Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird, I've seen two different sites give entirely two different spins on the Ben Kingsley news. IGN says that an insider source denies he's the Mandarin and The Hollywood Reporter says he will not be the main villain and may yet still be the Mandarin.

It's weird, I've seen two different sites give entirely two different spins on the Ben Kingsley news. IGN says that an insider source denies he's the Mandarin and The Hollywood Reporter says he will not be the main villain and may yet still be the Mandarin.
I read the same articles and believe it's too early to really know what's happening in the IM3 script. Best to wait until they actually start filming.

True. Everything must be taken with a huge grain of salt at the moment.

Could it be a clever marketing strategy - telling us that they don't like the Mandarin, yeah it's possible, but not very likely that he could be in the film...

... but in reality they had the plan to put him in there right from the beginning? They are just playing with us?

Perhaps Kingsley will be a Mandarin-like Middle Eastern character in keeping with Tony's updated movie origin, instead of the standard Asian depiction. Thus they don't wanna say "he's the Mandarin" because if he's Middle Eastern now, it's unlikely he keeps that moniker, it no longer makes sense.

sadly i've seen on a lot of other forums that there are reports that Mandarin is a no go, as it could be considered a really offensive stereo type to Asians( yeah yeah i know) and that markets to big of a cash pot to lose.

yeah like marvel would really have him buck toothed and a bad accent et etc :rolleyes:

Now wait a minute...it's not like they avoided making Ivan Vanko a Russian in IRON MAN 2. Why would they suddenly avoid having The Mandarin be Asian? That strikes me as racism spotting where there is none. There have been PLENTY of Asian, French, German and British vilains that studios have had few issues using over the years. The Mandarin is just one more of them. Why would there suddenly be an issue with this one? The comics have made several adjustments to his themes, origins and nature, and I'd imagine a film would have to do the same, and would.

Now wait a minute...it's not like they avoided making Ivan Vanko a Russian in IRON MAN 2. Why would they suddenly avoid having The Mandarin be Asian? That strikes me as racism spotting where there is none. There have been PLENTY of Asian, French, German and British vilains that studios have had few issues using over the years. The Mandarin is just one more of them. Why would there suddenly be an issue with this one? The comics have made several adjustments to his themes, origins and nature, and I'd imagine a film would have to do the same, and would.

ahh but you see you're using this little known thing called common sense, you need to get with the rest of people who immediately see Asian character and expect bad accent buck teeth and big thick glasses

I agree it's racism spotting where there is none.

Shane Black reportedly feels Mandarin is a 'racist caricature' so if that's true, we can't expect anything remotely like the genuine article.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35196

Last edited:
Better not at all than to get him wrong.

Black needs to read some recent stories with the character, or hell, even watch the Armored Adventures cartoon. The 1994 cartoon, ehhh, not so much.

Better not at all than to get him wrong.

I agree. We don't want a repeat of Spider-man 3. Either hold him back for an Iron Man sequel with someone who is prepared to tackle the character honestly or possibly introduce him in as a villain in a future Avengers sequel (although I would argue that if they did that it would have to be Tony-centric to a point).

Yesterday there was a new article at CBM saying Kingsley would portray "the 'Ten Rings Leader', with certain characteristics altered from the comics" and that there is a new casting call for IM3 looking for actors of " Chinese as well as Middle Eastern descents".

Here is my theory: Ben Kingsley is playing a modified version of The Mandarin, that is more contemporary. He will be Afghani to fit with the Ten Rings of the MCU, and because The Mandarin is a chinese title, they will change his name... I say they should change it to one of his comic book aliases, Gene Khan, Zhang Tong or Tem Borjigin.

This could explain conflicting reports that he is not The Mandarin an that he is... technically, he wouldn't be.

Here is my theory: Ben Kingsley is playing a modified version of The Mandarin, that is more contemporary. He will be Afghani to fit with the Ten Rings of the MCU, and because The Mandarin is a chinese title, they will change his name... I say they should change it to one of his comic book aliases, Gene Khan, Zhang Tong or Tem Borjigin.

This could explain conflicting reports that he is not The Mandarin an that he is... technically, he wouldn't be.

Agreed. Technically, a descendant of Genghis Khan *could* live in Afghanistan, as the Mongols conquered and held the land for centuries.

I'd say to use Gene Kahn alias myself. As that doesn't sound as blatantly Far Eastern as the other ones and could still work even if the characer was now of an Indian or Afghan heritage.

Then they can some throw some off-hand remark using the term "The Mandarin" as they did with Iron Monger and War Machine in IM1 and IM2 respectively.

I'll second that. I'm taking a wait and see approach, myself. Wouldn't be shocked if the actuality is "Mandarin-equivalent from Central Asia, with Extremis-equivalent as power source."

I'm just wondering if Mandarin is for certain at this point or if we're just assuming because the rumour has been reported by quite a few people recently as though it is.

well I'll just assume that everyone saw those pics of a certain Iron Patriot floating about the Net

I don't mind changing Mandarin up to a more modern terrorist archetype. Kingsley sort of fits that bill ethnicity wise. It's not the worst casting decision in terms of changing a character's race. However, I just would have preferred a closer comic book counterpart given how iconic the character is in Iron Man lore. I thought Michael Clarke Duncan worked in Dare Devil because the actor matched the physique and the build of the character, on top of being an established actor. I don't think Kingsley resembles the character in the least bit. But the character is being written simply as a criminal mastermind that does all his work behind the scenes. Perhaps he isn't meant to see action at any point. Kinda lame if you ask me. I just hope we don't get another armored villain at the end. If they are going with cyborgs and nanotechnology, that is something much different than what we have gotten. I just need something a lot more organic as a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"