Best Batman book out now?

Biff Hardbody

Civilian
Reaction score
I'd like to get into a good Monthly Batman title, but it looks like there are tons at the store. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Batman and detective are the best ones to get know.

Right now there's only 5:

All-Star Batman
Batman
Detective Comics
Legends of the Dark Knight
Superman/Batman

The only ones to watch right now are Batman and Detective Comics IMO.
All-Star is not in continuity but if you like Jim Lee or Frank Miller you should try it out.
Superman/Batman has like the title says only 50% Batman and it usually does its own type of stories that doesn't affect other titles much.
Legends of the Dark Knight is usually short arcs by lesser known creators and usually they aren't very good or important to continuity.

As I said I think Batman and Detective are the ones to chose.
Right now they are in a 8-part crossover that explains Batman's status after the events of Infinite Crisis and "the lost year" (all DC titles have skipped ahead one year and there are some mysteries about what has happened in that time). The crossover is written by James Robinson (Starman, JSA).

After that Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert takes over Batman to tell superhero style stories while Paul Dini and Rags Morales is on Detective telling detective style stories (..duh :)). Both of those runs have big potential and should not be missed IMO.

So I suggest you try the crossover to get a handle on Batman's status One Year Later (OYL) and then if you like it continue on the titles.

I would also recommend you pick up Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween in tpb if you haven't read them. They are great Batman stories.

Batman and Detective by far. The current story's jumping back and forth, so grab 'em both.

Thank you very much for the replies. i will get Batman and detective.

Get Detective comics 817, 818 and batman 651. The story goes back and foprth between these two, and i ahve to say it's looking pretty damn awesome

Definetely dont buy all star batman

All-Star Batman is, of course, the greatest Batman comic ever to come out. Frank Miller is a genius and his vision is unmatched. If you don't like it then you just don't understand, and clearly hate Miller simply because you jumped on the bandwagon.

Both Detective and Batman are part of a big 8-parter that is the One Year Later storyline for him.

Basically, after the big event in DC still going on, Infinate Crisis, the DC Universe has jumped ahead one year into the future. Things are slightly different, even if you're well versed in the lore, just because of the missing year (which will be covered in the big weekly event 52), but it lets off enough for new readers to jump in.

I would recommend All-Star, but I would more recommend reading some issues before you buy it, because depending on what you like, you might find it slighlty blasphonous. I like it myself, to me it's the now tradictional "Batman going to the dark side without Robin" storyline, just amped up to further show it; but for you, it might give you something else entirely.

Batman and Detective. Gordon is back, Bruce is back, Tim is back, the classic rogues are appearing to come back...it don't get better than that

ShadowBoxing said:
Batman and Detective. Gordon is back, Bruce is back, Tim is back, the classic rogues are appearing to come back...it don't get better than that

Not exactly classic rogues.

Why did they have to kill of Scarface? Why?! :(

Superman/Batman for sure. You get a good feel for the character in this book. The regular Bat titles haven't been doing so hot lately.

I'm waiting until Grant Morrison jumps on board before I pick up Batman again.

TheFalcon said:
Right now there's only 5:

Superman/Batman has like the title says only 50% Batman and it usually does its own type of stories that doesn't affect other titles much.

I gotta disagree with you there. The most important event in the DCU started in Superman/Batman. And I have a feeling some serious ***** is going to go down in issue 25.

All-star Batman is like a bad dream, but still cool if you dont take it so seriously.

Batman an' Detective both rock. Get 'em both. Do yerself th' favor.

Fledermaus said:
I gotta disagree with you there. The most important event in the DCU started in Superman/Batman. And I have a feeling some serious ***** is going to go down in issue 25.

After the Supergirl from Krypton arc, the DC Universe has been ignoring Superman/Batman. Just like Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, it really isn't that important anymore to continuity.

Fledermaus said:
I gotta disagree with you there. The most important event in the DCU started in Superman/Batman.
Infinite Crisis actually started quite a while before Superman/Batman.

Quite a while before Superman/Batman. Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day. Started only a few months before the first issue of Superman/Batman. And that was the official beginning of all things Infinite Crisis. Issue 6 of Supes/Bats was the first mention of the Crisis.

When something is as good as Superman/Batman I really don't care if they mention what happend in any of the other titles. How many stories in the regular Superman or Batman books are never mentioned outside of those same titles? It doesn't mean continuity is being ignored, it's just that no one else wants to mess with it.

Pick up the first issue of Superman/Batman if you can find it and tell me that it doesn't get the train out the station.

The ride hasn't stopped for me yet. Even after Loeb leaves, I have nothing but high hopes for this book.

What happened in Graduation Day that started the Crisis? Donna Troy's death?

The Death of Donna Troy, and the Titans and Young Justice breaking up. Setting things up for Outsiders and Teen Titans.

This was the beginning point for the Crisis. The first Superman/Batman arc was the second.

I have a Infinite Crisis longbox in my room, I've been keeping track of the Crisis since the beginning, I have just about everything in order, save for some minor tie-in issues.

I've been really digging Detective a lot, because I hate Judd Winnick (whos writing Batman) and I truly believe that the next big superstar writer in comics is David Lapham, who was on Detecrive.

The Leaguer said:
All-Star Batman is, of course, the greatest Batman comic ever to come out. Frank Miller is a genius and his vision is unmatched. If you don't like it then you just don't understand, and clearly hate Miller simply because you jumped on the bandwagon.
Har.

MaskedManJRK said:
Not exactly classic rogues.

Why did they have to kill of Scarface? Why?! :(
Cuz he
sucks.

Batman will be developing a stronger core when Morrison and Kubert get their arc going.
Detective is good with the current crossover with the Batman title.
I think Superman/Batman will be downhill when Loeb leaves the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"