Best Costume 'Adapted From the Source Material' Thread

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
Hi all,

With all the Best of & Greatest threads going round at present, thought it would be relevant & prevalent to discuss what we all thought the best 'transitioned' costume (therefore best adapted) from page to screen, people thought was ?

Completely open across all studio's and characters. So, the most faithful to the original concepts would be the main theme of the thread.

Deadpool is a top one as it's very faithful to the comics while being a really out there. Even the emotional effects are kept in.

It may seem controversial to many, but I thought the set of costumes produced for Watchmen where amongst the best for the principal lead characters and in most cases Wilkinson has produced some of the best in the genre full stop.

The words of costume designer James Acheson alone are convincing enough.

It's great that we're now at a stage where costumes are based on specific versions from the comics. These are two of my favourites: the McFarlane/Bagley Spidey, and Miller's Dark Knight.

the-amazing-spider-man-21.jpg

04641e31fd23928adcb7cb9391d9b25c.jpg

They really did nail the Batsuit in BvS. It's still one of the best we've ever seen.

I liked the Captain Marvel trailer but it hasn't made me really hyped as it still doesn't feel like it's showing much. I should, for consistency's sake, applaud that since I think studios generally show too much in trailers (even those that don't give away key plot points) but as advertisement it of course has its drawbacks. While it's the MCU, which has a huge audience, you probably want to make more of a splash when you're advertising a completely new character.

Superman (Reeve suit although Cavill is the best updated suit I have seen)
Batman's suit from Batman v Superman
Iron Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit

Based on Affleck's & the Netflix version, it would appear to be that Daredevil is a tough costume to translate as both weren't particularly accurate, which is a shame, as his comic book look is awesome.

I mean it depends how you gauge a costume. Affleck's is the closest to the comics, but in terms of pure aesthetics, I actually think as a movie costume Bale's costume and especially Keaton's costumes look better (although Affleck's moves WAY better than either once we get away from aesthetics). Another way to say this is that Reeve has the much more comic accurate costume, but in all honesty the one worn by Cavill looks way better.

Anyway, my personal favorites would be the Raimi Spider-Man costume, particularly SM2, and TASM2 costume (even though the movie is bad), as well as Iron Man's costumes in the first few movies. I also think how they retooled the Wonder Woman costume in BvS--and then gave it some much needed color in the Patty Jenkins movies--was a pretty great adaptation that honored the spirit while not looking quite so ridiculous. Deadpool and Black Panther also have some awesome costumes.

So many good ones that I have to pick one for DC & one for Marvel

DC: Batsuit in Batman vs. Superman

This scene where he enters the warehouse felt like it had been ripped out a combination of the comics and the Arkham games. And as my favourite superhero he was always going to take my top spot.

Marvel: Toby Maguire Spider suit

Always loved Spider-Man's suit designs and of all three Toby's is by far my favourite. Nothing against the other two just Toby's felt the most realistic to me.

I'll also add that some movies improve the costumes of the characters. The Penguin and Catwoman in Batman Returns for example are the best they've ever looked in any medium.

Despite my feelings on the film itself, I think that the BVS Batsuit is top tier. All in all I think the Aquaman movie has the best translations from page to screen on DC's side of things. The Reeve Superman suit is also obviously up there as well.

Deadpool
Spider-Man (Raimi series)
Superman (MOS)
Rohrshach (Watchmen)
Iron Man (all of them)

I remember being really excited about the Batsuit in BvS and it is very faithful but something about it doesn't work for me. I know that in comic pages, superheroes all look like competitive bodybuilders but seeing a live action Batman look so... hulking just didn't quite work for me.

I never quite got the love for the Raimi suit; to me, it looks ungainly and inelegant, and the eyes are terrible. Regardless of faithfulnness to the comic, it's not aesthetically pleasing. Whereas the Homecoming costume and the Amazing 2 costume are both closer to the style of the comic, and visually appealing.

spider-man-ps4-raimi-suit.jpg

Gotta disagree on the Homecoming suit. I think in theory it could've worked, but the overuse of CGI really kills it for me. I'll take the Raimi or Amazing 2 suits over it any day.

I agree with @MbJ but I have to say that I LOVE the Romita Sr. eyes on the Homecoming suit and thought it was clever how tech is behind the emoting of them.

Batman suit in BvS. I hope they'll keep this costume even if Ben is out.

Gotta disagree on the Homecoming suit. I think in theory it could've worked, but the overuse of CGI really kills it for me. I'll take the Raimi or Amazing 2 suits over it any day.

I agree that when Spidey is CGI in Homecoming, he looks fake and rubbery (a step back from the CGI of the Amazing films). But that's an issue with the CGI, not the actual costume.

I never quite got the love for the Raimi suit; to me, it looks ungainly and inelegant, and the eyes are terrible. Regardless of faithfulnness to the comic, it's not aesthetically pleasing. Whereas the Homecoming costume and the Amazing 2 costume are both closer to the style of the comic, and visually appealing.

spider-man-ps4-raimi-suit.jpg
I find it aesthetically fabulous, and the lenses look great.

It's great that we're now at a stage where costumes are based on specific versions from the comics. These are two of my favourites: the McFarlane/Bagley Spidey, and Miller's Dark Knight.
04641e31fd23928adcb7cb9391d9b25c.jpg

...except, this costume doesn’t really look like Miller’s that much.

Not only does Batman spend a significant portion of TDKR in blue, grey and with the yellow symbol, but even when he is in the black and grey, the bat logo is completely different, the belt is completely different, the grey is much lighter, and it’s a cloth costume.

This whole idea that Snyder knew how to adapt TDKR needs to die in a fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"