Best DC Film of the Decade (2010-2019)

I haven't seen Rises in years but I do remember liking it. But I'm going with Joker just because I think its a well written movie with some great acting performances and I think there will be a increase in villian centric comic book movies in the near future because of Joker's success.

I'm more surprised by the love for the film quite honestly. I absolutely hated TDKR and was surprised Nolan even directed it--it's his second weakest film to date.

Meh. I'm never surprised when people happen to have a different opinion than me.

At this point, I find all the Russo Brother MCU films overrated to one extent or another. But I can still understand why they're highly praised.

Meh. I'm never surprised when people happen to have a different opinion than me.

At this point, I find all the Russo Brother MCU films overrated to one extent or another. But I can still understand why they're highly praised.
tenor.gif

Yeah I can see where you're coming from.

Man I really remember Rises getting trashed back in the IMDB Board days, but I'm glad to see at least some people have come around to it. It might be the weakest film of the three, but IMO it's still a pretty great and satisfying conclusion to Nolan's Batman trilogy.

I rarely hate or dislike movies. But Rises is unfortunately one of those. Absolute mess of a movie that thinks it's smarter than it is.

Only good thing about it was Bane's speeches.

Of course, everyone should be entitled to their own opinion when it comes to any form of entertainment. I’m just confused when I see certain standards being applied to some movies but they get completely overlooked in others. For instance, a ton of MCU movies get grilled for featuring nonsensical plot devices and predictable/repetitive CGI climaxes, but TDKR is essentially the precursor to DC doing the same thing with the inevitably BvS and Justice League. It’s not just that TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy, it’s as if Nolan was contractually obligated to do a third and had no ideas for where he wanted to take the story after TDK. He uses so many stereotypical final chapter cliches (ex. the past not being entirely what we thought it was, a villain with a connection to another villain from an earlier entry, a successor that leaves the door open to potential sequels/spin-offs).

Of course, everyone should be entitled to their own opinion when it comes to any form of entertainment. I’m just confused when I see certain standards being applied to some movies but they get completely overlooked in others. For instance, a ton of MCU movies get grilled for featuring nonsensical plot devices and predictable/repetitive CGI climaxes, but TDKR is essentially the precursor to DC doing the same thing with the inevitably BvS and Justice League. It’s not just that TDKR is the weakest of the trilogy, it’s as if Nolan was contractually obligated to do a third and had no ideas for where he wanted to take the story after TDK. He uses so many stereotypical final chapter cliches (ex. the past not being entirely what we thought it was, a villain with a connection to another villain from an earlier entry, a successor that leaves the door open to potential sequels/spin-offs).

I'm confused on several points here. First of all what other CBMs get criticism for connecting a villain to another villain in a previous movie, and leaving a successor for a potential sequel? Second, the finale to TDKR is nowhere near the CGI fest you see in the MCU movies. Not remotely. I would even say no more so than the finale to Begins with the fear gas induced chaos of the Narrows/the train of doom showdown/Gordon's romp in the Tumbler. Even the plot set up to that is similar to Rises - villain is using a vehicle to transport a doomsday device to destroy the city, Batman and an ally team up to stop it. So if Begins didn't get slammed for being a CGI fest, I don't see how Batman and Catwoman chasing after a truck while shooting down a few tumblers, and a bunch of kids being attempted to be evacuated on a school bus is the equivalent to some of the big CGI fests of the Marvel movies, or even BvS and JL. Furthermore, since Avengers came out the same year as Rises, and we all know DC was trying to copy the success of the MCU's shared universe (I mean Batman's first movie he was sharing it with Superman and Wonder Woman), it would be far more logical to assume Avengers not Rises was the precursor for the CGI fests of BvS' and JL's finales when you get a bunch of heroes together.

So I don't see any double standards on those points. As for criticism for nonsensical plot devices, you can't possibly have missed the plethora of criticism and nit picking TDKR got for that. Its impossible to have missed that. Half the complaints were baloney, but it still got hammered by fans for it. Not in a million years could anyone accuse the movie of getting a free pass for that.

