Best DCEU villain so far?

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by AVEITWITHJAMON, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Best DCEU villain so far?

1. Zod

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Faora

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Lex Luthor

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Doomsday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Enchantress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Incubus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ares

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. Dr Poison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Steppenwolf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Orm/Ocean Master

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  11. Black Manta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Dr Sivanna

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  13. The Seven Deadly Sins

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Honestly Shazam and Captain Marvel were two of the weaker comic book movies I’ve seen. I have no interest in rewatching either of them.

2. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

It's between Zod and Orm for me. Both were good villains, and Orm even had a valid reason for what he was doing (even though he attempted genocide). I liked Faora too, but she was more supporting than actual.

I haven't seen Shazam yet, so I can't comment on the latter two, but all the rest (maybe with the exception of Ares) haven't quite hit the mark.

3. flavioeldritch

flavioeldritch Registered

Lex Luthor.

Also, the best big-screen version of the character so far.

4. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Glad to see Ares get some love, he is another DCEU under rated villain for me.

frankgutz likes this.
  5. B

B [insert witty comment]

[​IMG]

6. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Yup. The way he suckered Superman into opening the box with the kryptonite and his evil exposition about buying up the soon to be coast of California...

..oh wait, did you mean the Jesse Eisenberg character from B v S ? He was playing Lex Luthor ? Really ?

7. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Yeah, now that is a great speech, and Shannon delivers it beautifully because he captures that Zod is teetering between pure rage and utter despair. Say what you want about MOS but that speech deserves more props !

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  8. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Not introducing Lex as a supporting character in MOS was a mistake IMO.

I had an idea of how he could’ve been implemented into the story. Lex could’ve been a hero, he could be the one that discovers the wormhole technology that stops the invasion. He would ultimately be exposed to dangerous amounts of Kryptonite radiation which causes him to get cancer and lose his hair. By the time BVS happened, Lex would be far more developed as a character and have far more motivation to hate Superman.

#58 Rorschach2012, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Deck Rickard and B like this.
  9. B

B [insert witty comment]

Also probably not casting Jesse Eisenberg might have helped as well.

Deck Rickard and Rorschach2012 like this.
  10. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Peter Tingle

I’m really glad I wasn’t drinking anything while I read this or else my laptop would be covered in it.

11. Deck Rickard

Holy **** I love this idea. As a cancer survivor myself, I can attest to the frame of mind it puts you in and (if written well) it could provide a very relatable motivation for Lex, rather than the usual “GRRR I hate aliens!” narrative.

12. 3rdstone

3rdstone Original Manhunter

I haven't seen Shazam yet, and hence can't judge Sivanna (I hope Strong does him justice though, I usually enjoy his work and actually have some expectations here).

In no particular order since I suck at ranking, I'd guess my list of just favourites would include Zod, Faora (yeah, kinda hench woman to Zod more than villian per se, but her impressing stone cold bad ass furiousity (no idea if that's even an English word lol) made me highly appreciate her to the grade of mentioning) and Orm.

Black Manta was cool as well on the screen, although I had slightly more expectations from him, since he was the classic Aquaman villian when I was kid like four decades ago. OTH they stuffed in various villians togheter with origin stories in Aquaman, so that's not really surprising.

Dr Poison is a bit underrated IMHO, I liked her somewhat low key but still comic book-ey villianess. Wished she were used more like.. maybe prominent or something.

And, yeah Violet Davis as Waller isn't on the list, but she was truly great.

BTW a bit off topic, and I know I'm probably alone here, but I've never seen Doomsday as an appropriate villian. To me he's always been more or less a mindless and quite uninteresting monster, that was somehow created just to kill Supes. And with that 90s Death of Superman story, I've always thought (and hoped, which was obviously wrong lol) that Doomsday would be done.

But that's just me. I know lots of people appreciate Doomsday, since he often comes up as a hopeful villian in Superman flicks and I respect that.

Batmannerism likes this.
  13. B

B [insert witty comment]

I saw Shazam at the weekend & I thought Mark Strong was good as Sivanna, he wouldn't break past Zod or Orm for me personally, but I don't think he was a a poor villain by any means.

Mark Strong would have made a fantastic Lex Luthor.

14. 3rdstone

3rdstone Original Manhunter

Now that's a really interesting idea. I could see Strong as Luthor.

