Best Bourne Movie?

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
I am on a bit of a Bourne kick at the moment after finally seeing Legacy and it got me wondering, what Bourne movie do people think is the best today?

A poll was done in 2007 after Ultimatum came out but naturally with it being the newest it won, I just wonder what people think now with the new movie coming and it being a few years since the first trilogy?

For me, The Bourne Identity is still the best of the four movies, loved the non shaky cam and just the way it told the story was the best of the movies for me, it had the best cast as well IMO with Damon, Potente, Clive Owen, Chris Cooper and of course Brian Cox.

I have liked all of the movies, but non of them lived upto the first for me, but what do you guys and gals think?

Last edited:
I loved Supremacy the most personally. Have yet to watch the latest one though, so in the interests of fairness I didn't vote yet :)

I enjoyed Ultimatum mainly because of the brilliant narrative structure that I never imagined they would do. I don't recall a big budget sequel ever attempting something like that before.

The pacing for the movie was also ridiculous. It felt like it was ramping up and never slowed down. Kept you engaged the whole way. Greengrass just knows how to direct and present espionage and spy material along with Powell's score and its simple notes, everything just worked so effectively.

That's why Legacy was such a disappointment. Such a drop in quality even compared to Identity which I also loved and thought was pretty awesome at the time.

I think Identity is second because to me at the time it felt like a spy flick that went back to basics. Kind of stripped down all the modern BS that were killing and weighing down the Bond franchise at the time. Bourne was just one guy with his skills, his wits, and nothing else.

And in Legacy suddenly they are genetically enhanced super soldiers and Aaron Cross needs his crack fix. Boo!

Supremacy because of how dastardly Karl Urban was!

Supremacy has the best action, and I love Bourne's character arc in it.

I rank the Bourne films 2, 1, 3, 4.

I have never see one, I will watch the poll most rated.

Identity for me. The rest devolved into shaky-cam nonsense.

Supremacy. I think it had the best story.

Ultimatum is the one I would call a great film, though I really enjoy all three.

Identity would be great if it wasn't so obviously out done by the first two sequels. It like eating the same pancakes for years, thinking they are great. Then you have some real pancakes and you realize how not great the original ones were. It is still really good, but it can't compare to what came after. Well at least the two Damon sequels.

I dont know just watching them again lately Identity still has the same effect on me as it did when it as released. Supremecy isnt far behind in all fairness, but Ultimatum was a dissapointment to me, especially the big "reveal" once he got to the training facility.

Also in the sequel its really hard to see whats going on sometimes, especially in the action scenes, another thing I love about Identity is that you see everything clearly when the action happens, sometimes in the sequels you have to guesss its that hard to see.

Also, I think the arc he goes through in Identity is the best, not knowing who or what he is, but seemingly finding some peace with that at the end, I know the sequels changed this, but I still feel more fulfilled at the end of Identity than any of the others.

The problem with being able to "see" everything in Identity, is a lot of it is poorly choreographed.

I also never understood the not being able to see things in the Greengrass films. I can make out what is happening perfectly well and it gives the films great tension and urgency.

I'd rank the movies:

1. Supremacy
2. Identity
3. Ultimatum
4. Legacy

I thought Supremacy had the best plot but the cinematography was terrible. Ultimatum's cinematography wasn't much better.

Identity as my pick, all the way.

Legacy to me was a bit silly--if Damon doesn't want to do it anymore, just say that Renner is Bourne. I'm more than willing to accept it. Anyway, since neither the plot nor any of the action sequences in that one even reached Identity levels I'd say it's clearly the worst one.

The problem with being able to "see" everything in Identity, is a lot of it is poorly choreographed.

I also never understood the not being able to see things in the Greengrass films. I can make out what is happening perfectly well and it gives the films great tension and urgency.

I didnt find any of it in Identity poorly choregraphed, in fact I think the fight in Bourne's apartment is the best fight of the series, and the car chase is 2nd only to Supremacy's, I think the action in Identity is some of the best in the series.

And yeah, there are times its hard to make out whats happening in Greengrass's movies, the camera just gets too close, I think it is at its worst in Supremacy, even though I count that as the 2nd best of the series.

I didn't even mind the shaky-cam during the chase scenes very much (though I felt it clearly obscured what was happening in Supremacy's final chase--at least it was abandoned for the final part of the scene which was the essentially memorable part of it anwyay), I could take or leave that to an extent, forgive it. It's that he has it shake slightly during dialogue scenes where people are talking--it's been so overdone that I would only have accepted it if it were done purposefully as a parody. It's not, though.

In terms of narrative, the first one was the most engaging and intruiging. It also had a nice little love story to coat all the exposition with a layer of humanity.

In terms of the technical ingenuity of set pieces, few are better than Ultimatum.

Legacy didn't really do much for me. I would have been cool with the series ending with Ultimatum. It had good symmetry with Identity. Bourne floating motionless in the river, linking to the opening scene of Identity which utilizes a similar image while repeating the same music.

I vastly prefer both Supremacy and Ultimatum over Identity. Those two are almost tied for me, but I think the Desh fight and the ending give Ultimatum the edge.

The Damon Bourne movies are my favorite cinematic trilogy. It's the only one I've encountered which I've felt actually got better with each installment and also managed to stick the landing.

Legacy was...alright.

Easily The Bourne Identity for me, I didn't care much for either of the Greengrass movies, his style is too bleak and I don't like his action, I preferred Legacy to them but Identity still tops the list.

Supremacy, only because Ultimatum's big reveal was just an "aha" thing for me. I don't believe people hadn't actually inferred the truth since movie 1.

The first three are the best movie, seriously they felt like one movie that was well made, a bad ass film!

Last edited:
Well, there was a tonal shift from 1 to 2-3, but yeah, they're consistent enough for me.

Identity easy since its the only one I can see what's happening

Supremacy, only because Ultimatum's big reveal was just an "aha" thing for me. I don't believe people hadn't actually inferred the truth since movie 1.

Thats what dissapointed me about Ultimatum, the whole movie, heck the whole trilogy built upto this reveal once he got to the training facility, and the big reveal was that he volunteered?

Erm okay, we had pretty much already guessed that from the previous events, now give us something better please. But it doesnt, I like the way it ends, with Bourne in the water again and then swimming away, but the previous scene's are very dissapointing.

Identity just felt a lot more satisfying to me, as did Supremacy for that matter, though Ultimatum is better than Legacy.

I have to be honest I'm surprised Identity is in the lead, Ultimatum won a similar poll in 2007 at a canter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"