Best Comic Book Movies Not About Superheroes

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What's your favorite comic book based film that doesn't fall within the superhero genre?

Here's a few from the top of my head.

Men In Black

History Of Violence

The Mask.

Hoping others will have more suggestions.

Sin City, definitely. What about The Crow, is that classed as a superhero movie?

Glass mainly because they drown the hero in a pool of watery mud like a *****... bold choice... divisive, subversive.. automatically makes for great storytelling

Wasn't Stardust a novel instead of a comic? Or is there another one I'm not aware of?

Indeed. I think it's because of Gaiman that we confuse the it as being comic book based. Charles Vess did plates for the book but I don't know if that qualifies as a graphic novel.

Riki-Oh The Story of Ricky.
Sin City.
Heavy Metal.
Road to Perdition.
History of Violence.
Kingsman.
Akira.
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind aka Warriors of the Wind.
Scott Pilgrem.
Oldboy (2003).
Tales from the Crypt the movie.
Vault of Horror.
Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight.
Men in Black.
Red 1 and 2.
The Losers.
Persopolis.
Adventures of TinTin.

Yeah always forget about Men In Black's origin.

Indeed. I think it's because of Gaiman that we confuse the it as being comic book based. Charles Vess did plates for the book but I don't know if that qualifies as a graphic novel.

Technically speaking, it was a four issue run published by DC/Vertigo. You will find it on comic websites and DC's own website, listed as a graphic novel. While it doesn't fit the typical comic book format, who am I to argue with the general consensus and what the book's own publisher calls it?

Technically speaking, it was a four issue run published by DC/Vertigo. You will find it on comic websites and DC's own website, listed as a graphic novel. While it doesn't fit the typical comic book format, who am I to argue with the general consensus and what the book's own publisher calls it?
I wasn't aware it was something done by DC at some point. But it was a prose novel first though, right?

I hated Scott Pilgrim, I mean resolutely detested it, with a level of hate reserved for the most horrible of things.

I wasn't aware it was something done by DC at some point. But it was a prose novel first though, right?

The original comic issues were released monthly in 1997 as how it was original conceived. It was collected into a single volume in 1998. The traditional novel came out in 1999.

1. Road to Perdition
  2. Rurouni Kenshin (all three live action ones)
  3. Dredd (he's a cop, not a super powered character)
  4. Judge Dredd (And I don't feel guilty one bit about this)
  5. Snow Piercer
  6. Adventures of TinTin
  7. Men in Black

By the way, the Mask should count as a superhero movie, cause he's like Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"