But despite the flaws its still a great movie and most people like it. That was where this all stemmed from, someone said they are surprised its doing so well on the poll. When its not really a surprise because in reality its only a loud vocal minority that hate it. Its always been that way. For example, take a look at this thread asking people for their top 10 CBMs of the last decade, in the golden age of the MCU era and so many greats to choose from. Rises made most people's lists; Your Top 10 CBMs of the Decade (So Far)

Like I said numbers talk, not repetitive constant bashing from the same small loud crowd. Kind of like the controversy surrounding the Joker movie right now. You see a loud vocal bunch slamming it, but when you look at the general audience reaction they love it. But just because people like something doesn't mean they don't have issues with it. Rises never got a free pass for any of the aforementioned stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean I understand disliking something and I get the negative comments about most things but saying they're applied more to other movies, especially the MCU out of all possible examples, when TDKR is one of the most criticised films in the genre's history makes me think it must be opposite day. And indeed it has to come from a loud minority amongst fandom because the movie still has some of the best audience scores and overall critical reception pretty much everywhere online.

N3qn9N2.png

Not even TWS, CW and Raimi films are on IMDB's top 250 list. Considering that the Avengers' films have bigger audiences, yet are neck and neck with TDKR, in terms of GA score, is testament that Nolan's finale is holding up the test of time.

I don’t get the people that say tdkr is the weakest. From all statistical ratings begins is the weakest. Now if people are saying in there own opinion then I understand. Idk it just bothers me

Having watched Joker on Friday and then almost by accident (my nephew randomly decided to watch it) rewatching TDKR for first time in years on Saturday-- TDKR easily.

I loved WW, but have only seen it the once so would like to revisit. I'm yet to see either Shazam or Aquaman.

1. The Dark Knight Rises (10/10)
2. Wonder Woman (10/10)
3. Shazam! (9/10)
4. Joker (9/10)
5. Man of Steel (8/10)
6. Aquaman (8/10)
7. Justice League (6/10)
8. Batman v Superman (4/10)
9. Green Lantern (4/10)
10. Suicide Squad (1/10)

I don’t get the people that say tdkr is the weakest. From all statistical ratings begins is the weakest. Now if people are saying in there own opinion then I understand. Idk it just bothers me

Yeah, a smaller nerd community has tried to re-write TDKR’s reception in the years since it came out. It was incredibly successful on all counts. And it should have been, it was a good film. Is it flawed? Yeah, it is. I can understand some criticisms, but it’s still easily one of the better Superhero films out there.

Like I said before, it’s the ROTJ of the TDKT, a flawed but satisfying ending to the trilogy.

TDKR getting some love really warms my heart, especially now that it's been a while. I've always felt that it is basically falls somewhere between the Return of the Jedi/King of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Once you get past some of the flaws, there's a really epic and emotionally satisfying movie there. And it's an incredible achievement technically. Also has one of the most memorable villains of the decade, which was no small feat following Heath's Joker. Calling it a CGI-fest also doesn't hold up. It has like 650 vfx shots (with a lot of those being minor touchups and rig removals) compared to the norm of 2000+ for modern blockbusters (Endgame had 2700). The opening plane sequence is all practical, mixed with miniatures for the wings breaking off. They raced a lifesize scale Batplane through the streets of Pittsburgh for the climax. The few CG shots of The Bat there are look great and pretty darn photo realistic, as it was created from a 3D-scanned physical model. TDKR went bigger for sure, but how Nolan tackles scale feels different and more grounded anything else is being done in modern blockbusters. And it was/is VERY refreshing to see.

I rarely hate or dislike movies. But Rises is unfortunately one of those. Absolute mess of a movie that thinks it's smarter than it is.

Only good thing about it was Bane's speeches.

I am still processing how I feel about Joker, there was a lot I liked there-- but I feel like there's definitely a case to be made that it's an even more obvious example of a movie that thinks it's smarter than it is. I think you could argue both Joker and Rises explore the "haves vs have nots" theme about the same exact amount. Which is to say not very deeply really, but it's left there in the backdrop of the story for you to chew on. Which I'm actually fine with, in both cases. I always have said it's unreasonable to expect a movie to come up with "the answer" for an issue that has plagued humanity since the dawn of civilization.

I can certainly concede that Rises is obviously a bigger, arguably more bloated movie that is cramming a lot into its runtime and probably takes a narrative shortcut too many to get where it's going. While Joker very hauntingly and effectively tells a pretty simple story, while leaving a lot of openings for interpretation. The difference-maker for me personally, is that TDKR offers a really thrilling emotional rollercoaster with a lot of heart. For me, the scene of Bruce escaping the pit and the entire ending are priceless additions to the Batman lore.

In a lot of ways its a case of apples and oranges, but with Joker is more of a niche, R-rated, downard spiral film in the vein of Taxi Driver, it can't help but invite the comparisons to the movies its trying to evoke. Which makes me a bit less forgiving of its thematic shortcomings and muddled messaging.

