Best Comic Book Movie Trilogy Ever?

Fosterson

Sidekick
Reaction score
Which is the best comic book movie trilogy of all time? By which I mean, which managed to sustain the highest level of quality over its three films?

For the purposes of this thread, Avengers 1-4 count as a "trilogy", despite consisting of 4 films, given that they are one continuous story.

I always say The Dark Knight Trilogy because to me, none of the individual trilogies within the MCU are complete because there are other movies that need to be watched to fill in the blanks. For example, the Captain America trilogy is great on its own but there are still large chunks of the story that are missed by not watching the Avengers movies to complete Steve's arc.

An argument could be made for either Nolan's or the Avenger's trilogy. I was one of those weirdos who actually liked AoU better than the original, but was disappointed in TDKR. I would throw in Raimi's original Spider-Man, but, again, the last one was weak. I wouldn't argue with anyone who put those first, but, while they were admittedly in the early days of CBMs, they didn't have the epic build up of the other two.

I’d be lying if I didn’t say Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy. As previously stated, with the Marvel movies (while equally awesome) you still need other films to fill in the blanks. As far as a complete story, nothing IMO comes close to Nolan’s trilogy.

Even if they aren't complete, I can more easily stop on any part of the Cap or Avengers movies.

Hmmmmm....well the greatest movie trilogy of all time has to be LOTR.

As for which is the greatest comic book trilogy

Once upon a time I'd have said Nolan's Batman trilogy, hands down - but each subsequent viewing of TDKR makes me think that a bit less.

I'm going to go with Cap on this one - just because TWS and Civil War took the MCU to new heights.

TDK is still my favourite standalone CBM, but I have grown to really appreciate what Cap's films did for him as a character

Avengers

The 2nd was okay but I absolutel love 1, 3, and 4.

They contain some of my favorite movie experiences ever.

For me, it’s a runoff between TDK, Cap and The Avengers. I love the Nolan trilogy, but it loses some points for how nonsensical the third one was. I still like the film but I feel like the script needed more work. The Cap films are great but the first one has some cheesy moments; the Red Skull in particular just felt silly at times and Cap was overpowered. And the Avengers films had their ups and downs; the second should have been better and I don’t know if it’s fair to call it a trilogy since there were actually four movies. I know the third one was one big story and it was all filmed at the same time but by that logic, then Back to the Future and The Matrix aren’t trilogies since the second and third installments are essentially one movie.

1. Captain America
2. The Dark Knight trilogy
3. The Avengers
4. Spider-Man

Last edited:
Civil War practically was an Avengers movie so it's really just 2 against 5 ;).

Yeah, like most are saying, it's tough to really define a trilogy in the Marvel movies

In terms of pitting First Avenger, Winter Soldier, and Civil War against BB, TDK, and TDKR, I prefer the Cap movies as a whole

But as a "pure trilogy", Dark Knight takes it because you don't need any knowledge outside of those movies to fully understand the story or appreciate its dramatic moments

Civil War practically was an Avengers movie so it's really just 2 against 5 ;).

Civil War is a Captain America film. Just one with a bunch of side characters. The Avengers films try to be ensembles, but Civil War while having the Avengers in it is predominately focused on Cap and Iron Man, and in this case Iron Man serves as one of 2 of the main antagonists of the movie (the other being Zemo)

Civil War is a Captain America film. Just one with a bunch of side characters. The Avengers films try to be ensembles, but Civil War while having the Avengers in it is predominately focused on Cap and Iron Man, and in this case Iron Man serves as one of 2 of the main antagonists of the movie (the other being Zemo)

Civil War is Cap-centric but requires you to know who Iron Man is to resonate.

Civil War is Cap-centric but requires you to know who Iron Man is to resonate.

Which doesn't make it an Avengers movie. You have to know who a lot of other heroes are now in the MCU as these go on. Would you call Thor: Ragnarok not a Thor movie cause you have to know who the Hulk is? Or Spider-Man Homecoming cause Iron Man is in it? This is a faulty argument

Which doesn't make it an Avengers movie. You have to know who a lot of other heroes are now in the MCU as these go on. Would you call Thor: Ragnarok not a Thor movie cause you have to know who the Hulk is? Or Spider-Man Homecoming cause Iron Man is in it? This is a faulty argument

Oh no I don't believe it's an Avengers movie. Just that the Cap films don't function as a trilogy without other inter-connected films informing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"