Best Animated Superhero Film

The fight choreography in Gotham by Gaslight is insane.

Watched this the other day. Very gritty, had a real Sherlock Holmes vibe but
I didn't like the twist with the Ripper, being you know who.
but up until then I was really enjoying it. Still a good watch.

I've always enjoyed DC's elseworlds stories - some of the absolute best D.C. stories are essentially elseworlds ( Dark Knight Returns) and of course the Nail and Red Son.

The fight choreography in Gotham by Gaslight is insane.

Watched this the other day. Very gritty, had a real Sherlock Holmes vibe but
I didn't like the twist with the Ripper, being you know who.
but up until then I was really enjoying it. Still a good watch.

I've always enjoyed DC's elseworlds stories - some of the absolute best D.C. stories are essentially elseworlds : Dark Knight Returns , Kingdom Come and of course the Nail and Red Son.

What I liked about Gotham by Gaslight is that Batman is more of a detective than an action hero which we rarely get in most Batman movies (both in animation and live action).

Transformers the Movie, I've probably watched the most out of all the listed shows.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably my favorite Batman movie.

Return of the Joker is brilliant and is part of the reason why McGinnis is my 2nd favorite Batman over any of the Robins.

Honorable Mention:

The Dark Knight Returns 1 & 2, the final battle between Batman and Clark is a great example of taking a few pages and expanding on it, in a different medium.

Under the Red Hood Batman vs. Jason, intense, graphic and heartbreaking.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised by the lack of Crisis on Infinite Earths isn't there. Batman vs. Owlman.

The Dark Knight Returns should be broken up into Part 1 and Part 2.

Last edited:
Surprised that "The Incredibles" dosen't have more votes.

I voted Spiderverse however my top 5 are:

1. Spiderverse
2. Mask of the Phantasm
3. Transformers The Movie
4. Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2
5. Batman Ninja

Batman Mask of the Phantasm.
Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse.
Dark Knight Returns.
Gotham by Gaslight.
Batman Under the Red Hood.
Incredibles.

Spider-Verse was quality stuff, but Mask of the Phantasm tugged at my heartstrings. Plus it's the goddamn Batman. And the soundtrack turns me into goose flesh.

1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
2. The Lego Batman Movie
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. The Incredibles
5. The Dark Knight Returns

There is a part in Spider-Verse where Peter B Parker is talking about how his life went wrong. He mentions how Sea Horses bond and mate for life. It's meant to be funny, and it is! But after what I've been through in the last year with my daughters mother, it absolutely destroyed me. I was laughing my arse off... then I just burst into tears lol.

In fact I can relate so much to this Peter. And at the end when he can finally go home, but is scared because he's messed everything up, he'd actually rather die than go back. Then Miles is like "you gotta go home, mayne" with that epic score swelling up? Yea, Spider-Verse is the best animated CBM ever. Maybe one of the best CBMs in general.

Last edited:
I have to buck the trend here and say that I thought Spider verse tried a bit too hard in the first half hour and nearly lost me.
Also I found the brutal murder of Peter Parker kind of a jarring departure from the tone of the film - and kind of unnecessary.

Once Doc Ock and the other Spider characters showed up the movie took off. All in all it was good but not great.

Having said all that I don't think Spider Verse holds up to Mask of the Phantasm.

my favorite i liked mostly all of the marvel & dc superheroes Anmited movies

Recently picked up
marvels spider-man into the spider-verse
batman ninja
batman vs teenage mutant ninja turtlers
the death of super man Anmited movie
reign of super man Anmited movie
justice league vs the fatal five

ones i watch:
Stan lees mighty seven
the Avengers heroes of tomorrow the next Avengers
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher
the ultimate Avengers Anmited movie'
the ultimate Avengers 2 rise of black panther
hulk vs thor
hulk vs Wolverine
ironman/ hulk heroes united computer Anmited movie
teen titans judas contract
super man vs ellit
super man unbound
super man all star
super man vs brainiac
wonder women
green lantern first flight
green lantern emerald knights
batman lego heroes united
Batman dark night returns part 1
batman dark night returns part 2
batman under the red hood
batman killing joke
batman return of the caped crusader
batman vs two face '
batman son of batman
batman son of batman batman vs robin
son of batman : bad blood
justice league dark
justice league gods & monsters
justice league doom
justice league world on two crises
justice league war
justice league the flash point
justice league thorn of Atlantis

Mask of the Phantasm by far. I'm afraid I think The Incredibles doesn't hold up, just good rather than very good or better.

Mask of the Phantasm by far. I'm afraid I think The Incredibles doesn't hold up, just good rather than very good or better.

I wonder what makes MOTP such a good film ? Is it the story? The characters? The animation is nothing fancy. But somehow it stays with you.

tumblr_ow98ohdZ0I1rrkahjo6_540.gif

Spider-Verse is a close second for me...

It's a tough call between The Incredibles and Into the Spider-Verse, but I might give the edge to Spider-Man since it's a near-perfect love letter to almost 60 years worth of Spider-Man mythology whereas The Incredibles feels like more of a Bond film than a superhero film for most of the movie.

I wonder what makes MOTP such a good film ? Is it the story? The characters? The animation is nothing fancy. But somehow it stays with you.

I think you are too hard on the animation, but for me i love how much it does to humanize Batman and his quest and how difficult it is for him to put aside his own personal desires to be the hero he feels he needs to be. It is really the characters that drive the film. Bruce/Andrea is probably for my tastes the best love story of any CBM, animated or live-action.

Spiderverse, but I haven't seen a lot of the DC animated films yet.

Flashpoint and both Incredible films are up there for me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"