I do like Joker, it's a very beautifully crafted film, and it's a movie that I do think will be worth revisiting in the future. But currently I find myself thinking that if I have to go with the interpretation that none of it actually happened in order to derive something more interesting than what the film presents at face-value, it gives me a lot of pause over whether the movie is really as clever as it thinks it is. Like I said though, still processing it.

It's hard for me to make my list, because I think Joker is definitely in the top 10, probably top 5, but it's tricky for me to rank it at this moment cause I'm still sorting out how I feel about it. It's not an easy one for me to give a knee-jerk reaction to.

I would say tdkr is more return of the king then Jedi since it’s better than Batman Begins and I would say it has equal amount of flaws as begins

TDKR getting some love really warms my heart, especially now that it's been a while. I've always felt that it is basically falls somewhere between the Return of the Jedi/King of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Once you get past some of the flaws, there's a really epic and emotionally satisfying movie there. And it's an incredible achievement technically. Also has one of the most memorable villains of the decade, which was no small feat following Heath's Joker. Calling it a CGI-fest also doesn't hold up. It has like 650 vfx shots (with a lot of those being minor touchups and rig removals) compared to the norm of 2000+ for modern blockbusters (Endgame had 2700). The opening plane sequence is all practical, mixed with miniatures for the wings breaking off. They raced a lifesize scale Batplane through the streets of Pittsburgh for the climax. The few CG shots of The Bat there are look great and pretty darn photo realistic, as it was created from a 3D-scanned physical model. TDKR went bigger for sure, but how Nolan tackles scale feels different and more grounded anything else is being done in modern blockbusters. And it was/is VERY refreshing to see.

I am still processing how I feel about Joker, there was a lot I liked there-- but I feel like there's definitely a case to be made that it's an even more obvious example of a movie that thinks it's smarter than it is. I think you could argue both Joker and Rises explore the "haves vs have nots" theme about the same exact amount. Which is to say not very deeply really, but it's left there in the backdrop of the story for you to chew on. Which I'm actually fine with, in both cases. I always have said it's unreasonable to expect a movie to come up with "the answer" for an issue that has plagued humanity since the dawn of civilization.

I can certainly concede that Rises is obviously a bigger, arguably more bloated movie that is cramming a lot into its runtime and probably takes a narrative shortcut too many to get where it's going. While Joker very hauntingly and effectively tells a pretty simple story, while leaving a lot of openings for interpretation. The difference-maker for me personally, is that TDKR offers a really thrilling emotional rollercoaster with a lot of heart. For me, the scene of Bruce escaping the pit and the entire ending are priceless additions to the Batman lore.

In a lot of ways its a case of apples and oranges, but with Joker is more of a niche, R-rated, downard spiral film in the vein of Taxi Driver, it can't help but invite the comparisons to the movies its trying to evoke. Which makes me a bit less forgiving of its thematic shortcomings and muddled messaging.

I do like Joker, it's a very beautifully crafted film, and it's a movie that I do think will be worth revisiting in the future. But currently I find myself thinking that if I have to go with the interpretation that none of it actually happened in order to derive something more interesting than what the film presents at face-value, it gives me a lot of pause over whether the movie is really as clever as it thinks it is. Like I said though, still processing it.

It's hard for me to make my list, because I think Joker is definitely in the top 10, probably top 5, but it's tricky for me to rank it at this moment cause I'm still sorting out how I feel about it. It's not an easy one for me to give a knee-jerk reaction to.

Wow... your analysis actually made me want to watch the TDKR again.

I just thought the whole "tale of two cities" stuff Nolan talked about was just lip service. The whole thing was half baked. The time scale made no sense. The cops who emerged from the tunnels looked like they had been down there a few hours, not weeks or months.

It's just an incredibly sloppy film I think.

If they took more from No Mans Land, and actually spent more time exploring Gotham in that state, it couldve been really interesting.

It's easy to see how TDKR could have been better with its obvious flaws and plotholes, but its highs are damn high nonetheless, and the overall experience is still pretty great imo, unmatched by most superhero fare.

Shazam just has that magical and fun quality to it that makes it irresistible. I like TDKR, WW and MOS a lot but Shazam is just a satisfying movie.

Joker, well, that movie did not sit well with me at all...

Shazam is great. After the two heavyweights that everyone's already named, it would be my number one.

Joker no contest. You could extend it to "all time" and it would still be in second place.

I want to see more movies like Joker. Marvel has carved out a nice slice of cinema with their action adventure comedies. But there's a lot of pie left and I think the realm that Joker treads through is where it starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"