B likes this.
  15. Deck Rickard

Yeah, Strong would have made a great Luthor. I don't care if it would have been an obvious choice; he looks the part more than any actor who has played him before (and not just because he's bald, though I suppose that is a big part of it) and he would have given it his all.

16. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Can Waller please be added to this, many thanks.

frankgutz likes this.
  17. Deck Rickard

Viola Davis is probably my favorite actor in the world and even I have to say that she wasn't great as Waller. Sure, the material sucked so I can't fault her too much but she just felt like a somehow boring version of Annalise Keating. When she was asked in an interview recently about movies she regretted making, I can't believe Suicide Squad wasn't the first thing that came to her mind.

18. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Sort this out dude ;) Give DCEU your $$$$. Support them.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  19. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Great call there. Strong would be really good with the right material IMO.

B likes this.
  20. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Oh don't worry; I have every intention of watching it, it's just fitting it in to a currently tight schedule.

21. Grommers

Grommers King Grommers

I don't think youre wrong, specifically in this iteration, and one of my frustrations with BvS. Doomsday is only a good villain, after you realize Clark and the JL pretty can solve majority of earths problems relatively easy. Their isn't as much impact from the character if every fight superman fights is this tough as nails fight, and he definitely becomes this mindless drone in that sense, that's not really different from any other villain.

I felt the death of the superman did a much better job, but again, we needed a movie in between at least showing clark working on his humanization, and villains that just weren't equal to his superior abilities.

22. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I agree with you on the effectiveness of Doomsday but I thought he worked well in BvS. For me he was the symbol of Clark destroying the last (living) remnant of Kryton, his home world, and fully embracing his standing of being Earth’s hero and protector. He even admits as much in one of his last lines, ‘this is my world.....’ then he literally dies to save it.

It helps that I like the fight also. I do wish DD looked a bit more like his comic book counterpart though.

23. MovieSlave

MovieSlave Registered

Zod
    Orm
    Dr Sivanna
    Black Manta
    Ares
    Faora

The rest I don't care about.

24. Grommers

Grommers King Grommers

Ah interesting take, I didn't think of it being one of Kryptons last remnants, but very valid. Although, I felt his battle with Zod should have been the last reference to krypton in general. (Unless you wanted to do S:TAS brainiac with him being part of it, or super girl)
    Don't get me wrong, I think you need a big bad like Doomsday to show up to bring the heroes together, and that list of Villains is relatively small I think that could even go toe to toe with bats, WW, and Supes simultaneously, and ultimately kill Supes for his big return in JL. (Not the JL we got). Specifically a mindless villain, so you didn't really have to show anything but Destruction in his character portrayal, but thats kind of where I felt BvsS shoe horning WW in there, was a mistake, specifically because I don't feel she was integral to the story but I get it since they needed to set it up for JL. (which again I think was a problem with the MoS -> BvsS -> JL route they took. Just needed a bit of breathing room in between.

I think the fight was good, in making bats basically useless which lets me believe he would have taken a more general role than what we got in JL, because he frankly knows hes out classed by a lot of what the JL would go up against, at least from a physical standpoint.

Did you like Zod's and Lex's blood being used to make Doomsday?

I think everyone wanted DD looking better, all I picture is the Lord of the Rings troll haha.

25. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I think Lex corrupting Zod’s body, who Superman thought in MOS was the last remnant of Krypton (hence Supes scream when he had to kill Zod) was effective. Superman was battling with who he was throughout BvS whether he was a child of Krypton or a protector of Earth, so him having to sacrifice himself to destroy the last remnant of his world, and a corrupted version nontheless was effective. I think in Snyders JL this would have been explored further, with Supes fully embracing his role as Earth’s protector.

I kind of agree about WW, but yeah they needed to set up JL, and WW’s was not nearly as awkward as the CCTV footage of the other heroes. She was great in the final battle also.

I’ll be honest using Zod’s body and Lex’s blood to create DD didn’t thrill me, but I thought it worked in the context of what Snyder was going for. Plus I was happy in the knowledge the real DD was still out there somewhere.

And yeah, a bit more jutting bone and more of a monstrous look would have been appreciated. Overall though, I did like DD in the movie.

Grommers likes this.