Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

The Wolverine end credits scene. :o

But seriously, so far it's been kinda "meh" this year in regards to comic book movies, especially compared to last year's one-two punch of The Avengers and TDKR. I enjoyed them all, more or less, but I wasn't really impressed with any of them either. Thor: The Dark World is the one I'm really looking forward to.

I haven't seen Kick Ass 2 yet, but Man of Steel was the least disappointing out of those others.

Justified would be a more accurate word

Indiana Jones trilogy = one great and two good.

Iron Man trilogy = one great and two poor.

Not even comparable

Temple of Doom has only recently been considered good. Last Crusade was considered good but didn't live up to Raiders.

When was Iron Man 3 considered a poor movie? Given how much money it made and how generally well received it was, I'd say its a good comparison to LC.

Temple of Doom has only recently been considered good. Last Crusade was considered good but didn't live up to Raiders.

When was Iron Man 3 considered a poor movie? Given how much money it made and how generally well received it was, I'd say its a good comparison to LC.

It was probably not a financial comparison. TF2 did great at the BO, still a poor movie (no, not that TF2 is comparable to IM3).

Wolverine
IM3
Man of steel

I thought they were all pretty good though.
One thing they all share is great leads who embody the character really well.

It was probably not a financial comparison. TF2 did great at the BO, still a poor movie (no, not that TF2 is comparable to IM3).

Transformers 2---20% Rotten Tomatoes score
Iron Man 3--78% Rotten Tomatoes score.

One movie was generally well received by critics/fans and is the 5th highest grossing movie of all time. The other is a high grossing movie that was panned by critics and fans alike. Not to mention that IMDB scores for TF2 is 5.9. Iron Man 3 is 7.5.

Not sure why Iron Man is always getting dogged on this forum. It isn't a perfect franchise but neither was Indiana Jones. You ignore the stupidity of Temple of Doom and the weak villains of Last Crusade because of how great Harrison Ford is. Same goes with the often ridiculous nature of Iron Man 3 and the mixed response to Iron Man 3's villains because of how great Robert Downey Jr. is. I think Iron Man is the Indiana Jones to Nolan's Dark Knight series is to Star Wars.

Iron Man/Indy--Great/Mixed/Good. Batman/Star Wars--Great/Excellent/Mixed.

Iron Man/Indy-- Groundbreaking (IM1/Raiders), silly (IM2/Temple), back to form (IM3/Crusade). Batman/Star Wars--Groundbreaking (Begins/Star Wars), Genre defining (TDK/Empire), Slightly disappointing but good for the most part (Rises/Jedi).

These two franchises are icons of the mid-late 2000's-early 2010's in the same way Indiana Jones/Star Wars are icons of the late 70's/early 80s'.

I have to say I thought KA2 would be getting more votes, despite the critical response fans seem to really enjoy the movie, comic book fans at least, the GA dont seem interested in it, which is surprising given how popular the first one was.

Well, thats the interesting thing so far this year, there doesnt seem to be a clear favourite amoung the fan-boys, so far its between the 3 major releases of the summer.

It's between IM 3 & The Wolverine to me.Man of Steel was so-so.I have no interest in KA.

I'm leaning towards The Wolverine,but it's close.

have not seen kick ass 2. probably won't be seeing it going by the horrendous reviews by some reviewers i trust. as a film IM3 is the best, though the Wolverine was pretty close. Still did not mind Man of steel but did not connect as much to the film and the action was a bit repetitive

^Trust me on this, the reviews for KA2 are way off, its a great follow-up to the 1st movie. Its not as good as the 1st, but it keeps the heart, tone and humour from the 1st movie and progresses the story.

Very slight edge to Man of Steel. Hopefully Thor 2 is a lot better than the CBM's we've had so far this year.

I would take even the worst of the Indy Trilogy (Temple of Doom) over the best Iron Man film.

Don't know about that one.

Raiders - 10/10
Crusade - 8.5/10
IM1 - 8/10
Temple - 7.5/10
IM3 - 7/10
IM2 - 5/10

Crystal Skull doesn't exist.

The Wolverine of course!

Story over action.

Yet it had the most convoluted story of all 4 superhero films this summer. I saw it twice and I still can't understand how the whole thing fits together logically. By contrast, I only needed to see Inception once to see how it all went together. The rest of the films of summer sure had plot holes and such but they weren't confusing in their plotting, just simple mistakes due to lack of writing skill or simple laziness/apathy.

Convoluted? I don't think it was. The premise of The Wolverine was simple and compare to Man of Steel, it had better story-telling, character development and pacing. Man of Steel felt like a list of bullet points instead of a flowing story, and the characters are barely fleshed out. and the characters didn't feel like they had any genuine connection with each other. It's like, once **** hits the fan, I'm sitting there like "Why am I supposed to care about any of these people when there hasn't been any sort of character or story development at all." The story just kind of bounces around, not giving enough time for us to care about the characters or what's going on.

I don't disagree with your characterization of MoS. It was all that and more. But I could still understand what was happening and why even if I didn't really care all that much. With Wolverine I just can't keep track of who's working for whom and why nor can I keep track of why characters are doing what they are doing much of the time. The whole old Japanese guy and ninjas and the Yakuza and the son and grand-daughter and Viper.....it just wasn't laid out in a way that I could follow. I still don't know why each character was doing what they were doing all that much and that's frustrating.

I don't disagree with your characterization of MoS. It was all that and more. But I could still understand what was happening and why even if I didn't really care all that much. With Wolverine I just can't keep track of who's working for whom and why nor can I keep track of why characters are doing what they are doing much of the time. The whole old Japanese guy and ninjas and the Yakuza and the son and grand-daughter and Viper.....it just wasn't laid out in a way that I could follow. I still don't know why each character was doing what they were doing all that much and that's frustrating.

Thats you though. I know a lot of people here that followed the movie very well.

Thats you though. I know a lot of people here that followed the movie very well.

I suspect they are not people who weren't fans to begin with. I think they are cutting the film a lot of slack unduly. Which is fine, being biased is no crime. But that film doesn't add up. Myself not being a X-Men/Wolverine fan, I have no incentive to cut them any slack.

I personally never had any difficulty following the story in TW, and I havnt read the comic book story the movie was based on. I just felt it followed the previous movies pretty damn well and was a good story in its own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"