classic Mandarin was more of a brutal Mongol based off of Gangus Khan. The later ones where more relaxed laid back mystical masterminds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"